Dual citizenship for my son

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have a son here with a dominican girl and I wnder if he can loose his dominican citizenship if he becomes a citizen of my country. I want him to be able to travel with a real passport... The mother understands te benefits and approves the application for the new citizenship. Anyone that has any experince of this?

Thanks in advance.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
On the contrary, it is incumbent upon you to get the other citizenship for your child so as to guarantee him a future and it will not at all affect his Dominican citizenshp. The moment my daughter was born I gathered together all the paperwork, went to the US consulate, and had her citizenship as well as her social secuirity number assigned. Now you do not state whcih citizenship you will be seeking, but if it is US, let me warn yo u that the law was changed, and if theAmerican parent was not residing for five years in the US prior to the child's birth, you will have problems and may need to have counsel litigate for you.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Thanks for your reply.

It is not the U.S. but you answer my main question. In the application it says, where you are about to sign, "Please note that the child can loose his current citizenship", but then this, if I understand you correctly, does not apply for the Domincan Republic.

Thanks again

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The form uses the conditional "can" which implies that there is also the possibility that he/she will not. No problem. Tons of Dominican children have two citizenships and carry two passports: A Dominican passport to enter the DR and another one to leave the DR. Since it states that the person was born in the DR, there is never any hassle about "overstaying a visa" or "needing "residencia" ":p:p

HB