why do my papers have to be translated to spanish?

susy

Sep 30, 2004
I don't understand. If i want to marry a dominican man. Why does my divorce certificate have to be translated to spanish. Even the status of single paper too?

If i'm divorced. Do i honestly need to show that i was married before to anyone? Why does it matter?

Lastly, IF i just go to the city hall in puerto plata to get married. Have a small sit down dinner and then out for dancing at night. Would that lessen the chances of him coming to Canada?I heard that it would be harder because we didn't have a big dominican wedding to prove that we are in a real relationship. His father is dead. His mom lives in Greece. He has'nt seen his mom in 10 years. So having a big wedding with just his friends and couple of relatives is really not important to the both of us.

Am i in for a big problem if i choose to get married the cheapest way possible?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I can't comment on the visa question, but the language in the DR is Spanish. Obviously, not everyone can read a second language. We are the visitors here and we must recognize and accomodate that simple fact.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It might be sensible BEFORE you get married, to talk to the Canadian immigration depts & ask them what the chances of getting a Dominican Husband into Canada. My understanding from several people who have been down this route is that it is almost a non starter!!

I recall several other posts on this subject & you might gain a bit of foresight by going into the 'Search' function & using the keywords "Visa for Canada" or "Canadian Visa for my new husband - how long". It will most likely give you some idea of the wait you are likely to be in for! ~ Grahame.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I thought I already gave this girl the website

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/familymembers.html
of course you can sponsor your spouse to come to Canada. It's the visitor's visa that almost impossible to get.

A big wedding is no guarantee of getting a PR into Canada, it's proving you have a real relationship that's important and filling the application right the first time.

If you want to marry the guy you need to have your divorce translated into Spanish. Even if you were single which you now are, you would have to have an affidavit showing you are single that also would have to be translated.

If you were getting married in Canada would they accept a divorce paper in Spanish you think? ;)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Even though there was a ton of paper work (our application was 180 pages), lots of waiting (10 months in total), and money spent (wedding, medicals, passports, $1500 CDN for the visa - just to name a few expense), the process while not without some challenges was actually rather easy. It was after he got to Canada that was difficult part and subsequently the end of our marriage. I do that you have better luck.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Don't worry I got married a few years ago to a colombian in nyc we got married in city hall. I wore jeans and a wife beater.(no lie!!) We when to immigration and he got his green card. no problem is proving the relationship is real thats all.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Dominican men

I've been reading the post for a while now and i have a few questions of my own....
1. Are all dominican men cheaters and liars?
2. How can u really tell if ure man isnt like all the others?
3. What if he tells u he doesnt want to leave his country does it mean he just trying to get a visa off of u ?
4. Does anybody know any sankies from viva wyndham playa dorada?

thanks all of this would be very helpfull to me
thanks u once again bellissima

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) 99.44% (The other 0.56% are priests and homosexuals)
2) Have you read Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican?
3) That's bull****. They all want to leave the island. Perhaps he doesn't want to leave his other families???
4) Everyone at Viva Wyndham is a sankie, for goodness sakes!!

HB:D:D

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Most Beautiful Asking

bellissima_81 said:
I've been reading the post for a while now and i have a few questions of my own....
You would not have if you had read enough and UNDERSTOOD.

bellissima_81 said:
.... all of this would be very helpfull to me....
I very much doubt that.

BTW, this is not the proper sub-forum for your questions.
Go to "Sankie 101".

m'frog

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine73 said:
Don't worry I got married a few years ago to a colombian in nyc we got married in city hall. I wore jeans and a wife beater.(no lie!!) We when to immigration and he got his green card. no problem is proving the relationship is real thats all.
Was he in the US legally or illegally at the time of your marriage?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
1) 99.44% (The other 0.56% are priests and homosexuals)
Don't you mean Priests or homosexuals?

BTW, according to a DR1 poster, the homesexuals also cheat.:(

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk said:
Don't you mean Priests or homosexuals?

BTW, according to a DR1 poster, the homesexuals also cheat.:(

I think he meant what he wrote. Why do you think they are so "homophobic?":ermm:

mkohn