moving to DR with camera kit

DENHAM_CAMERAMAN

Apr 18, 2006
www.sharpimagevideo.co.uk
My partner and I are serioulsy looking into moving to the North of DR from England. I am a tv cameraman and have all my own kit. I am hoping to carry on with my freelance work in the UK which is often a couple of weeks at a time and hopefully pick up some work in DR as well as maybe the US. My main concern is even if I am based in the DR is getting my kit in and out through customs. Can you get papers to help get the kit in and out or would I have problems and have to pay bribes every time I wanted to film abroad? Also in addition considering I own the equipment already and the expence of this type of gear would I have to pay a large tax for bringing the kit in the first time? or maybe every time I brought it back into the country??

Many thanks

Denham & Emma

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
How big is that kit? Some of us do not know what you carry around with you :surprised

Perhaps it will be harder to keep your stuff safe once here than to bring it in.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
1.) You would have to pay a one time import duty for your kit.
In order to travel with the kit you have to do some kind of certified
manifest (full description and list of the epipment you are taking with you)
to be able to return without paying duty again since your base will be
here.

2. You will have to become a member of some kind of Dominican Film
Association in order to be able to work as a camera man.

3. In order to become a member of that assoc. you will have to legalize
your residency status and form a company with a taxnumber.

You also should find out if you just can go to the US and, bring your kit and work there without a work permit or green card.
I used to produce documentaries and news for European TV stations and we were not able to work in the US but had to hire local freelancers.
Another thing you should consider is that the TV systems (PAL, SECAM, NTSC) differ from country to country.

Anyhow, I wish you good luck!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Mido speaks truth, though as with all things here, you could probably bend some of the rules -- I am a still photographer, and i have a kit of lights and power packs etc. I never paid any duties on any thing and I have gone in and out of the country with them on a few occasions. But you TV people might be carrying bigger and more conspicuous cases and thus find it harder to slip by customs. However, one thing for sure, camerawork doesnt pay as well here and it takes a while to break into the biz because you need to cultivate relationships with the right people.

I have a TV cameraman friend here, originally from Italy,but he has lived and worked in the States for years, and he basically goes back and forth, working in the states for a while then living off the earnings down here. But I know from watching his travails finding work in DR that he also investigated working here and even formed a company but it was a pain and he was unhappy with the pittance he was earning.

I have a feeling that Mido is also right in suggesting that it might be very hard for you to pick up work in the states. We still photographers are not so regulated as you all are, so we can usually find a way round the regulations, but the market for your work is more robust so there are more controls on you.

DENHAM_CAMERAMAN

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for all the advice, it's very helpful. Did not really expect to pick up any work through the economy in DR. Have been looking more into shooting maybe weddings for people from the UK for example by setting up contacts here with wedding packages where I can be paid into a british bank account. Also maybe covering sporting events such as kite boarding etc. or any other footage required by british companies to save them sending kit and crew out. I am well aware that these kind of jobs would be few and far between but with work also from traveling home it might be enough to pay for a way of life in DR. We own a house here without any mortgage so have capital if after settling in we could buy outright so hopefully keeping overheads down. You are right about being much easier to work as a photograher for example in the states.
I also have dedicated laptop so can edit in anything up to high definition. I would be bringing in full size HD XDCAM which can shoot in NTSC or PAL and in Hi-Def or DVCAM, also a smaller Hi def camera with water proof housing and of course lights monitors tripod etc.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well Denham, if there is anything specific I can do to help, just let me know by email. I live in the capital, in the south, but there are plenty of DR1 members livingup on the north coast too. You are in good hands

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There are a couple of English photographers doing still & cine work out here on the North coast already Denham - they claim there is not enough work for them. They speciaise in Weddings & have had very good contacts at most of the British Tour Companies for the last 14 years that I have been here.

I also know of 3 Dominican operated photo-shoot companies - they do weddings also but seem to concentrate on the actual activity tours/excursions (jeep safaris, buggy, horse trips etc). With this sort of competition, every tourist carrying his/her own video camera these days, I think you will find this a VERY difficult market to break into. You MIGHT have some success by doing a deal directly with the wedding coordinatrors BASED IN ENGLAND whereby you can get them to appoint you PRIOR to the wedding party leaving the UK, but that would necessitate you getting round to see them all before you leave to come live here.

If you want an introduction to Mike & Ian (the Brit. photographers) let me know & I'll get hold of them for you. 'Owt else just list it here or send me PM. ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with BushBaby: there are plenty of small TV productioncompanies here already.

That said, regarding your equipment, if you put some BBC labels on it and print Press/Prensa onthe major parts, I am fairly sure that you won't be hasseled at the airport. If you have a press card from the UK, this is also a plus.

You might be wise to make an exploratory trip first, to "explore the market" so to speak.

Also there is the East Coast to look at, with tons of weddings and perhaps not as serviced as the North Coast??

HB :D:D

DENHAM_CAMERAMAN

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm going to have to put a lot more research into working out there in think before bringing kit out. Banking really on my contacts with in the UK.

Many thanks

Denham

Tried replying to your email Bushbaby but won't let me send you anything.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
DENHAM_CAMERAMAN said:
Tried replying to your email Bushbaby but won't let me send you anything.
MOST strange - can't think why that should be as I am receiving mail from other sources. Try clicking on my name on this thread. when the drop down box comes up, click on "Send Private Message". When that box comes up, enter my username (Bushbaby), a heading (replying to yours or whatever) & then type what you want to say. Look forward to hearing IF you are Denham situated - especially if you have Denham Airport friends!! ~ Grahame.

LeoTra

Apr 28, 2006
Hi Denham & Emma!

My advice to you is if you wish to come to the DR and start working then just do it. :) As far as I know a "Dominican Cameraman's Association" does not even exist and if it does it is probably just for local press which I don't think this is what you're into. :) Especially not with the kit you've described there isn't even anyone here with anything except the prosumer Sony HD that anyone's grandma uses (read grandma: Local TV /Commercial Production Companies) :)
You do not have to set up and company or blah blah blah just keep your UK clients and fly under the radar and you'll be just fine. Let them pay you through a British bank and then just live the good life whenever you're here.

I totally agree with you getting BBC or other identifying marks for your kit or frankly just apply for "temporary import" the first time you'll be coming in to work. If you will be going in and out this will suffice as your import will not be permanent it will be going in and out thus "Temporary". If they say that the market is overrun on the North Coast maybe try another area, but frankly no one in the creative world has competition - each pro creates their own situations. There may be 2 people who claim to do the same thing in the production world but there are not 2 people who do it the same way. Carve your niche wherever you wish to be and you will be fine. Your idea to keep freelancing with your current contacts is excellent and being here from time to time will only allow you to offer more to your clients. They will love the idea of you - who they already feel comfortable with - being able to offer them exotic locations. Best of luck to you both! oh and PS should you decide to set up a business you DO NOT have to legalize your residency - just go to the Tax Department and get a personal RNC using your UK docs. You can also register whatever name fancies you at the office of ONAPI and then operate as what we call in the US a DBA company. At Banco Popular a local bank IF DESIRED you can also open what they call a personal business account where you open it with your personal docs yet in the name of your business. Have fun! The DR is a wonderful paradise to live and work!!!!!! Especially if you're freelance!!