Mailing to US

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Can you recommend how to send media mail (books) from Sosua to the US? I know there are companies that send bulk back and forth - but does anyone deal directly with either DHL or Federal Express?

What's the timing, is it expensive, and are you satisfied with the service?

I did meet Angie Wolf and EPS. I'm using her for homeowner's insurance so far.

I would be using these kind of services on a temporary basis, as I plan to visit for extended periods of time.

Thanks.
Ro

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on just how important the books are, I'd say use International Express mail from the Post Office.

If they are important, you should know that Business Mail is a lot cheaper than EPS while UPS and FEDEX an DHL are a lot faster and more ecpensive.

If there is a lot of weight, schlep it to t he airport and send it by Air Cargo, if possible.

Cordially,

HB:D:D

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Dear HB

I'm looking for cheaper than EPS, but want them to get to the buyers within at least a week. They're not heavy - about 2 lbs each.

Is Business Mail through the post office, or another company?

Thanks.
Ro

mikeo1313

Nov 22, 2005
I have the answer

high class priority muling.. you turn the paper items into a compost like putty...

hang out in the hangar of AA @ POP airport,, you tag with vaporizable tape on a timer that will let loose the package once the plane is over a USPS cart.

Don't forget pre-paid postage or else they might sell your books on the black market. So be careful

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Sounds risky, unless I'm missing the humor.

I'm looking for a tried and true way to get the books where they need to go with the least amount of effort and the most amount of safety at the best price possible.

Does it exist?

Thanks.
Ro

PrincessDianne

Apr 28, 2006
Drro said:
Can you recommend how to send media mail (books) from Sosua to the US? I know there are companies that send bulk back and forth - but does anyone deal directly with either DHL or Federal Express?

What's the timing, is it expensive, and are you satisfied with the service?

I did meet Angie Wolf and EPS. I'm using her for homeowner's insurance so far.

I would be using these kind of services on a temporary basis, as I plan to visit for extended periods of time.

Thanks.
Ro

Try to visit Insurance-Quote-Free maybe it might help. This is usefull and you can compare the premiums to other insurance available out there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I would use business mail out of Puerto Plata or Santiago. We frequently ship samples that are not very heavy (2 to 4 lbs) through business mail and they arrive in the US or Canada within two or three days. On the US side you can choose whether you want to use ground or air freight. Our small shipments usually leave here same or next day. Take a look at the weight/size ratio for airfreight and design your packaging or box to optimize this weight/size ratio - this will give you your shipping costs exactly. I think you'll anyway find that it is too expensive to ship books from here, unless the books themselves are expensive. Our 2 to 4 lbs still work out to around US$20.00 even with an optimized box size to weight of contents.

Your other and better alternative is to ship in bulk to a distributor in the US. Take a look at for example the EBay distribution facilities through what they call EBay stores.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks everyone for all the info. It's clearly not cost effective to send my books from here. So what would I do? Send them to an Ebay type store and they would in effect become my fulfillment house for a fee? I'd email them instructions, etc. Is that how it works?

Thanks.
Ro

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for that. I think I'll check out fulfillment houses here in the States. I know of a couple that have good reputations, don't know their prices or if there are minimums.

Thanks for your help.
Ro