Best Dominican Music

Jun 5, 2004
I would say that the best Dominican music is La Bachata. It has so much sentiment and it is so good to dance. But on the otehr hand where do you leave Merengue Ripiao which is what moves the country around.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It all depends what you like and if you can and enjoy dancing it. But the merengue and bachata is our own and certainly something to be proud about. Don't make me pick I love both of them and is sooooo hard to have to chose. A bachata gives me an euphoric feeling that I just want to get up and dance, Yoskar sarante's voice or Anthony Santo's guitar moves me to the core. And also there's something inthe base and guitar sound that makes me want to have a drink while I listen, un amargue total.
Peeero, El Merengue Ripiao, wow when I get off that airplane at Santiago and hear the group playing the merengue my feet are moving on their own, that music screams "let's forget the worries and enjoy!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2005
I love listening to and dancing to bachata....

one reason i love listeneing to it , is because it instantly takes me back to my first sense of the DR!!!!!!!!!! its ingrained now. Merenge has its place, mainly because my gf loves it so much.....I cant wait to get really good at dancing bachata.....even though my gf doesnt like it as much as salsa and merenge.

bob

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Interesting point: you know merengue is often very very funny, and there are many merengues that recount the stories of people who have suffered some misfortune, but instead of crying about it the usual response is to laugh. Listen to the words of "la Gallera" by JLG, which has this guy telling you a long list of everything he has lost in the cockfights. It is really funny. Or listen to "El Tigueron" -- another funny one. There are countless examples.

Bachata on the other hand is cry in your beer type of music. Before it was "redeemed" and became generally popular, it was only heard in cabarets, whore bars, and the like. It was never heard on the radio. Its themes were always heartbreak, traici?n, prostitution, drunkenness, and if there was ever a smile in any of it it was rueful at best. Now that is changing a bit, the themes are sometimes lighter (Zacarias Ferreira), but I dont think it has yet acquired the laughter in the face of one's destiny that merengue embodies.

As for dancing the two, I like them both, and Bachata is changing, becoming more complex. In its basic form it seemed a little restricted to me, best suited for seriously drunk people who might risk injury if they were to attempt a turn or a shine. Merengue for me represents freedom and joy, and when you have a really good partner, it is just a great dance. I have such happy memories of dancing to songs like "La Mala Ma?a." Fast merengues, lots of twirling on the floor -- man it is exhilirating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2005
santobonao said:
Hell no, none of those

Merengue is more fun than Bachata

man I miss that point?? clue me in.....

anyway...since I dont know spanish enough to follow the words and comprehend the meaning of a song. I only associate its sound to my enviroment..and when i was in the DR i was always in a positive enviroment...happy excited and in anticipation !!!!!!!!!!!!!ha ha ha

I was thrown into a mix of great weather, care to the wind thinking, beautiful women everywhere, and good times......so when ever I hear those songs I heard early on ...thats what comes to mind.

I dont know about any of you younger people, but the older ones and hear a song from a long time ago..and if that was a favorite song in a good time in your life...you are back there instantly, and in a good mood.

whenever I hear songs from the time frame that I fell in love for the first time....I think of those good times!

same goes here for the bacahta songs...i have no idea what they are singing about....it sounds good and I remember the good times..

dont forget to give me a clue what "none of those" means when there were only three types of songs mentioned... and then you say you like one and not one other ......ha ha ha

bob

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
He's the man!!! :chinese:

x3e51u.jpg

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Potato_Salad I agree Frank Reyes is awesome!!

I love both Bachata and Merengue but I must say my favourite is Bachata love love it! My friends call me a bachatafreak lol I can dance all night to both kinds of music and add a little salsa my perfect night out :)

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
Yo tambien......:chinese: Frank Reyes is fabulous. I just saw him in concierto at the car wash in Sosua on the 15th of April. Sounds just like his CD's.
Enjoyed hearing many of his older tunes and "Por el alcohol" y "Princessa" ....along with drinking many grande Presidentes.

:cheeky:

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
Its All Good. How Can Anyone Listen And Not Want To Move. When I Hear Bachata, It Makes Me Feel Like Having A Baby! Soft, Slow Bachata's Sound Like Lullaby's. I Lose Touch With Reality When I Hear Them.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Paniagua and Luis Segura (only his old songs like Dejame Ya, not the new one's) does it for me.

Also Juan Lockward (he died recently) has some melodies that are beyond perfection, in my opinion. All you Puerto Plate?os should listen his song he made in honor of Puerto Plata. You know, the one that goes like this "yo naci en la falda de loma, yo naci a la orilla de la mar... Puerto Plata, pueblito encantado, mi sue?o dorado.... etc"

Dominican music at it's best.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Stodgord said:
The best DR music of all is Palo music. It revives your mind, soul and body.
Well yes, if you are into brujeria and stuff!:cheeky:

(I'm only kidding, although whenever I hear someone with that music the first thing that comes to mind "hmm, parece que esa persona esta monta");)

-NALs

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
NALs said:
Well yes, if you are into brujeria and stuff!:cheeky:

(I'm only kidding, although whenever I hear someone with that music the first thing that comes to mind "hmm, parece que esa persona esta monta");)

-NALs

Although it is attributed to brujeria, I see it as music for a cultural ritual. I like it because it is taboo in the mainstream of Dominican society. I wish Dominicans could be more independent in their thinking and belief, more accepting and less judgemental. Bachata was the same way and look where it is now, international y dando pela.

Kinito where are you....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Og?n Baleny?, Og?n Baleny?, Og?n Baleny?...

Stodgord said:
Although it is attributed to brujeria, I see it as music for a cultural ritual. I like it because it is taboo in the mainstream of Dominican society. I wish Dominicans could be more independent in their thinking and belief, more accepting and less judgemental. Bachata was the same way and look where it is now, international y dando pela.

Kinito where are you....

Early this year, during the presentation of the CASANDRA music awards, Kinito Mendez was prevented from playing one of his folk themes by band leader Ram?n Orlando, a practicing Evangelical Christian, who considered Kinito's music 'brujer?a' and inspired by the devil...

-

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Stodgard, there is a woman who lives in NY but comes back every year to her pueblo near Bayaguana and throws a huge party for everyone in the campo. it is a night of fiesta and palos, lots and lots of palos music. You are absolutely right it is more than just "brujer?a", it's a very important cultural ritual, and a precious treasure. Blessings on Kinito by the way.