Verizon: April 2006 problems? ? ?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I have a Verizon DSL connection; for the most part, adequate to superior. Recently I have been having email problems; I use Outlook 2003. For a while, Verizon refused or was unable to send or receive email, using Outlook & my DSL connection.
* Now? Verizon will let me receive emails, but not successfully send emails to any addresses w/o a 'xyz@verizon.net.do' email address. Strange? Is anyone else having the same or similar problems with email & Verizon?.
* Best to switch permanently to Yahoo or Google? Probably, 'yes'. Thank you

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I use Verizon dsl, and it works absolutely fine, except it doesn't go as fast as advertised : I am supposed to have 768kb/s download and 128kb/s upload... I tested it today, and it was 622kb/s download and only 52kb/s upload !!!

However, it has been much more reliable that I ever expected...

I do of course have a personal "...@verizon.net.do" email, but almost never use it, because I feel freedom is in online account, such as Gmail or Yahoo, because whenever my hard drive crashes, or whatever happens, I won't loose anything, snce it's all online. That is versus Outlook, which is all on the hard drive. If it crashes, you loose everything.

Online webmail works fine for me. Have a look at the new Yahoo Mail layout, it feels just like Outlook !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can configure your Outlook to a Yahoo, Hotmail or G-mail account, and have the best of both worlds.
The ".net.do" email accounts are unreliable and virus prone.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
AND liable to a LOT of spam mail! One problem I have experienced in the past is that certain I.P's will not allow verizon.net.do through their services because of the spamming & lack of control Verizon has on virus protection. Like the others, I never use it for outgoing e-mails! ~ Grahame.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
never use your @verizon.net.do email, it is just pure crap. A friend of mine showed me how, without any hacking a reasonably knowlegable person (like a 3rd year engineering student) is able to diplay a list of all @verizon.net.do email accounts.

If your email is important to you at all use a provider that at least pretends to care about you. Gmail is great.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
My Sincere thanks! ! !

I never realized Verizon email was so bad & so vulnerable!! Thank you. I have both Yahoo & Gmail email accounts; I usually use them for junk & commercial mail. I've learned my lessons!! Thank you for so generously sharing all of this with me. Experience is the best teacher!! !Que viva la Republica!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
VERIZON!! Headache # 15, for April

When it rains, it pours, VERIZON version:

1. I'm still using Verizon with Outlook 2002 to send & receive emails; today's problem? Verizon will send Outlook email via Verizon, but not receive it to my PC, with a DSL connection; the mail "bounces', ie is returned to the Outlook inbox, with the cryptic comment: "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for abcd@yahoo.com". What does "550 7.7.1" mean? Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Trying to avoid or minimize Verizon - most unsuccessfully! I tried using Outllok 2002 [whcih I find extremely reliable, if somewhat bloated] with Yahoo. I followed all of the extremely thorough Yahoo instructions on how to utilize Outlook 2002 with Yahoo email. The result? Verizon will permit me to SEND email with Outlook / Yahoo over Verizon, but not to RECEIVE email with Outlook from Yahoo. Verizon says my Yahoo email address is incorrect??

* Is anyone else experiencencing these or similar problems? I live in POP. Help! Please help! Pretty please! I'm about to give up my DSL & Verizon lock, stock, & barrel. But, . . . realistically, what are my alternatives? Worse? Thank you

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
On the sending side, try not to use the verizon acct. for sending, even if the configuration seems easier. Many domains will block all emails from the DR out of hand because of spam.

If you are having issues trying to receive email form Yahoo in Outlook I would check the configuration ofOutlook, and remember even these huge providers like Yahoo and Gmail can go down a few minutes every day for maintenance.

Since I use Gmail, I can't help you with Yahoo specifically but that's just what I would check.