INR tests for blood - serious question

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Six months ago I was placed on Coumadin due to complications after surgery. My doctor stll does not have my situation under control. He has been informed many times that I am leaving for the DR on April 22nd, however, he doesn't get the fact that I'm leaving the country for 6 weeks and can't go for blood tests. My question to those of you who live in Puerto Plata is - Is there a doctor that I could see for INR blood readings? Just preparing in advance in case my doctor asks me this on Wed. when I see him. I was told originally that I would no longer be taking blood thinners by now, however, my blood seems to be getting thicker not thinner. No jokes about thick blood please. This is a serious question.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
!

with all due respect YOU need to get the fact that your potentially at risk for stroke.....which is probably why he's ordered the inr test. this is serious. if your blood is thickening then you are at risk to develop blood clots...blood clots can block blood passage which will essentially starve tissue of its blood/oxygen supply=stroke. good luck man, ...i think you should cancel your trip

QUOTE=Charlielyn]Six months ago I was placed on Coumadin due to complications after surgery. My doctor stll does not have my situation under control. He has been informed many times that I am leaving for the DR on April 22nd, however, he doesn't get the fact that I'm leaving the country for 6 weeks and can't go for blood tests. My question to those of you who live in Puerto Plata is - Is there a doctor that I could see for INR blood readings? Just preparing in advance in case my doctor asks me this on Wed. when I see him. I was told originally that I would no longer be taking blood thinners by now, however, my blood seems to be getting thicker not thinner. No jokes about thick blood please. This is a serious question.[/QUOTE]

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
If your Doctor "still doesn't have your situation under control" you are certainly taking a huge risk by ignoring his advice and going overseas for 6 weeks. On the other hand there are 75 excellent Doctors in the Bournigal Clinic in Puerto Plata. I'm sure they could do the requisite blood work, then you could fax the results to your Dr for his comments. Why not ask your Dr if this would be appropriate? Canadian Bob.

chinola

Sep 6, 2005
I am on Coumadin for life and live on the north coast for a few years now.
After searching around I found a really good cardiologist in the Clinica Bournigal in Puerto Plata, his name is Dr. Domingo Taveras, he also speaks english fluent.
I must add that I am a certified nurse from Switzerland so I can tell if a doctor knows his business.

He does all the lab works needed at the clinic and also regulates the medication as per INR.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Some of you are panicking for nothing. I have been on blood thinners for 6 months and will be bringing them with me. I was told that I could fly - no problem. The threat to my life was 6 months ago, not now. I was suppose to be off the Coumadin by now and I'm not - that's all. It is a question of regulating it while I'm away. Thanks for the medical info.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are several good doctors here in POP. At Centro de Medico Bournigal, as well as a few more downtown with private offices.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Saw my doctor today and he is taking me off the coumadin. He reread all of the reports from the doctor who diagnosed me in October and agreed that after more than 6 months it is safe to be taken off the blood thinners. Thank you for the DR info on doctors and INR's. I will use this doctor in case of an emergency while on vacation.