Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default options for 16 to 18 year olds

    hi - we are considering moving to DR - ideally to North coast. I have 3 daughters and am exploring options open for them. The ISS school in susuo seems promising for my 8 year old. My 13 year old is at boarding school at the moment and will probably stay there during term time as she is in her gcse years (important exams in UK). the eldest is a problem as she will officially finish school in the UK this summer (she is 16). I wondered if there are any colleges - equivalent to the further education colleges which we have here. I guess not but just in case... She is not highly academic and was hoping to take an exam known as a BTEC in the UK music industry. We are totally undecided as to whether she would come with us full time or just in the holidays. It really depends what her options are over there. Maybe some time out of education would be an option - but she is a bit young? any advice please?

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    throw out the conventional education system...let them learn via internet and have them with you over here...let them learn from life and from their parents. I left school when I was 15, right in the middle of the school year.

    Learned from the internet, life and parents ever since...

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i know it's very tempting and goes along with my gut feelings - i lived overseas with my parents between the ages of 7 and 11 and went to international schools. fantastic experience. not so sure the grandparents would agree tho. (but i'm sure the children will!)

  4. #4
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emmy
    hi - we are considering moving to DR - ideally to North coast. I have 3 daughters and am exploring options open for them. The ISS school in susuo seems promising for my 8 year old. My 13 year old is at boarding school at the moment and will probably stay there during term time as she is in her gcse years (important exams in UK). the eldest is a problem as she will officially finish school in the UK this summer (she is 16). I wondered if there are any colleges - equivalent to the further education colleges which we have here. I guess not but just in case... She is not highly academic and was hoping to take an exam known as a BTEC in the UK music industry. We are totally undecided as to whether she would come with us full time or just in the holidays. It really depends what her options are over there. Maybe some time out of education would be an option - but she is a bit young? any advice please?
    I have been living here for over 4 years with my two kids now aged 13 & 15. Don't expect too much from the school system here .. including International School.. we have been through all the schools here in Sosua.

    My 15 year old daughter hopefully will be leaving in June and going to finish High School in Chicago... where there is more opportunity for her.

    My kids were 9 & 11 when we arrived here ... it was a good time for them then.

    Write to me if you need any more info. [email protected]

    Good Luck !

  5. #5
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It will be difficult to get the same level of education here, that you could where you now live, but that's not to say you shouldn't make the move.
    I fully understand anyone who might want to escape the rat race.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester4
    I have been living here for over 4 years with my two kids now aged 13 & 15. Don't expect too much from the school system here .. including International School.. we have been through all the schools here in Sosua.

    My 15 year old daughter hopefully will be leaving in June and going to finish High School in Chicago... where there is more opportunity for her.

    My kids were 9 & 11 when we arrived here ... it was a good time for them then.

    Write to me if you need any more info. [email protected]

    Good Luck !
    I am a little surprised by your opinion of the schools in Sosua. I have a 6 year old in Garden Kids, and so far his program is more advanced than my niece's 6 year old's school in Wilton Conn. (a very fancy area). I have also heard very good things from parents of ISS kids.

    I agree that there is far more opportunity in the States. I also think (I have sons ages 32 and 28) that it's often a good idea for kids to spend some time away from home. Most of their character is formed by the time they are 16, and they can mature faster without being under the thumb of mommy and daddy. - D

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hello people - thank you for your replies - it's obviously something of a matter of opinion. we shall certainly have to investigate further.
    one question - can anyone tell me the ages that each grade covers? not sure if it is the same as the english system.
    ps - what on earth is a sankie (sorry for naivety)

  8. #8
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Homework Pending

    Quote Originally Posted by emmy
    ... what on earth is a sankie (sorry for naivety)
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanky-panky

    m'frog

  9. #9
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Getting Away From Them

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    ... who might want to escape the rat race.
    ...and end up among them?

    m'frog

  10. #10
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny W
    I am a little surprised by your opinion of the schools in Sosua. I have a 6 year old in Garden Kids, and so far his program is more advanced than my niece's 6 year old's school in Wilton Conn. (a very fancy area). I have also heard very good things from parents of ISS kids.

    I agree that there is far more opportunity in the States. I also think (I have sons ages 32 and 28) that it's often a good idea for kids to spend some time away from home. Most of their character is formed by the time they are 16, and they can mature faster without being under the thumb of mommy and daddy. - D
    Danny W.. you are lucky to have found a good school. I cannot comment on the Garden Kids as my children never went there as they only go up to 7th Grade I believe. My children are aged 15 & 13. They have been to International School, New Life School & The Learning Centre. I am now having to send my Daughter away to finish her schooling either to the States or back to the UK. My Son will stay here for another few years but I am seriously thinking about home schooling for him. I have spoken to many parents too who are also not happy with the education system here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •