AIDS Orphanage

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I am hesitant to post this, but my spirit tells me that I must. I was reading the Monaga website today and came across a blog that encouraged readers to contribute what they could to La Casa Rosada, an AIDS orphanage in Santo Domingo. As I think all those who read this board know, the spread of AIDS is a serious problem in the Dominican Republic. What most do not think about are the children. The importance of all of the debate that we have engaged in here about gay and lesbian rights, and about whether one comment or another is homophobic, or who is or is not of good will, pales, when juxtaposed to the needs of the children who have been affected by this fatal desease. I encourage everyone to find a way to contribute.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This might seem very strange, but I am going to tell you that Casa Rosada does not need your money as much as do several other places dedicated to the same thing. Casa Rosada has several very powerful fund raisers and has the entire Grupo Ramos behind them (La Sirena and Pola).

Here is a list of other, much needier places for your charity and help.

In Santo Domingo:
Fundaci?n G?nisis--Irene Butler 809 227 8363
Proinfancia--Josefina Ch?vez
Activo 20-30--Rosa S?nchez
Remar
Asolsida
Bra Dominicana (works in Bateyes and just received funding from Clinton Foundation)

In La Romana:
Grupo Paloma--Ingrid Bret?n 809 431 9618

All these people work with HIV+ children. Some also work with adults.

I will post more information on them shortly--Like tomorrow.

HB :D:D:D

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks HB! My objective truly is to do good work and to encourage others to do likewise. I don't know what's going on on the ground in the DR and I am really happy to know DR1'ers who are on top of this who can inform me. Thanks again.

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Aids Volunteer

Hillbilly,

Are there any such organizations in Puerto Plata? I would love to donate there. Mario

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a government agency in Puerto Plata, SEPROSH, that works with those suffering from AIDS, including children. I have, on occasion, directed donations received to them when the items were ones usable for children with AIDS.

Also in Puerto Plata are several homes for profoundly disabled children. They do not have AIDS but suffer from physical and mental handicaps.

Let me know if you would like more information

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know of two of them:

Integraci?n Juvenil and
Mustard Seed

Both are excellent and well run operations that can use all the help they can get.

HB :D:D