travel and hotel to La Romona

Flaca Loca!

Apr 16, 2006
Just wonderin what the best way is from Santiago to La Romana...and any good hotels to stay at in La Romana! Just goin down to travel around a bit and visit some friends...thanks for any advice!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Welcome to DR1 Flaca Loca

Flaca Loca! said:
Just wonderin what the best way is from Santiago to La Romana...and any good hotels to stay at in La Romana! Just goin down to travel around a bit and visit some friends...thanks for any advice!!

Since it's your first post, I'll be gentle! One of the best features of this board is it's search capabilities. Since questions like this are asked and answered over and over, the givers of directions sometimes get touchy about typing them again and again. Click on "search" on the blue tool bar. I personally would recommend then clicking "advanced search" and looking at the options. It often helps to search in thread titles only. Type in a few key words like directions, santiago, La Romana (note spelling) and you are on your way!

Having said that I'll give you the quick and dirty. Take the Autopista Duarte (Hwy 1) from Santiago to Santo Domingo. Follow the signs to Las Americas airport, which will take you to the Autopista de Las Americas, going East. You will go past the airport and past Boca Chica; keep going. When you get to San Pedro, there are some options, but if you follow the signs to La Romana you will get there.

Re: hotel room. Do you actually want to stay in La Romana, or do you want to be at the beach in Bayahibe? 2 different questions with very different answers. La Romana is about a half hour drive from the beach.

Flaca Loca!

Apr 16, 2006
I will not have a car so I was looking for transportation and the best method! And Yes I want to stay in La Romana...

Thanks for your post

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
By bus

Flaca Loca! said:
I will not have a car so I was looking for transportation and the best method! And Yes I want to stay in La Romana...

Thanks for your post

The cross-country busses in the DR are probably the best-run businesses in the country. They use late-model air-conditioned vehicles, and generally run on schedule. Unfortunatly, you will need to use 2 different companies from Santiago to La Romana. Take either a Caribe Tours or Metro Tours bus from Santiago to Santo Domingo. Then you will need to take a cab to the Bavaro Express parada to catch a bus going East. Make sure you ask if the bus stops in La Romana, because some go straight to Bavaro without stopping.

Last February I stayed at the Hotel Olympio in La Romana, and thought it was a good value at RD900. A block away is the Frano, which I believe is a bit less. Both are on the main road in town. A few blocks away and a couple of blocks off this road is the Dejavous, which is newer, has a pool, and a bit more money, perhaps RD1200.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I didn't prebook, and they had plenty of rooms. The current exchange rate is about 32 Dominican pesos per US dollar, so RD900 (900 pesos) would be less than $30 USD/night.

Flaca Loca!

Apr 16, 2006
Ah ok thanks for the info..i thought the exchange rate was 1$US/10pesos...guess i was off on that!

Thanks for your info...