caribe tours

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
how long is the bus ride on caribe tours from santo domingo to sosua.How much is the bus ride also.I think it leaves every hour.BUt how long is the ride. Brian

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Brian said:
how long is the bus ride on caribe tours from santo domingo to sosua.How much is the bus ride also.I think it leaves every hour.BUt how long is the ride. Brian
They leave every hour, on the hour, from 6 AM to 7 PM.
I think they average 4 1/2 hours.
If they put they AC on full, you might want to have a long sleeve shirt with you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Current price is RD$240 per person.

Figure 4.5 hours. Depending on lots of things, including traffic in SD and on road from Santiago to Puerto Plata, could be a little more or a little less. Travel time includes about a 15 minute stop in Santiago where you can use the bathroom and get something to eat and drink.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Travel time includes about a 15 minute stop in Santiago where you can use the bathroom and get something to eat and drink.
But keep an eye that any luggage that you may have placed underneath the bus is not offloaded at any of the intermediate stops.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
But keep an eye that any luggage that you may have placed underneath the bus is not offloaded at any of the intermediate stops.

Have you had a problem? I've been riding the bus for almost 20 years and never have had a luggage problem, or hear of anybody who has. If you have had a problem of somebody taking your luggage, it would be the first I have heard of.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Have you had a problem? I've been riding the bus for almost 20 years and never have had a luggage problem, or hear of anybody who has. If you have had a problem of somebody taking your luggage, it would be the first I have heard of.
Yes, I saw my dufflebag loaded in Santo Domingo, and it mysteriously disappeared when I went to get it after I got off the bus in Puerto Plata. I'm sure it was a honest mistake by somebody who took it in Santiago. ;) I hope they didn't mind that it was full of dirty laundry.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ken said:

I am glad to hear that! I will be taking the Santo-Sosua ride next month. Do you get a reciept for luggage? Is there insurance?

I also read that Metro provides better servce to POP than just take a taxi publico to Sosua. Help!!!! Which is better?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bigbird said:
I am glad to hear that! I will be taking the Santo-Sosua ride next month. Do you get a reciept for luggage? Is there insurance?

I also read that Metro provides better servce to POP than just take a taxi publico to Sosua. Help!!!! Which is better?

What do you mean better service? Rather, how much better than Caribe Tours is worth spending RD$500-600 for a taxi to Sousa, more than double the bus price from Santo Domingo?

Caribe Tours has air conditioning, buses leave on time, only one passenger to a seat, buses are clean, drivers are capable.

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
Ken said:
Caribe Tours has air conditioning

caribe tours is a freezer on wheels. i will never use it again, if you are on holidays and get a cold on a 4 hours bus ride, say thanks to caribe tours. did you know that the driver has no option to adjust the air conditioner in the bus. thats why caribe tours is always the same story since ten years... cold...cold...cold. everyone is complaining, nothing happens.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
drtampa said:
Does Caribe Tours continue east from Sosua to Rio San Juan- Playa Grande?
no,ends at Sosua...no caribetours going to that area....meed to catch other guagusa...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
andy_089 said:
caribe tours is a freezer on wheels. i will never use it again, if you are on holidays and get a cold on a 4 hours bus ride, say thanks to caribe tours. did you know that the driver has no option to adjust the air conditioner in the bus. thats why caribe tours is always the same story since ten years... cold...cold...cold. everyone is complaining, nothing happens.

Sometimes it is true that it is quite cold, but other times it is not. And sometimes it starts cold but soon warms up due to the sun and body heat.

Anybody who knows anything about riding Caribe Tours, and that should include readers of this message board because it has been talked about often enough, keep an extra shirt or sweater handy just in case the bus they are taking is one of the cold ones.

Btw, whenever I have ridden a cold bus, I have never heard anybody complaining. Dominicans don't make a fuss about things like that, just foreigners who neglected to have with them something to put on if it was cold.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
drtampa said:
Does Caribe Tours continue east from Sosua to Rio San Juan- Playa Grande?

The bus from Santo Domingo to Sosua stops at Sosua.

However, there is a Caribe Tours bus that goes from Santo Domingo to Rio San Juan. Departures from Santo Domingo at 7:30 and 9 am and 1:00, 2:30 and 3:30 pm. If the Rio San Juan area is your destination, that is the bus you should take. Rio San Juan is a long way from Sosua and it could be quite expensive if you take a taxi.