Moving to DR for school!

elly

Apr 18, 2006
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to move to DR to go to grad school. I was wondering if anyone can give me a few tips.

I curently live in Los Angeles and want to move to Centro de los H?roes, Santo Domingo, to attend a grad school,

well the classes are in spanish and I only know a few words in spanish,

how hard is it to learn spanish?!!! to be able to go to school?!

How much money per month in U.S dollars do I need to live a normal student life?!

How safe is the area ?!!

How much would it be to rent a small maybe a suit around that area?

DO I need a car?!! does most everyone have a car?

would I be able to drive with my CA deriver's licence?!!!

I know it's too many q's but I would greatly appritiate even if you know the answer to one of them.

Thanks,

ELLY

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Why would you enroll in a school that teaches in a language that you don't understand, and can't speak or write? Are you going to grad school to receive an education or simply get by and get your degree? It seems to me that it would be more logical to move here, learn the language, then enroll.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Elly,
Let me start off by welcoming you to DR1.

Having said that then I must agree with HOWMAR in everything he asked and said.

Regardless of your reasons for wanting to do this I would suggest you use the "search" function located in the top bar of this page. Click it open and type in what you are looking for.

In answer to your questions;

"how hard is it to learn spanish?!!! to be able to go to school?!"
Depends on you.

"How much money per month in U.S dollars do I need to live a normal student life?!"
Depends if you are a party animal or a stay at home studier.

"How safe is the area ?!!"
If you take the proper precautions then it is as safe as in your home town.

"How much would it be to rent a small maybe a suit around that area?"
You may be able to get something from $50 to $500 a month.

"DO I need a car?!! does most everyone have a car?"
No and No

"would I be able to drive with my CA deriver's licence?!!!"
After 30 days no.

Rick

elly

Apr 18, 2006
There is definatly a reason behind this but other than that thank you for your responds. I will search for my question. :bunny:

elly

Apr 18, 2006
Lol

hehe. No, it's bc it costs a lot less than here and less time so it's to save both money and time plus the fact I would love to be fluent in spanish. I just don't know if it's gonna be super hard!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Depends, do you have time to mess around with learning a language? For me it is super hard but then I am really old! Also, will your qualification stand you in good stead when you go back to the real world?

Perhaps take some Spanish classes, see how you take to it, and how easy it is for you before you commit to anything. Also feel free to ask more questions if you have 'em.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Along with what (old) hehe Chris said I would come on down for a visit and check it out. You might really like it or your might hate it but you can't tell till you see it. I too, because of my old age, have more trouble learning Spanish then does a young whipper snapper like you.

Rich

elly

Apr 18, 2006
Thank you so much you guys for replying this quick. Yeah I already searched about the school and what will happen after graduating. It's pretty good. I also speak another language fluently and understand 2 other languages other than English so I'm hoping that, These factors make it a little easier. I also used to live in Hawaii, does any of you see any similarities, comparing them?!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
If I may ask you, just what sort of graduates studies do you intend to pursue here and at which school? Frankly, grad school is nothing to stint on, costs notwithstanding. There is no cut rate way to do it without sacrificing the quality of the education that presumably is your main priority. Plus there are only a handful of programs here at that level that are worth considering. The School I am thinking of over by the Centro de los H?roes is not one of them, and unless you have a different one in mind, I wouldnt ever consider attending.

The area there at night was famous for various shenanigans, though I hear it has calmed down somewhat. People have a saying here, when they curse you out, they say "vete para la bolita del mundo" (the reference is to the globe that stands in the middle of the plaza there). However, there are safe residential areas nearby, though I would look elsewhere for nicer digs, perhaps over by the ciudad universitaria. The area around the Centro de los H?roes is mostly administrative and it empties out in the evening so it is a bit desolate.

Costs for a student are not high, but life here in the capital is not cheap like other developing nations and the rents are going to shock you. Still, you can find plenty of cheap digs that are perfectly serviceable, less than 300 US a month.

Finally, no you dont need or want a car,which in this city is expensive and a pain in the ass. Just learn the public transport system and you will get around just fine. And that is one very cheap accoutrement of the city.

Without a word of Spanish, frankly you are going to have a very hard time. Spanish is not easy, it takes lots of work, and you will simply not understand what is going on around you, which in turn will make the education all the more painful. If your study load is not too onerous, you could certainly do it (many med students do it, for example), so long as you can devote many hours (and thus extra money) to Spanish lessons. Having other languages under your belt will help certainly, but the lack of spanish will add to your burden, doubtless.

elly

Apr 18, 2006
Do you guys actually live in DR?!! Everyone's English is just better than perfect?!! Do i even need to know english to get by?! other than school material of course!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Juancarlos speaks both because he is a polymath! I speak both because I like to and I always wanted to master at least one other language besides my own (English). French and German were my languages in school, but since I dont live in a country where those languages are used much, my control has slipped considerably. Spanish is a great language, just beautiful and I love speaking it every day. I live in Gazcue, btw, and have been here off and on for some years. You will definitely need Spanish to get around, though I admit there are many expats and travellers who never learn it and survive just fine. But then, they miss so much.

Now that we cleared up your grad studies, I can respond a little more positively: I have had two friends study medicine here, both at UNIBE and both did well afterwards, and while their Spanish was never perfect, they got by. You can too. But it will be a little harder. I suggest you start learning now! At the very least start listening to El Vacilon de la ma?ana if you live in NYC and start picking up on the Dominican vibe.

Shenanigans: whores, pimps and thieves. It was a notorious area right around the Malecon there, because it was deserted. As I say, I think it has been cleaned up considerably, but I still think you should look around at other nabes nearby for more congenial surroundings. There is plenty to choose from.

No worries, living here is very nice, I think,but you need to learn some basic precautionary rules to get by without hassles. It will grow on you.

I dont think it compares to Hawaii, though. Very different in many ways.

Juancarlos, my third point disappeared, that post was typed up all wrong so I deleted portions.

elly

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks again, I'm enjoying this very much. You are very helpful. Now do u suggest shipping my car to there or no? I drive a Camry, 1998. It's a clean car. Is it safer to have a car?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
There are limits on the year that is allowable for shipping; yours may be too old, but I dont know. Though why you would want to ship the car here, which is an expensive proposition, is beyond me. You just dont need it, and trips to the countryside are easily arranged through public transport (safer too).

I drove a car in NYC for years and loved it; here though a car in the city is a pain. I dont see the point really.

elly

Apr 18, 2006
I guess is just bc I'm so used to haveing a car that I can't think of not having one. But that's good to know.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Macocael,
The OP is from Los Angeles for what it's worth.

I believe that the car must be no more then 5 years old if memory serves me correctly but then again because of my age my memory isn't what..what.. what was I going to say?

Anyway, you don't want to bring a car here and I think, but don't know, that other board members will agree. But what do I know I'm only a cog in the wheel.

Rick

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
But a very good cog when all is said and done! Rick is right, and I understand an LAer's desire to keep the car, but it could be headache. I tell you what, if you bring the car down here, and take good care of it, I will buy it from you when you leave! Finding second hand cars down here in good condition for a good price is not easy.