Where Do Most Foreigners Reside?

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
although im eager to improve my spanish, it would be nice to be surrounded by other fellaw americans and europeans.

from browsing through this board, ive realized many foreigners make the DR their home....

so i was curious..

1) what cities have the highest concentrations of FOREIGNERS who live there permanantly/seasonal?

2) what cities have the highest concentrations of TOURISTS on vacation?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua/Cabarete would be a good choice since there are lots of expats and places where they congregate, such as Rocky's bar and Eddy's bar. Both are regular posters on this board.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Santo Domingo, being the capital city, would have the highest concentration of foreigners who live here permanently or seasonally. Also the city that receives the most tourists on vacation.

Next are Puerto Plata (Sosua and Cabarete and Puerto Plata city). La Romana also has a large number of foreigners.

cause searcher

Apr 16, 2006
Cabarete has a lot of Europeans and Americans and it growing. Check out the Hexenkessel (im sure thats spelled wrong) in Cabarete.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Las Terrenas, in Saman? has another large comunity of foreigners. I think you should visit all those places and see which one you would like more.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..Haitians included? - ..SPM (seasonally; when the grass is in bloom)

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Dolores said:
Santo Domingo, being the capital city, woould have the highest concentration of foreigners who live here permanently or seasonally. .
That doesn't seem right. I would think Santo Domingo may be highest in absolute numbers of foreigners, but the concentration (foreigners per population) would be higher in the tourist areas such as Sosua, etc. I guess it depends on how you define "concentration".

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No, I don't think so. I think the concentration simply looks higher on the North Coast as the foreigners concentrate around certain places, certain stores and so on. I would agree with Dolores - Santo Domingo would have the greatest concentration of foreigners (as a percentage of total population). Once you are here a number of years, it is amazing how many other folks you meet that live here, work here but never visit the usual foreigner hangouts.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Chris said:
No, I don't think so. I think the concentration simply looks higher on the North Coast as the foreigners concentrate around certain places, certain stores and so on. I would agree with Dolores - Santo Domingo would have the greatest concentration of foreigners (as a percentage of total population). Once you are here a number of years, it is amazing how many other folks you meet that live here, work here but never visit the usual foreigner hangouts.

As a percentage, the ratio of foreigners (I think the OP meant European/North American foreigners) would be much higher on the North coast, considering the much lower Dominican population.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Still don't quite agree, but don't have hard numbers to 'back' myself up :laugh:
I would just imagine that the mostly Dominican Community in Cabarete is higher than the number of foreigners there. Then in Sosua, I believe Los Charamicos and the other Dominican Community is much higher than the number of foreigners. Then in Puerto Plata, it is no contest of course. Then, if you talk of the Capital, I think there are may more that what we are aware of, here on the DR1. But then again, I seem to remember something like 50,000 Americans (or say North Americans). It is a small percentage overall. For what it is worth, I'm still going with Dolores on this one.... ;)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
...than in Santo Domingo you got Guachupita, La Zurza, Los Guandules, Espillat, Capotillo, etc., ..

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Base on many vist and spending 16 consecutive summers living in Snatiago(not a big turist town) I find that foreigners reside mostly on the following.
Retire folks cloe to the beach and in "americanize communities"
Working class9 those that are employee by big multi nationals The Capital and Santiago and sometimes Puerto Plata. This might be a very vague statement but to look at demographics you need to look more into detail. An yes the Capital has the Lagergest number of foreigners living since is the largest more industrilaliza city in the Island or perhaps the Carribean.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although I have no stats to support these numbers, I am convinced that if Santo Domingo had that high a percentage, there would have to be well over a million gringos to match Sosua's percentile.
I believe that Sosua is #1 in the country for percentage, followed by Cabarete, followed by Las Terenas.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I believe that on a percentage of the population basis (per capita) Sosua and Caberete no doubt have more foreigners than Santo Domingo.

Looking at a raw number, Santo Domingo would have more foreigners but they make up a smaller percentage of Santo Domingos population based Santo Domingos much larger total population.

Larry

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Larry said:
I believe that on a percentage of the population basis (per capita) Sosua and Caberete no doubt have more foreigners than Santo Domingo.

Looking at a raw number, Santo Domingo would have more foreigners but they make up a smaller percentage of Santo Domingos population based Santo Domingos much larger total population.

Larry
I would guess that there are 5,000 gringos in the greater Sosua area and 15,000 Dominicans.
That would make 25% gringos here.
One might not get that impression, as they are not as visible as the Dominicans, in the streets.
Most of the gringos in the streets are tourists.
The expats are in their cars, at home, at work, etc.