Black market for changing dollars?

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
Is there a big black market for exchanging dollars?. I have never thought it existed until I ran across another forum where I saw a remark made on this, where the person involved got all valid pesos bills for 36 to 1 in a shop, while the bank paid 31.25 to 1.

G

gary short

europeanguy said:
Is there a big black market for exchanging dollars?. I have never thought it existed until I ran across another forum where I saw a remark made on this, where the person involved got all valid pesos bills for 36 to 1 in a shop, while the bank paid 31.25 to 1.
Exchange money at a bank end of story.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
when it's too good to be

europeanguy said:

true it's........(fill in the blanks)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
europeanguy

Is it really worth the risk? - especially if it's a large sum of money........and if it's a small amount - then what's the point? The money gained will be insignificant.

Play it safe and go to the bank

Daydream

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Fast Hands and Dodgy Bills

Some if not many of the money changers on the street are very clever at leaving you with fewer bills than you expected to get. They are as clever as the three card monte scammers in US cities. There is a high risk of getting stuck with counterfeit notes. It is NOT worth the risk!

Sep 19, 2005
plus there was a rash of bogus 2000 peso notes going around. My gf's father works at a bank and went so far as to say dont accept any 2000 peso notes when youm exchange currency if you can help it. I did and went to a local bank that my GF's sister works at and they checked them , and verified they were in fact good.....so maybe I got lucky.

if it is too good to be true, it probably is...all they would have to do is offer only 1 peso more to get most of the action...offereing that much is sign of bad news....

bob

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
forget it

Never change money anywhere but a bank....or an exchange house where you are used to doing business.

I see people posting about rates they got on the street. NEVER change money on the street! Changing money on the street opens up 3 avenues for you to get screwed. They are:

1) The guy changing your money pulls a fast one and screws you out of some of it.

2) You get one or more counterfeit bills.

3) Ladrones watch you changing money in the street and now know how much you changed and see what pocket you put it into.

And a "black market for changing money"? Forget it.

Larry