Charges for electricity,water and cable

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Hi all

Help required. Im looking into renting a modern apartment long term - the rental is very resonable. My question is that the electricity, water and cable charges are not included. On a typical 2 bed, 1 bathroom apartment with 24 hr power how much do you think i would be looking at per month for all 3 services? If it helps i would be looking to have the water heater on at least 3 times a day - im British and i dont do cold showers !!!! Also there will be people sharing accomodation.

I dont expect an exact figure but a ball park figure would be great to help with my budgeting.

Many thanks in advance.

C

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Power: 24/7 power requires an inverter or generator...so is one installed...or do you have to install yourself. Will you have an A/C and how much do you project to run it. Excluding an A/C I estimate your bill will run 800RD per month.

Water: Cheap, 200RD per month.

Cable: Cheap, 450RD per month.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Thanks for that - sounds well within my budget. As for electricity i think its is supplied by the new power plant hence no blacksouts or very very few.

I think im going call agent and ask her - lets she what she tells me !!!! Test her honesty lol.

C

Snuffy said:
Power: 24/7 power requires an inverter or generator...so is one installed...or do you have to install yourself. Will you have an A/C and how much do you project to run it. Excluding an A/C I estimate your bill will run 800RD per month.

Water: Cheap, 200RD per month.

Cable: Cheap, 450RD per month.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
crazydaisy said:
Thanks for that - sounds well within my budget. As for electricity i think its is supplied by the new power plant hence no blacksouts or very very few.

I think im going call agent and ask her - lets she what she tells me !!!! Test her honesty lol.

C
If you are referring to electricity supplied by the Playa Dorada plant, yes you will have more reliable electric service, but the rate charged is much higher than that charged by the other supplier in Puerto Plata. You probably should figure at least 50% more.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You did not say where the apartment is located, but if I recall from your previous posts, you were looking in Puerto Plata. There are a few upscale neighborhoods, such as Torre Alta with reliable power, but I wouldn't count on it! Especially since you said the rent is reasonable. You should be thinking about an invertor system if 24/7 electricity is important to you.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
The agent is emailing me all the details and hopefully answering my questions. I believe the apartment is in the El Doral part of Puerto Plata. I obiviously wont take it unless myself or my partner view it properly (he may have a look at it today when he finishs work) . I'm over on the 15th May and will spend that week looking for somewhere to live if this is not suitable before i move out for good mid June.

Once again thanks for all your responses and if you think i have forgotten anything or should ask certain question i may not have thought of please feel free to set me straight.

C

sweetdbt said:
You did not say where the apartment is located, but if I recall from your previous posts, you were looking in Puerto Plata. There are a few upscale neighborhoods, such as Torre Alta with reliable power, but I wouldn't count on it! Especially since you said the rent is reasonable. You should be thinking about an invertor system if 24/7 electricity is important to you.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
El Doral is on the mainroad, almost in Playa Dorada.
You will be connected to the Playa Dorada powerplant there.
Cable as someone said 400-450 RDS monthly depending on which company, also about 1000 pesos to do the contract if it is not done by the landlord.
Phones forget it there, no connections yet as this is a new neighborhood. ( If you are on the side to the right of EL Doral towards Sabana Grande it works though )
Also no public transportation, only from the mainroad.
Alots of contruction going on in that area, lots of Haitians.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The hot water heater and air conditioner are what most affect the electricity charge. Why do you need to have the hot water heater on at least 3 times a day? Do you take that many showers. Experiment with how far in advance of your shower you must turn on the water heater. 30 minutes should be enough. And turn off the water heater when you start your shower. Use the AC only when you feel you really need it.

I don't think anybody on this board can estimate what your electricity charge is going to be, since so much depends on you. There is a good chance you will be shocked by your first bill, then think seriously about how you can reduce it.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
showers

I dont think 3 showers a day is excessive? 1 in morning, 1 when i return from work and 1 before bed. As for A/C im not that bothered - i feel the cold very easily and a fan for a short time is usually enough. Thanks for the imput.

Ken said:
The hot water heater and air conditioner are what most affect the electricity charge. Why do you need to have the hot water heater on at least 3 times a day? Do you take that many showers. Experiment with how far in advance of your shower you must turn on the water heater. 30 minutes should be enough. And turn off the water heater when you start your shower. Use the AC only when you feel you really need it.

I don't think anybody on this board can estimate what your electricity charge is going to be, since so much depends on you. There is a good chance you will be shocked by your first bill, then think seriously about how you can reduce it.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you don't have A/C and don't plan on it you might consider the following. Look for a place where the summer sun does not hit the roof of your place. That is one reason a top floor apartment is less desirable. If the morning sun or evening sun does not hit your home then that is even better....big trees or a building between you and the sun. The more you can circulate the air the cooler you will be. In one room I sometimes have three fans. You can buy window tint at 20 pesos per foot....to stick on some windows. And I sometimes take up to 8 showers a day in the summer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
crazydaisy said:
I dont think 3 showers a day is excessive? 1 in morning, 1 when i return from work and 1 before bed. As for A/C im not that bothered - i feel the cold very easily and a fan for a short time is usually enough. Thanks for the imput.

3 showers a day? Your board name may be a good one. ;) Just keep in mind that electricity is expensive and the hot water is an electricity hog. If you can't stand cold showers, try luke warm ones. If you keep them short, you should not have to run your water heater for very long.

If your switch doesn't have a light that tells you whether or not it is on, replace what you have with one of those. Easier not to leave it on by accident if you have a light showing whether switch is on.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I shower 3 times a day most of the days...My son even more...
But I rarely put the waterheater on. With the watertank on our roof, the water is nice anyway.
Only on very cold and rainy days the waterheater goes on.
I also put the waterheater on when I am cleaning my sons dirty clothes from trainings, as I want to wash those in hot water.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Also for electricity, I believe a good advice was the one that was given.
Look at the first bill, and then see what you can do about it...
I.e low energy lamps, fans, a/c etc.

More important when renting a place, as they all have electricity, is that you look out for what is important to you:

Do you need public transportation, or is there safe parking for your car, alots of unfishined contructions, shops, colmados etc

- Electricity
Does the place have generator, inversor and is it included. If so what hours, or all the time? This varies alot.

- Phone, internet etc.
Possible or not.

- Water
Is it with a tank on the roof or an electric pump, and if so is the pump on when electricity is off?

- Neighbours
Kids, dogs, expats, locals etc - Is this what I want?

And finally, the most important question, in my humble opinion, is always to ask yourself before renting something anywhere is, "Why is this apartment available for rent? "...

Be critical.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A very good list, carina.

What else does your family do besides take showers? ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ken said:
A very good list, carina.

What else does your family do besides take showers? ;)

Well..things that makes us need to take showers!:cheeky:
More seriously, a shower in the morning to wake up, a shower late afternoon to be fresh for the evening and shower before going to bed seems normal to me....
:squareeye

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
As always Carina wise words from you. I dont want to rush into anything but i do need to try and get something sorted in the week im over so i can move in straight away when i come over for good. Its pretty difficult do this from the UK.

That way i will know what i need to bring over in the way kitchen utensils and towels and bedding.

Dont quote me but im sure Egyptian cotton sheets and towels are not readily available in Puerto Plata and if they are they wont be cheap. So much to sort out and i feel so frustrated at times.

Once agian thanks for everyones imput.

carina said:
Also for electricity, I believe a good advice was the one that was given.
Look at the first bill, and then see what you can do about it...
I.e low energy lamps, fans, a/c etc.

More important when renting a place, as they all have electricity, is that you look out for what is important to you:

Do you need public transportation, or is there safe parking for your car, alots of unfishined contructions, shops, colmados etc

- Electricity
Does the place have generator, inversor and is it included. If so what hours, or all the time? This varies alot.

- Phone, internet etc.
Possible or not.

- Water
Is it with a tank on the roof or an electric pump, and if so is the pump on when electricity is off?

- Neighbours
Kids, dogs, expats, locals etc - Is this what I want?

And finally, the most important question, in my humble opinion, is always to ask yourself before renting something anywhere is, "Why is this apartment available for rent? "...

Be critical.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hidelisa has very good towels and sheets, in all brands, incl. imported.
I don?t know about European brands, but US quality brands are about the same here as in US.
It is in the furniture part of Hidelisa, not the textile shop.

As for apartments, I doubt you can make wise choices from UK.
What?s the rush? It?s your future home you?re taking about.
Arrive, stay with your bf or at a hotel for a few days and look around to find what you really like.
That seems more important than kitchen utilities...no?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Diana11, your comments like " I know", " I see" etc that you put everywhere, and it is the only you ever put, are really not needed.
Please provide opinions, comments, knowledge, questions etc anywhere, but these "I know" seems very strange.. What if we all did that???
Come on. I looked at all your posts, they are all like the one above.
What is it "you know" "noticed"... give it a break.