Third Try

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
I don't know why my posts keep getting deleted; I don't think I'm breaking any "rules" by asking where the heck I can buy baking powder and what it's called down here?!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
DogsRule said:
I don't know why my posts keep getting deleted; I don't think I'm breaking any "rules" by asking where the heck I can buy baking powder and what it's called down here?!

It is called "royal" or "elevadura" and baking soda is called "bicarbonato" . You can buy it in a colmado or supermarket.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's polvo de hornear, not 'levadura' which is yeast. Look on the baking products aisle, next to flour and other cake-related ingredients.
What I've never spotted is self-raising flour. Apparently you can't get it here.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Chiri....you mix a little of AZB's La Pela into regular flour and you get self-raising flour.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My apology... I pressed the wrong button when trying to merge the two threads with the two answers.

I had written to you about checking out the major supermarkets -- Pola, Nacional, Bravo, Jumbo, Carrefour.

Most carry the US brand Calumet baking powder and the local brand Royal.

A poster also responded that it can be found in Messon Supermarket in Puerto Plata.

Tropical Supermarket should also carry it in Puerto Plata in the baking section.

Pretty standard item.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Snuffy said:
Chiri....you mix a little of AZB's La Pela into regular flour and you get self-raising flour.

You've given me an intriguing idea for a new cookbook... :cheeky:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Chirimoya said:
You've given me an intriguing idea for a new cookbook... :cheeky:

Sick puppies .................:bunny: or bunnies I guess.............:lick: :classic:

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Thank You

I used a computer translator for "baking powder" and bought the stuff that turned out to be yeast. Tried to make biscuits, but made skeets!