Justice... Dominican Style!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was on the Colonial Zone late yesterday afternoon and witnessed justice Dominican style.

A young guy on a pasola (moped) tried to snatch a hand bag from an old lady as he rode past. She must have had a pretty tight grip, because he ended up falling off his pasola. This was enough time for 2 guys to get hold of him and pin him up against the wall, they then tried dragging him off to the cops. Within 20 seconds a crowd of 30-40 had gathered, shouting, jumping up and down, basically a lynch mob.

The bag snatcher tried to escape, bad move. He was brought to the ground and received a few punches and kicks, this sent the crowd into a frenzy, especially the woman. They wanted to see blood and their wish was granted... the guy took a few more punches and kicks.

Within in 2 mins, 2 cops turned up, first they spoke to the old lady who was pretty shaken up, but not harmed and still with her bag. They then moved on to get to the bag snatcher and protect him from the lynch mob. The idiot guy once again tried to escape and resisted the cuffs. He took another really good beating, this time from the cops.

By now the crowd was huge, must have been a 150 people. This is when I moved on, so have no idea what eventually happened to the guy. I suspect he is spending Samana Santa in jail or hospital.

I must admit, I'm not into seeing people getting a good beating, but sometimes in my opinion this style of justice has it's place. Forget the lawyers, forget wasting tax payers money, give this type of scum a really good publicly endorsed beating.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Serves him right for picking on some old lady who more than likely had about 10 pesos in her purse. He could have dragged her and she could have broken some bones which are not easy to heal at a certain age.

Once in a while I have to agree with Dominican justice. ;)

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Now your talking " outsider " justice HOWMAR, there is a difference here.

Dominican Justice is not even Government Justice in this instance.

Basic Premise: Their Country, Their Rules ( Here we mean the people ).

For the gringo tourist, a Stong Maybe, depends on various factors.

For the Old Lady, ya betcha.

For an " old Lady Gringo Tourist " The closest varible to your original statement.

A Strong Probable !

kF

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Would he have recieved the same justice had the victim been a gringo tourist?

Yes, I think so. The Dominican people are fed up with crime. And they are victimized far more than us gringos. If it had been a gringo tourist instead of a woman, I believe the reaction of the crowd would have been the same.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HOWMAR said:

That can happen in any country, not just the DR.

Sometimes you have to take the positives out of a situation.

"Someone in the crowd went to a drugstore and got a towel and some band aides for my facial wounds..."

At least they don't walk buy ignoring people as they are getting robbed or beaten for fear of having a law suit thrown at them or God forbid, "getting involved".

I agree with Ken and yes I have seen it a few times first hand.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dominicans are far more the victims of this sort of violence than the gringos.
And mob violence will kick in under just about any circumstance.

Many petty criminals, child molesters, rapists, thieves and others of similar, or even worse, ilk have been killed by local justice, and nobody ever charged....:D:D:D:D

HB Hooray for the crowd!!:p:p:p

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
First, I agree wholehartedly that this piece of sh*t fully deserved his beating, whether by the crowd, by the policemen, or both.
But I also think we should be modest in applauding this as alternative systemof justice; OK, this time it was fine and deserved, but just a week or so ago a DR1 board member lost a good friend, completely innocent, that was shot in cold blood by the police, looking for someone else, but really only for revenge. That was on the spot justice as well, without any form of courthouse, lawyer defence or other formalised form of justice involved. Yes, this time the beating served the guy well, and like Robert say this method has its place, but the system of on the spot justice has its nasty drawbacks as well.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Asbammber said:
"Better to let 100 criminals go free than to condemn one innocent man"
That is true for society's which base their criminal justice systems on British Common Law, where an individual is deemed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Not so in the Dominican legal system which is based on Napoleonic Law of guilty unitil proven innocent, and no such thing as a trial by a jury of your peers.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Would he have recieved the same justice had the victim been a gringo tourist?

Do you really think the people who saw the robbery attempt thought about whether or not the intended victim was a Dominican? I don't. I think the reaction would have been the same no matter who the intended victim was, and I think this incident would have played out in much the same way anywhere.

You have people who have seen the robbery attempt and you have the perp on the ground--vulnerable and easy to get at. No matter who the intended victim was, I think at least some of the observers would have grabbed the perp, and that at least some of those who did would have given him a few punches and/or kicks. I also think that once the first blow or kick was delivered that others would have done the same, especially when the perp was trying to break loose and escape.

I bet all the people who hit or kicked the perp felt good for having (literally) struck a blow against crime, and I am sure they would have felt the same no matter the nationality of the intended victim.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I personally have no problem with street justice....especially down here. Think about how many pocketbooks, necklaces, cellphones, etc. this guy snatched before this incident. He knows there is a possibililty he will get caught and there is a possibility that something like this could happen where he gets caught by an angry mob and gets a beating. Yet, he makes a conscious decision to rob people. He makes that decision because in his view, the reward, outweighs the risk. In this case, he rolled the dice and lost. "Tough chit" I say.

Howmar, I do think the same thing would happen here if it happened to be a gringo tourist that was robbed. Someone tried to snatch my cellphone a month or two ago and I relayed the story in this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47579&highlight=bandit+pasola

Several people came rushing to my aid that day with genuine concern for me and they were all Dominican. Within a minute or so, I was surrounded by a circle of Dominicans who wanted to know if I was ok. There is not the "gringo stigma" in the capital that exists on the north coast. In Sosua and other places, gringos being robbed in some shape or form is part of the scenery for Dominicans there. The "good Dominicans" see it happening and just accept it as "well, another pendejo gringo tourista just got taken". Here, in the capital, people are robbed because of the opportuinty a theif sees as opposed to the potential victum being a target because he is a gringo. That lady had her bag snatched because the theif saw opportunity. The guy who tried to snatch my cellphone did so because I was careless and he saw opportunity, not because he saw a gringo walking down the street.

Asbammer, if you get your purse of cellphone snatched, I think you might change your tune. Arguing that this guy could have been taking back the purse because it had been stolen from his mother is a rediculous arguement IMO.

Larry

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Not to mention that with corruption rife in this country, "justice" is very seldom well served,except maybe to those without the means to 'buy' their way out of trouble!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not the same.

qgrande said:
just a week or so ago a DR1 board member lost a good friend, completely innocent, that was shot in cold blood by the police, looking for someone else, but really only for revenge. That was on the spot justice as well,
2 completely different scenarios.
The DR1 member's friend was killed by cops, after the fact.
The dudes Robert speaks of, were caught in the act.
You don't need a judge & jury to figure out if they are guilty, they were caught redhanded.
You may argue about it being acceptable, as punishment, but you cannot argue their innocence.
The DR1 member's friend, could.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Yahoo!!

At least we know who to find when we want to round up a possey!!!

Yahoo!!!
Helpmann :rolleyes:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
must be the Taino blood!

Robert said:
I must admit, I'm not into seeing people getting a good beating, but sometimes in my opinion this style of justice has it's place. Forget the lawyers, forget wasting tax payers money, give this type of scum a really good publicly endorsed beating.

correction,

Las Americas Indian styled justice

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Larry said:
Someone tried to snatch my cellphone a month or two ago

Arguing that this guy could have been taking back the purse because it had been stolen from his mother is a rediculous arguement IMO.

Larr

Ok, Larry, tell us the truth. The guy who tried to snatch your cellphone, wasn't he just trying to recover the phone you took from him?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Rocky said:
2 completely different scenarios.
The DR1 member's friend was killed by cops, after the fact.
The dudes Robert speaks of, were caught in the act.
You don't need a judge & jury to figure out if they are guilty, they were caught redhanded.
You may argue about it being acceptable, as punishment, but you cannot argue their innocence.
The DR1 member's friend, could.

Yes, different scenarios, but both based on the same idea that it's OK to take the law into your own hands (whether your an angy cop or an angry mob), knowing that there will be no repercussions if you do so, and that in fact most people will actually applaud you. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.