larimar production

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
How sad to read of the four men who died in the larimar mine near Barahona.
The primitive methods used to mine larimar are reflected in the lack of safety.
The beautiful stones come at a price not seen when we look at beautiful larimar jewels. Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, this is so. I suspect that one of two things happened.
1) the compressor ran out of fuel and they poisoned the air before they knew it.
2) the compressor was pumping its own fumes down into the hole...CO2 goes low i believe and that is what killed them.

Many ambar miners die the same way or in cave ins...Heck look at the US just thisyear in "modern" mines..

HB :ermm:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
MIning Larimar is no joke. I dont know about the Ambar, but Larimar mines are shafts dug practically straight down at considerable depths. The guys go down with ropes round their waists! Impossible to get out of there if need be in a hurry. Very very dangerous work, but it could be made safer. No one bothers with this, just as in the cane fields, because the whole point is to keep labor costs and overhead down to the utmost minimum.

Those stones are beautiful, truly, but a heavy price is paid for them.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Many attempts have been made....

...to improve the conditions and methods used for mining Larimar. Problem is that the cost of "doing it right" is far greater than the production possibilities of this stone...hence a "cheap" production method that has great risks.

Most of these mines are "family owned" and they are VERY jealous about anyone coming in and "taking over".

This is the way it will be mined for years to come.......

Dave

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yes Dave that is a good point. I didnt know however that many attempts have been made to improve conditions. I would like to learn more. Meantime, undoubtedly, this is the way it will be mined for years to come.