What's up with this????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not a new scam.
They have been doing it for many years, and it was very popular when I first moved here.
Nowadays, you hardly ever hear of it happening.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I totally accept Rocky's comment that this sort of "scam" has been going on for years & I totally accept that anyone renting things (Cars, motorbikes, windsurfing boards etc) should be aware it CAN happen to them & therefor to cover themselves wherever possible by getting things IN WRITING.

However, that said, I see a couple of probable inaccuracies in the newspaper report.
1) The AMBASSADOR lives in Santo Domingo - not up here on the North Coast. It COULD be that they meant the British Consulate staff member - I will check with him after Easter Break.
2) Why should he need THAT sort of protection when there is the Hotel security & (hopefully) support from the tour company he came with? I would be interested in following that through with the Tour Company concerned AND the hotel concerned!!

It is possible that there is a little more to this than a rogue rental company just trying to scam a tourist. From experience, heavy handed scam artists usually back off fairly quickly once "The Authorities" are involved so as not to draw attention to their scam methods for future tourists - maybe they felt justified in their persuance of their claim for some reason??

I will check what I can & report back next week. IF I can determine the company's name & modus operandi I will report same here next week. If the tourist was over zealous in his refusal to pay for HIS damage to the bike, that too will be mentioned! ~ Grahame.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
BushBaby said:
I totally accept Rocky's comment that this sort of "scam" has been going on for years & I totally accept that anyone renting things (Cars, motorbikes, windsurfing boards etc) should be aware it CAN happen to them & therefor to cover themselves wherever possible by getting things IN WRITING.

However, that said, I see a couple of probable inaccuracies in the newspaper report.
1) The AMBASSADOR lives in Santo Domingo - not up here on the North Coast. It COULD be that they meant the British Consulate staff member - I will check with him after Easter Break.
2) Why should he need THAT sort of protection when there is the Hotel security & (hopefully) support from the tour company he came with? I would be interested in following that through with the Tour Company concerned AND the hotel concerned!!

It is possible that there is a little more to this than a rogue rental company just trying to scam a tourist. From experience, heavy handed scam artists usually back off fairly quickly once "The Authorities" are involved so as not to draw attention to their scam methods for future tourists - maybe they felt justified in their persuance of their claim for some reason??

I will check what I can & report back next week. IF I can determine the company's name & modus operandi I will report same here next week. If the tourist was over zealous in his refusal to pay for HIS damage to the bike, that too will be mentioned! ~ Grahame.
There are usually three sides to the story. One version for each party concerned and the truth somewhere in the middle.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HOWMAR said:
There are usually three sides to the story. One version for each party concerned and the truth somewhere in the middle.
That's a fact.
I wondered how he knew for sure that the owners came and stole the vehicle.
He looked like a hefty boy and the type of guy who would run down to stop someone from stealing.
Nevertheless, it has happened does happen and will continue to happen.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
BushBaby said:
Was this a Dominican Monkey I wonder????? Wasn't quite sure ;) whether to paste this here or in the Sankey Forum though!!!:ermm: ~ Grahame.

:laugh: :laugh: anyway, where is Paraiso Delfol in Puerto Plata?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
:laugh: :laugh: anyway, where is Paraiso Delfol in Puerto Plata?
It's actually "Paraiso Del Fool" and it's where old ladies go with their Paki-sankies to play with the monkeys.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
It's actually "Paraiso Del Fool" and it's where old ladies go with their Paki-sankies to play with the monkeys.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: too funny! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The article is priceless. It's more about the attitude of many of AI patrons (the 'being taken over by local people' comment) than the AIs themselves. It's really little more than a local newpaper's desperation to squeeze the most out of a non-story, as well as a lesson, a la 'eats, shoots and leaves', in how not to punctuate:

...and now I cannot go anywhere near my grandson or my daughters who are pregnant because of the risk.

...which if you read it quickly gives the impression that the monkey was responsible for not just the daughters, but also the grandson, being pregnant.
That's the real sensation the paper missed - under-age, same-sex impregnation across species and continents doesn't happen that often.

Michelle, next time stick to Butlins or those Centerparcs places.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Oooooo .... You VIXEN Chiri!!! Fancy stiring up such a concoction in a BRITISH newspaper to BOOT!!
I have just completed a comment to the Shopshire Rumour Monger & asked them for an update on Ms Magri-Overend's health PLUS details of the motorbike "SCAM" story. We shall see if they respond! ~ Grahame.

echerriejr

Apr 15, 2006
Ready to visit

BushBaby said:

Bush,
I hope you remember me. We corresponded a few years ago. I'm recovering from Katrina and I'd like a break from the devastation in New Orleans.
Next month my son and I are planing a trip to the DR. Yes finally.
Please E-mail me on how I can contact you best. I'd like to talk with you when we get there. Pardon the off-topic response. (echerriejr@worldnet.att.net)

Ed

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Welcome to DR1 Ed. Sorry, the name is not ringing any bells with me - must have been about 3 or 4 years ago then!! I have sent you an e-mnail so hopefully we can renew our contact!

If you have chosen a hotel & time for 'next month', let me know in your reply so that I can plan something suitable to both of us!

Back on topic, I have not heard anything back from the Shropshire paper about the two complaints they covered about the DR (Puerto Plata in particular). Hopefully this is because it is Easter weekend & NOT because they ignore everything that questions their reporting standards! ~ Grahame.