Pharmacies...

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
are the pharmacies there liberal regarding the sales of prescription meds?

i dont mean serious pain killers and sleeping aids..

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Very liberal! You dont need a prescription for most things, and I gather that use of a prescription is mainly for identifying the exact medication. Howver, the real problem is (1) the high cost of many drugs here; and (2) availability. Many common medications abroad are not available here.

The best pharmacy in the country is probably San Judas Tadeo on Av. Independencia in the capital, now part of the Carol chain, but still the best for selection.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
sweet bro much thanks!

any idea about the laws regarding shipping medicines from DR to other countries?

i know that the U.S will NOT PERMIT any meds from any country!
but from a DR law perspective, is it an offense to ship meds in the mail?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yes I have to have my medication shipped here: when the WTC came tumbling down, I worked there the whole week, and as a result I have had serious breathing problems. To alleviate them I take Advair, a common enough asthma medication in the States but impossible to find down here. so I have it shipped. Now I once did have trouble: a package arrived by FEDEX and the customs tried to stop it (I think because it was a bigger box than normal and held a year's supply). FEDEX, to their credit, refused to comply and duly delivered the package to me.

Now I am using EPS, which is sort of like FEDEX and UPS, but better because you get your own mail box in Miami. I am trying this route for the first time and expect to be receiving my package of meds, a smaller one, within the week. I will let you know if there is a snafu, but so far, according to their tracking system all is well.

As far as I know there is no law against the shipment of the meds but there is the question of tariffs. Small quantities probably get through with no problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been getting meds from the US by EPS for at least 15 years. Never any problems. Don't know anything about shipping meds from the DR to other countries. Suggest you post that question in the Legal section so the lawyer can answer it.