Newbie moving to Santo Domingo

Tamosh75

Apr 16, 2006
Hey everyone! I am a Canadian gal who has plans to move to Santo Domingo within the next month or two. I have travelled to the DR about 7 times previously. I love it!

I have two children who are 11 and 8 years old. I realize this may be a huge change for them and for that reason, am coming for a "trial" for two months this summer before I make a long term committment. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and am learning a lot. (thanks for the private schools thread!)

As I continue to learn more from the forums, I have not discovered any information on "gated communities" that many have referred to. Is there areas that are more internationally dominant than others to live in Santo Domingo? How would I go about finding these? Would they be closed to schools?

I have so many questions but primarily wanted to introduce myself and say how much I appreciate the informatinon that is given on these forums. You all seem like a happy family!

I look forward to learning more and getting to know you all better!

T

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Tamosh75 said:
As I continue to learn more from the forums, I have not discovered any information on "gated communities" that many have referred to. Is there areas that are more internationally dominant than others to live in Santo Domingo? How would I go about finding these? Would they be closed to schools?

T
Welcome to DR1!

International dominance? Foreigners tend to live in the same neighborhood or complexes upper class/upper middle class Dominicans live in. Some foreigners feel comfortable living in lower middle class neighborhoods and others feel comfortable living in areas of even less standards. It's all relevant to what your comfort level is towards your preferred residential sorroundings, what you comfot level is regarding your own personal residence and the material trappings you may or may not be able to live without.

There are some gated communities within the city itself, although many tend to be a single street with nice homes or condominiums. The type of security and the quality of such is different for the different gated communities. Other form of "gated community" are the luxury apartment towers doting certain sectors of the city.

Outside of Santo Domingo you will also find relatively large gated communities (such as Guavaberry) which resemble typical upper middle class neighborhoods in Florida, if you are familiar with that style. They are nice, clean, first world standards; but may not be attractive to a person who may want more excitement in their residential neighborhood. Usually, these communities tend to be very peaceful with the most exciting thing occuring being tourists and gold enthusiasts driving around in their golf carts! But, if you like peace and quiet and security, these places fulfill that need. The other downside to gated communities outside of Santo Domingo is that the cost of transport increases more than if you were to live within the sectors of the city that has the amenities you need and/or desire for your day to day living. This only becomes a problem if Santo Domingo will be an integral part of your day to day living in the DR, although even those people who choose to be completely disassociated from the capital find themselves needing some service or good found in the capital, whether it's government services or otherwise.

In terms of proximity of schools to residential areas, depends on what school your children will be enrolled and the neighborhood you decide is best suited to your necesities. Being close to a school, particularly if your children will be attending a private school, is essential during drop off and pick up times since traffic along many arterial roads can be thick during those hours. Additionally, living and working close to your children's school becomes an asset in case the children become sick one day and will have to be taken out of school early and for the safety of your children. I would not call Santo Domingo a dangerous city, albeit some neighborhoods (poor one's in particular) can be the gates of hell, but many areas of the city are not particularly dangerous per se.

However, stuff do happens, as is the case with all metropolises in the world, and it's always nice to be able to be within walking distance or a short ride away from the place one's children attends school.

Please, post more specific questions so others who may be more up to date with information that may help you would be able to do so.

-NALs

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
Moving to Santo Domingo for short term as well

Hello,

I am a 27 year old female also planning to move to Santo Domingo this summer for 2 months. I have made some arrangments for teacher related stuff through a few institutions where I will be doing some workshops for bilingual teachers in science, math and technology.

I am very excited...very nervous...as this is my first time travelling alone. I have been doing alot of reading (this forum, books, ...) about the DR, and am trying best to prepare for the two months.

So hopefully we can stay in contact, this is my first post on this forum as well, most likely not the last, as I have a lot of questions, just trying to get some of the answers on my own first.

If you have email and want to add me t_daniels1330@hotmail.com, I'd love to chat.

Good luck, your children are fortunate to experience this so young. At 27, I have alot of travelling and learning to do, I wish I had done it earlier.

Hope to hear from you soon...

Tamosh75

Apr 16, 2006
More from the newbie - gated communities and schools

Thank you very much to Rellosk and Chris for the warm welcome! Canadian Gurl, I have responded to you privately. I look forward to learning more together and helping each other out where we can...

NALs...thank you for your very extensive answer on gated communities etc. Here's a stupid question for you....by using the term "gated communities", are we speaking loosely and the communities are not actually "gated" or surrounded by a fence and security? I ask this because as a youngster, I did have the opportunity to live in Indonesia and our housing was literally "gated". By by your description, being a street that people live on, I am wondering if this solely means an area but not necessarily compounded. (gees I hope that makes sense)

I am single and taking my two younger children down so I want to be in an area that is safe for them. That is a primary concern. I definately want both peace and excitement.....tough to please, eh?

Wondering also if anyone had any first hand experience or feedback on the American International School of Santo Domingo or Carol Morgan School. Any young families living in Santo Domingo specifically that would be interested in corresponding regarding recommended schools and associated costs?

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!

T

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Tamosh75 said:
by using the term "gated communities", are we speaking loosely and the communities are not actually "gated" or surrounded by a fence and security? I ask this because as a youngster, I did have the opportunity to live in Indonesia and our housing was literally "gated". By by your description, being a street that people live on, I am wondering if this solely means an area but not necessarily compounded. (gees I hope that makes sense)

I am single and taking my two younger children down so I want to be in an area that is safe for them. That is a primary concern. I definately want both peace and excitement.....tough to please, eh?

Wondering also if anyone had any first hand experience or feedback on the American International School of Santo Domingo or Carol Morgan School. Any young families living in Santo Domingo specifically that would be interested in corresponding regarding recommended schools and associated costs?

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!

T
The term "gated" can be used loosely, but there are of all types all over the island, particularly in tourist areas. Gated sometimes means a gate with a fancy fence along it's entrance and other times its fully compounded. You must solicit more information from which ever development has cought your interest.

For private schools, contact Chirimoya since she recently went through the ordeal of searching for the right school for her child. Simply send a PM to her and I'm sure she will have helpful information.

-NALs