Bachata & Merengue at Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coconutgirluk

Apr 10, 2006
We are planning to stay Puerto Plata area for two weeks this July. We prefer staying in a villa, maybe half cooking and half eating out. We would like to scuba diving and dancing Bachata, Merenge or Salsa.:cheeky:

Through my reseach Cabarete seems nice as they don't seem to have massive all-inclusive hotels, and there are some chances to meet nice locals. Compared to Sosua, Cabarete seems smaller but sounds more cosy.

My question is that which town would be hot to dance Bachata and Merengue on the north coast? We like latin music very much, so we want to visit latin bars or places for locals where they play latin music, rather than somewhere with American/European music only.

Focused on Cabarete, I read Cabarete has bars on the beach and people dance on the beach at night. Does anyone know what kind of music they play? Do locals come out on the beach and dance too? Or they go somewhere for themselves?

Cheers! ;)

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I know Cabarete has it's fans. How it can be considered as more "cosy" than Sosua is a mysterium to me. The only street in "town" is the highway with heavy trafic.

Apr 10, 2006
I just stayed in Cabarete for a week.... I just got back about 10 days ago. There is dancing.... any night of the week. The bars tend to be approx. 65% tourists and 35% locals... The music that was played started out mostly in English. The played hip-hop and stuff you would hear in clubs in the US. And then as the night went on more and more music in Spanish was mixed in. They really did not play bachata or merengue... it was more reggaeton and the popular.... Juanes, Shakira, and other countless Spanish pop singers.
I am sure there are clubs where the locals go to dance bachata and merengue... they do not appear to be any of the locals on the beach in Cabarete. I think there are some in Sosua and Puerto Plata for sure.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Sad,but true there is no latino dancing in Cabarete

The only place where you were able to dance to Merengue, Bachata and Salsa music in Cabarete is now closed. Las Brisas used to be a very popular place to dance. I live in Cabarete from November to end of April and miss that kind of music and dancing in Cabarete. You can dance at Onno's and Bambu every night, but it's only raeggeton, techno.....
You are probably better off in Sosua where they have several discos. I hear that the new place Sea-crets (not sure of the spelling) is quite nice.
Your only other chance to dance is to go a little out of town to one of the Tipico Bars on the main streets of most little towns. But then you are dependent on a car or taxi.
Can I plead with anyone to re-open Las Brisas?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Tipicos is where you gotta go.....

Off to Sabeneta de Yasica which is East of Cabarete (5 miles or so) Stop at the "Bomba" (Isla Gas Station). You can get started there with some cold drinks and get started on your merengue and bachata. Ask where the Tipico is there and they will guide you there.

Going West of Cabarete you got a Tipico just outside of Cabarete on the right hand side which is called the "Archway". However although they play merengue and bachata there is also a low class element there (putas and their chulos). Sosua has some clubs (which also have sankies, putas and chulos as well as a million gringos) but if you are seeking the "local feel" keep going West towards Puerto Plata. Pass the airport and a few miles on the right there is a small car wash on the right hand side. But since you are out that far might as well keep going and go into Monte Llano which has 2 tipicos right next to each other on the left hand side. Puerto Plata has plenty of places also. You will be just fine and will have a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.