Saving the World?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The latest novel by Dominican-American author Julia Alvarez, Saving the World, doesn't get a very good review on Amazon.
Saving the World is an unfocused attempt to make a statement about the haves and the have-nots and the people who try to improve the lot of those who have never had a real chance in life: those people who try to save the world. Unfortunately, it does not bridge the chasm between authentic high-mindedness and sentimental twaddle.

Has anyone read it? Anything to say about it?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chiri-

Although I don't follow Julia Alvarez' work your post made me curious about the novel and I tried to look for some reader's reviews and so far there's nothing on the many sites I checked. It seems to be a very new release. The hardcover publish date is April 2006 and we are only mid month now so you may want to give it some time.

You seem to enjoy her novels or at least you are curious about them. Why not give it a try? If I like an author(s) I tend to faithfully buy their work. Yes, at the risk of being disappointed but the odds are usually in my favor. Anyway I think you should check out these editorial reviews that I found on Barnes & Noble, Juliaalvarez.com and another interesting website.

I am just trying to help you out. Since I am avid reader I know what it's like to wonder if you should purchase a book or not with the hopes of enjoying it and only to be disappointed. I think her personal website is awesome!

B& N review

Americas.org review

Julia Alvarez' website-awesome

-LDG.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for those links, Lesley. I'd never seen JA's site and it's excellent.

I'll probably end up getting the book once it's out in paperback.

I've enjoyed all her adult novels, including In the Name of Salome which also got less than glowing reviews. I would still like to hear views from people who read it between now and the paperback release.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Siempre a la orden Chiri-

After having combed through her website, I have a whole different perspective about Julia Alvarez. Sometimes that's all it takes. I will look into reading her essays. Perhaps I will bond with her that way.

I am one of those readers who did not like En el nombre de Salom?. In my opinion from a literary perspective there was something missing. No intrigue, boring plot, no writing flare.

Hopefully, someone will come through and review this new novel.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Her collection of essays 'Something to Declare' is an excellent starting point. After reading it I feel as if I know the woman. I can certainly relate to the bi-cultural, bi-lingual aspects of her experiences.
I don't think you'll be disappointed, and will look forward to your opinions.
PS Lesley, if you read Salome in Spanish, maybe it was the translation that was to blame?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
No tiene nada que ver-

Chiri, I did read it in Spanish and it has nothing to do with the translated version. One aspect of the book is too historical for my interest. It distracted me rather than capture my interest.

I read Yo in Spanish and it was a wonderful read. I enjoyed the story.

I will definitely look into her essays even with all the reading I am doing right now her website has inspired me.

-LDG.