move over Vonage, and hello Lingo

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Seems like if you ask everyone about a good inverter brand, people just seem to spit out Trace and when you ask about a good VOIP phone, the name Vonage comes to mind. Vonage is a good system and lets you call USA unlimited for a fixed low price. Now if you are not american and has to make calls to europe, then I guess vonage is not much of a use to you folks. After doing a little research on my own, I came up with Lingo Voip Phone. When I asked around for this phone, turns out that my nephew had it in use all along in USA. I had spoken to him on a numerous times and never knew the differance.
Now Lingo phone is a bit better than Vonage in features. In addition to calling USA and canada unlimited, you can also call a bunch of western european countries for free as well (fixed land lines only, no cell).
Here is a cut and paste from their webpage.

*Western European subscription includes calls from Lingo subscriber to the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Luxembourg, Vatican City, Norway, Portugal, and Spain. Calls to mobile phones, premium and special service numbers in these areas are not included. US includes AK, HI, PR, USVI and calls to cellular phones.

After making sure this system was more superior to Vonage, I convinced my DR1 friend "el tigre" to try it out. He was baggering me for info on vonage for his family in santiago. I mentioned lingo so he went out and subscribed to the system. He showed up in santiago with the box and wires, but he had trouble conneting it to dsl in his aunt's house. To my surprise, lingo costs less than vonage and gives much more broader service. When I connected the lingo box, I was able to make calls to usa. I was amazed at the quality of the voice. It sounded better than telephone lines. My sister in atlanta thought I was calling from atlanta. Then I asked her to call me back on the local USA number that showed up on her caller ID and surely enough, the phone rang in santiago. It was amaging. The sound quiality is far better than Vonage.
I must admit, I had trouble connecting the unit to dsl. the moment I connected the unit to dsl modem and then connected the PC through the lingo unit, I lost internet to PC. After a helpfull chat with the lingo support tech and a little chat with verizon tech (for DNS entries) I was up and running. El tigre is a happy chappie and so is his family. Now I get to drink a few free beers in cabarete this weekend, thanks to el tigre.

Webpage to lingo is : http://lingo.com/voip/residential/unlimited_internet_phone_service.jsp

Good luck.
AZB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
What about Skype?

Does Skype work in the Dominican? In the States if you have Skye, anyone else that has it also can talk for free. And it costs nothing to install.
www.skype.com

Ro

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Dont get all this ! I Use VOIP Stunt. 10 Euro Deposit every 6 months and all the calls I can make for free , Excellent connections .....Why are you all paying Monthly ? I can Call about 40 Countries as well! Am I missing something here?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
jojo, you can't receive calls on stunt. The guy installed the phone here so people can just pick up the phone and dial and receive calls. These folks know little about computer programs, much less calling from it. The guy installed the phone here so he can call the phone at will.
AZB

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
On SKype you can make PC to PC calls for free - make sure the person you want to speak to has a computer and you're free ... if you want to make calls to (or receive calls from) land-lines then you have to pay ....

Stay well,
Amy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
amy2761 said:
On SKype you can make PC to PC calls for free - make sure the person you want to speak to has a computer and you're free ... if you want to make calls to (or receive calls from) land-lines then you have to pay ....

Yes, you pay to call land-lines, but not much. A call to US from DR costs 2.2 cents a minute.

dreivitt

Mar 7, 2006
My wife and I will be moving to the DR later this year so I thought I'd research Lingo from the U.S. Their response follows which, if this is their official position, I'd be leery of trying their service from the D.R.

"The Lingo service is for U.S. customers based in the continental United States. While the service will work overseas, it is not meant to be used from an international destination on a permanent basis. Any account that has excessive usage from overseas would be deactivated. "

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
voipstunt

Hey AZB ,

Okay , I get it. A Phone and all. Okay ............

Well i am trying to use up my 10 Euros before they expire. When we call to la Romana for my wife's mom for example we pay .03 EUR per minute which is about 1.2 Pesos and when we call to celulars on the 809 or 829 we are paying 5.3 Pesos per minute. (About .12 Euro) . Its hard to use up the EURO's and the connections are great ! Especially locally ! And no I have no financial interest in any of it ....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
dreivitt said:
My wife and I will be moving to the DR later this year so I thought I'd research Lingo from the U.S. Their response follows which, if this is their official position, I'd be leery of trying their service from the D.R.

"The Lingo service is for U.S. customers based in the continental United States. While the service will work overseas, it is not meant to be used from an international destination on a permanent basis. Any account that has excessive usage from overseas would be deactivated. "
My friend "el tigre" from this message board has been using this lingo service from santiago for months now. Don't worry about that the website says.
AZB

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have a vonage phone here is santo domingo and also use skype for work related stuff. I like the fact that the vonage can also do fwding and "simulring". I can set it to ring my us cell phone at the same time so people can dial my vonage phone and get me at home here or in the states if traveling.

Skype is great for conference calls etc for work. We just did one with myself here in SDQ, and others in colorado, texas, kansas and california. Worked well.