Driving Directions from Las Americas Airport to Casa Del Mar in La Romana

lisaandra

Apr 11, 2006
Hi,
In August I'm vacationing in La Romana. I'm renting a car, so I need driving directions from Santo Domingo to La Romana.. I was told it's about an 1 hour 1/2 drive. Can someone tell me the best way to drive there?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You need to drive east on Las Americas Highway. Key words are Autopista Las Americas, Boca Chica, Playa Caribe, (San Pedro de Macoris), La Romana, Casa de Campo, Bayahibe.

At one point you can take the expressway or the old route. The expressway will save you about 20 minutes, but I think because the signage is poor you could make a wrong turn and get lost more easily than the old route where there are lots of people to ask. Anyway, if you decide to try the expressway (which means you do not pass by San Pedro de Macoris city), just swerve to the north where the highway suggests you take the Boulevard. Just follow the sign to La Romana. There is a detour that passes besides Cemex cement factory because the main bridge for the expressway is still under construction, but there is only one road.

Go East all the time until it takes you slightly south and then you turn left to take the road to La Romana that is under expansion to become the Avenida del Coral.

That road will take you then to La Romana town. When you get to the traffic light in La Romana, take a south turn and that follow that road south and then east. Just stay on the main road. Flow with the traffic. That road will take you to the rotunda that says La Romana free zone or Casa de Campo. You want to pass Casa de Campo and keep going. Past the La Romana Airport, and the new construction of La Estancia Resort in El Limon. Then, in about 20 minutes from Casa de Campo's entrance, you get to the big gate for Bayahibe that is on the road to Higuey and Punta Cana.

There you turn south and head that road until you see the sign to Casa del Mar that will be the first entrance along the main road.

For first timers, I recommend following Las Americas highway east all the time, not taking the swerve to the left (north) to take the expressway. Not that the expressway is difficult, just the signage is poor and if you make a wrong turn, there is practically no one to ask.

From Las Americas airport you will pass Boca Chica, Playa Caribe (Caribbean Sun beach site), Guayacanes and then take the Boulevard (instead of the swerve to the north for the expressway) through Juan Dolio that will put you into San Pedro de Macoris. From there, drive through San Pedro de Macoris following the main road. In San Pedro just ask to confirm that you are on the way to La Romana.

Then follow the same directions to get to Casa del Mar.

I recommend driving in day time, and asking along the road.

You may even find someone headed in that direction that you can tail.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hi Lissaandra and welcome to DR1. The directions that Dolores gave you should serve you well but if you should have any fears then don't worry as the people on this beautiful island will be very willing to help you get to your final destination so don't be afraid to ask.

When your vacation is finished and you get back home then we hope that you will post a trip report in the Trip Report Forum so that we can see how your vacation went. Enjoy. Anymore question please don't hesitate to ask.

Rick

lisaandra

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks!!!

Wow!! This is great!!! Thanks for the quick reply. Also, once we get there, we want to try authentic food from the dominican republic.. Is there any spot along the way to La Romana that we can stop and get a bite to eat? I love mofongo with shrimps, so u have an idea ;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Lisaandra,
If you take the old route as Dolores suggested you will have no problems experiencing authentic Dominican food. I'm sorry that I can't provide the names of any eating establishments along the way but I'm sure that someone will reply to you a little later with your requested information.

Rick