buying furniture in puerto plata

jaycee147

Apr 19, 2006
i need to fully furnish a house, any ideas where to have good furniture made or buy relatively cheaply in the puerto plata area. also need garden furniture but they seem to be relatively expensive compared to back at home in UK.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
for good furniture you would have to go to Santiago but it sounds like it would be out of your price range. You should check it out anyhow, the place in the International Mall (or plaza?) has nice stuff but pretty expensive. Also check the many small furniture shops that make good quality wooden and wicker furniture - they are all over Santiago.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Gonzales Distributors , talk to Laura..........Nice furniture, good service , reasonable prices .......If not then come to the Smaller towns with a Dominican and get dominican prices ! For some reason , in Sabaneta there are 4 or 5 Furniture places. Here in Gaspar Hernandez there is one. If you need help here in GH I would be pleased to meet with you and negotiate a deal as I just outfitted 2 homes complete and have an idea on prices and a 'lil bit of pull.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Rattan Furniture

I've had most of the furniture in my house made by 'Cabrera', a small manufacturer on the road to Santiago, about a mile past the Navarette circle.
Ask for the owner, Victor, or the manager Estaban. I've even taken a dining room chair bought elsewere and had them make two more like it. We can't tell the difference! They recently built an entertainment center (in three sections) which I designed to fit into a typical dominican 'closet'. It is a great looking piece. Just about everybody I know in Costambar uses them.
For wood pieces, I recommend Tomas, who has a shop in Puerto Plata. He is a fantastic furniture maker. He built our Mahogony kitchen cabinets and recently, a fitted 'closet'.
Cabrera's # 1-809-5856619
Tomas's #: PM me and I'll get it for you

jaycee147

Apr 19, 2006
any idea of the prices i could expect to pay, need bed settee's, coffee tables, tv stand, full size bed etc.. wouldnt normally be so price conscious but too many things to buy all at once means i have to budget a bit more..

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Jojo! Our experience in using Dominicans to get a "better price" taught us the exact opposite. Dominicans are too proud to bargain and invariably pay the ticketed price without arguing. Canadian Bob.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Puerto Plata you have several shops.
Gonzales 1 and 2, Hidelisa, Casa Nelson, Francis Muebles.
A new lampshop behind the police station...

Cheaper stuff at all the XXX ( any name ) Muebles.

No need to go to Santiago if you are not looking for exclusive, above Hidelisa or Gonzales.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
jojo2130 said:
Gonzales Distributors , talk to Laura..........Nice furniture, good service , reasonable prices .......If not then come to the Smaller towns with a Dominican and get dominican prices ! For some reason , in Sabaneta there are 4 or 5 Furniture places. Here in Gaspar Hernandez there is one. If you need help here in GH I would be pleased to meet with you and negotiate a deal as I just outfitted 2 homes complete and have an idea on prices and a 'lil bit of pull.

I agree with jojo. My husband Angel was recently in Sosua, looking for a washing machine for his mom. His friends told him the best prices are in Gaspar Hernandez or Sabaneta. He paid $5400 RD for a small washing machine in GH. He said the bigger ones were only $7000 RD, whereas in Sosua he'd seen them for as much as $10-$12000 RD. We're going to buy her a new fridge there the next time we're in the DR., he said there was a very nice one for $12000 RD. Take a Dominican with you so as not to pay "tourist" prices.

jaycee147

Apr 19, 2006
i looked upstairs in the gonzales... rd$ 5400 for a plastic sun lounger, thats seems excessive to me, but then again i am comparing to home.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
trina said:
I agree with jojo. My husband Angel was recently in Sosua, looking for a washing machine for his mom. His friends told him the best prices are in Gaspar Hernandez or Sabaneta. He paid $5400 RD for a small washing machine in GH. He said the bigger ones were only $7000 RD, whereas in Sosua he'd seen them for as much as $10-$12000 RD. We're going to buy her a new fridge there the next time we're in the DR., he said there was a very nice one for $12000 RD. Take a Dominican with you so as not to pay "tourist" prices.

"Real" shops does not overcharge you because of the color of the skin.
A small washing mashine is around 4000 at Casa Nelson, a little more at Gonzales ( also anothe brand ).
Messon has all brands and a new department as well. Prices are on the tags.

Most shops, such as Gonzales, gives 10 % if you pay cash, and 5 % if you pay with a cc.

On 12 de Julio there is a shop that sells both new and used washing mashines, a/c, fridges etc. Also worth to take a look there, they have descent prices.

Before going around half the island, to save 200 pesos maybe, think of gas for the car, maybe food and a local that expects both commission and a little payment from you, and you have paid more.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Canadian Bob,

Thats why I married her ! Figure Ill save enough to pay for the divorce !
(Just Kidding) .....My experinces have been the opposite. They see ole Pale face and Poof the price goes up ! My wife often enters alone and gets things started ! Another good rule of thumb though is to go to stores (tiendas) where they have prices On the items already ............ All our flags generally go up when we dont ssee price tags ............

Saw some Great Automatic (Caribbean Style) Washing machines today at Corripio today !

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
carina said:
"Real" shops does not overcharge you because of the color of the skin.
A small washing mashine is around 4000 at Casa Nelson, a little more at Gonzales ( also anothe brand ).

Oh, okay. I'll have Angel re-visit the shops he went to and inform them that they are impersonators. It must be true if you say it is. ;) I know of many gringos that will argue that point, though, as they have been grossly overcharged only due to the colour of their skin, in, yes, "real" shops.

4000 RD for a washing machine at Casa Nelson? Angel was there and he didn't see such thing - perhaps he missed it. The one he bought was a Daewoo, included delivery, installation, and warranty, so no real worrying about gas there - "running around half the island" to Gaspar Hernandez. A publico to take a look will do.

and a local that expects both commission and a little payment from you, and you have paid more.

You might want to find better Dominican friends, as the Dominicans I know would never expect commission to help a friend.

Last edited:

jaycee147

Apr 19, 2006
i'm ok with the electrical items.. got a really good deal from casa dominicana. but they dont do much furniture. mainly looking for items like bed settee, coffee tables, full size bed, tv/hifi stand etc. not had much chance to compare because of being back in uk. its also difficult to know where to look when we only get chance to come over for a week or so.