Easter Fatalities: 23 Dead, 328 Injured

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Sorry to put a dampner on the Easter celebrations......but it was sad to read this article this morning...

check the next post for the link...

259 of those 328 people injured were due to traffic accidents, 15 out of the 23 deaths were traffic related (figures as at yesterday morning).

Please take care on the roads today......let's hope these stats don't grow any more :(

Daydream

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Drive with 8 eyes open and a very short reaction time. Get off the roads in the dark. It is crazy out there in the daylight. I would hate to see what happens tonight.

But someone tried a 'Gringo' trick on us today and it failed miserably ... We parked in a temporary parking area near to a 100% Dominican type beach. On getting back to our car, one wheel was flat as a pancake. Whoever was checking out the gringos, must have thought we have no ability to fend for ourselves. Soon we had an audience, as I was doing most of the work of changing to the spare ... Eventually the fellow that we think let the air out of the tyre in order to come back and 'help' the gringos for some money, came by .. and was quite amazed that we actually had a working spare and the job of changing over was just about done - and oh dear - the abuela was tightening the lug nuts... (with hubby standing by smiling).

We had the last laugh, as he simply had to try one last time to get some money out of the gringos .. so, he asked for money for looking after the car. We told him that he did not look after the car well enough, as someone let the air out of the wheel .. It felt good to leave one sheepish, fairly drunk and imcompetent opportunist behind.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
daydream said:
Sorry to put a dampner on the Easter celebrations......but it was sad to read this article this morning...

check the next post for the link...

259 of those 328 people injured were due to traffic accidents, 15 out of the 23 deaths were traffic related (figures as at yesterday morning).

Please take care on the roads today......let's hope these stats don't grow any more :(

Daydream
Hey Chris. You paranoid or what?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No not really -- what are you referring to? Yesterday on the road was paranoid making though. I think what I neglected to say, is that most everyone on the beach was, if not totally drunk, happily drunk. We were glad to get out of there before this 'impaired majority' took to the roads ;) .

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My family tradition has been to spend Easter enjoying the capital city, but this time family pressures sent me and family to Jarabacoa. My sons had booked river rafting on Sunday morning at Baiguate, so they were not back at the house where we were staying until 3 pm. That meant we didn't start our return to Santo Domingo until 4 pm. Got into the city by daylight, around 6:30 pm. About half an hour more than normal. Not bad.

With the exception of two bottlenecks where we advanced very slowly through political manifestations, traffic went smoothly all the way. We were back in Santo Domingo in two hours and a half. If it had not been for the political rallies, would say traffic was about normal for a long weekend.

There were lots of Civil Defense, AMET and Red Cross people on the roads.

Overall, the recommendation for Easter is to leave to return to Santo Domingo no latter than 11 am so that you can have smooth driving. Of course, if you are driving on the reverse, you will have smooth driving at any time. The south-north side of Duarte Highway had very little traffic.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
No not really -- what are you referring to? Yesterday on the road was paranoid making though. I think what I neglected to say, is that most everyone on the beach was, if not totally drunk, happily drunk. We were glad to get out of there before this 'impaired majority' took to the roads ;) .
Wasn't meant for you. I've pm'd you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Eddy, thanks for the pm. To clarify, I edited the first post and deleted the link according to DR1's guidelines. But nothing is lost here .. we have the information from the source, whichever way you cut it, the best place to get it from.

I suggest we carry on with the thread now ;). Yes, it seems Dolores had a fairly good time travelling. Our eventual journey was also fine but it required a totally new skill level in watching what is going on around you on the road. This is the first Semana Santa in the DR that we were actually on the road. Must mean we are now real platanos (I forget how to spell the correct Spanish word but it has always reminded me of a platano)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
daydream said:
Was that meant for me then, seeing as my quote was in your reply?

:ermm: now I am confused!
Let it go. LOL. I'll get this posting thing right one of these days. It must be my age.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
As of now, I haven't heard of anything major in the Sosua area. Has anyone else?

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Eddy said:
Let it go. LOL. I'll get this posting thing right one of these days. It must be my age.

Gone!

Anyway - the latest figures I found published are 51 dead and 706 injured ( http://www.hallo-editorial.com/ ) It doesn't give any details as to where any of the accidents were though.

Drinking and driving in the DR isn't illegal, right?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Figures

Eddy said:
As of now, I haven't heard of anything major in the Sosua area. Has anyone else?

If I remember correctly the radio coverage of the semana santa locura reported ten dead in the POP province, including a young German woman (accident near Playa Dorada resort) and a Frenchman in Cabarete.

m'frog

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
mountainfrog said:
If I remember correctly the radio coverage of the semana santa locura reported ten dead in the POP province, including a young German woman (accident near Playa Dorada resort) and a Frenchman in Cabarete.

m'frog

Do you know whether they were tourists?