A silly question?

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
I don't know if this is a silly question or not...but, why is it so hard for Dominican's to leave the country? Is it more of a monetary issue, or does it have something to do with government regulations. I'm just curious about that. I think every dominican i've talked to say it's very hard for them to leave the country, but i've never been given an explanation why. Can anyone help me?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's not the Dominican government that keeps them in it's the other countries that keep them out. There are many countries that Dominicans can go to without a visa but some are not much better money wise than the DR.

So to answer your question it's not hard to leave, it's hard to get in.

And to add; each country has their own set of rules to get in.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do you read the newspapers in the United States? Have you seen television this past week?
ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is a major issue these days, and Dominicans, as well as Mexicans and others from Central America, make up the majority of these folks.

A Dominican General in the armed forces makes less than RD$15000 a mon (legally--not counting his bribe and other rake off money)--Thats like $500 or so.
A school teacher makes a lot less. Minimum wage is around $150 or so.

Therefore, any Dominican that is looking for a visa is looking to get out of here. To Dominicans a one year tourist visa is the same as a one year work permit.

Therefore all nations of the First World demand proof that the visa applicant WILL return to the DR.

Those people that say that it is hard to get out of the DR are 99% illegals or have overextended their visas, betcha!!

HB :D:D:D:D

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Yes, it's both. Most people in the Dominican Republic don't have enough money to travel like people in western countries do, and government regulations in more wealthy countries make it hard for them to enter.
Illegal immigration is a result of that, not the other way round; without visa regulations and residency restrictions there would be no illegal immigrants.
This not only affects the poor, for relatively wealthy Dominicans it's some paperwork as well; if I (EU citizen) want to go to the US I just fill in a tiny piece of paper they give me in the airplane and I'm in. In another thread today there was a story about some government bigshot that turned up at the airport but it turned out he did not have a visa for the US. Ok, that's plain stupidity, buut kind of sad as well.

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
No...I do follow the new and watch TV, but I'm not American. I'm Canadian...so our news won't focus on Illegal immigrants to the US.

Thanks for all your replies....it clarifies things for me.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mamichula24,
Welcome to DR1. As you notice when you ask a question you are going to get a number of answers from our helpful board members. No question is dumb for the person that is trying to acquire information and we are here to help those trying to learn something about the Dominican Republic and its people.

I wish to add to the others that have answered you that there are a lot of Dominicans, of which over half are in the 'below poverty line', have no idea that a Dominican passport is easily obtainable and a required first step to leave this country legally. But at the same time usually out of their reach due to cost.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mamichula: It is the same thing for Canada. The welfare system in both the US and Canada is so inviting that it is a paradise to live on welfare in either country and Canada has Free Medical as well.
Once they are in the country (as if "they" were something foreign:D), the rest of the family follows. And if the first member of the family should gain legal entry through marriage or some other way, you can bet that the rest of the family will follow.
Some have made it big, by dint of hard work and taking advantage of all the good things that these two modern societies provide. Others have made a life of "working the system". I know of one couple in New York that are paying for a condo in Florida with the welfare payments the woman gets because "her husband abandoned her with three kids".....go figure...

And that, Mamichula, is why it is so difficult to get a visa to either of these countries or anywhere in Europe....

HB :D:D:D

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
Putting it that way makes much more sense to me.....we have our fair share of people who "work the system" where I live. I was reading on the gov. of canada website, that if a canadian marries a foreigner and if they immigrate to canada, that person is responsible for them from 3-10 years. That's to make sure that they don't use our welfare system...but I guess there's loop holes in everything. It's different if it's any other type of immigration. If they come in on their own, they are responsible for themselves. That's my understanding of it anyway.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Hillbilly said:
I know of one couple in New York that are paying for a condo in Florida with the welfare payments the woman gets because "her husband abandoned her with three kids".....go figure...HB :D:D:D

I'm glad to know my tax dollars are hard at work!