Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
I got back from the DR on Sunday, had a great time while there even with a few inconveniences.
First of all I was supposed to take the 6AM flight from JFK to Santiago on Sat. April 8. Well that never happened since AA oversold the flight and my sister and I had to wait on standby. I spend all day in the airport and was not able to get on any flight departing that day. At the end of the day, I tried to get my luggage back and I was told that it had been sent to Santiago already. Well to make a long story short, I was able to convince one of the AA representatives to get me on the 6AM flight the next morning and he did. Am not trying to be shallow, but it is good to be a female with good lucks;) , I know of many that paid up to $400 extra to be in the same flight.
Well when I arrived in Santiago, for our pleasant surprise our luggage was not there, I was told that it was still at JFK. Only after 3 days and 2 trips to Santiago I was able to get my luggage.
Anyway on to the resort, I have Family there so my plans were to go to a resort for three days and stay with my family the reminder of the time ( only there for one week). Well I headed to the resort on Wednesday, the Occidental Allegro Playa Dorada and will start to tell you that I ended up leaving a day earlier. The food there is very limited and not very appetizing. You would move from station to station in the buffet and find that they had the same thing. Not very great tasting either, even the Mangu left something to be desire, it had no taste what so ever. I heard some complaint about the front desk staff, but I found them to be pleasant. I do think they need a bigger front desk, the line was ridiculously long ands since they only have three stations to check people in, I don't even have to say how long I waited.
The staff is some what nice, but I found that most, not all are nicer to foreigners. If you are Dominican you don't get as good treatment as do white folks. All they I was like lambones. This is something I have never understood, I even mentioned it to the bar tender in the swim-up bar, Miguel a very nice guy by the way (tipped him very good), and he was like, not me a treat everybody the same.
Anyways, on to the resort, the room could use some fixed up, I mean I don't really care that much how the room looks, cause am not there most of the time, but man at least clean the floors correctly. There were mold every where in the bathroom. It seems to me as if the bath top had a whole in it, cause as much as I tried there were always a huge paddle of water outside it and into the hallway that lead to the rest of the room.
I have stayed at the Jack Tar Village in POP before and had a much better experience. I am not very picky, but I can't recommend this hotel.
I had to leave a day earlier because I could not bear not eating well for another day. I think I actually lost weight for the 2 days I was there.
Sorry for making you guys read so much, but wanted to make sure that none of you guys make the same mistake I did by choosing this hotel.
I have not been to that many resorts in DR, but certainly been to other places in the states and in Mexico and I can?t even compare the rooms in this resort to a Motel six, actually I can, Motel 6 is much better.
The rest of my stay was very pleasant; I spent time with my family and enjoyed it very much