Vegetable oil and Methanol price

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Stupid question i know but what are the retail prices for Vegetable oil (cheapest version) and Methanol?

Greetings

Johan

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
heldengebroed said:
Stupid question i know but what are the retail prices for Vegetable oil (cheapest version) and Methanol?

Greetings

Johan

Methanol?
That is an industrial alcohol, quite deadly for humans to use.

Are you sure it is not ethanol (pharmacy alcohol)?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It appears to me the OP is looking at alternative fuel usage, not household cooking or personal hygene.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I don't know if the supply would be sufficient in the DR, but in the US most people who make their own biodiesel get the oil free from the deep fat friers of restaurants when they change the oil. If you agree to do the dirty job of removing the used oil, they are generally happy to give it to you.

Side benefit is your exhaust smells like french fries!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Mirador said:
-

Mix vegetable oil with methanol and lye to get biodiesel...

-

Basicaly yes but the result is crude with impurities at the best. So other actions are needed to get a quality fuel.

This is one side of the coin. The other side is that for every 5 liters of biodiesel you get about 1 liter of waste products that have to be cared for. So what is basicaly a verry simple matter is in fact much more complicated if you want to produce more than the odd 20 gallons a week.

Greetings

Johan

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
heldengebroed said:
Basicaly yes but the result is crude with impurities at the best. So other actions are needed to get a quality fuel.

This is one side of the coin. The other side is that for every 5 liters of biodiesel you get about 1 liter of waste products that have to be cared for. So what is basicaly a verry simple matter is in fact much more complicated if you want to produce more than the odd 20 gallons a week.

Greetings

Johan
Interesting, Johan. Could we perhaps persuade you to do a "guest blog" for the Green Team on your experiments with biodiesel and their possible application in the DR context?

Keith R
Green Team leader

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Keith R said:
Interesting, Johan. Could we perhaps persuade you to do a "guest blog" for the Green Team on your experiments with biodiesel and their possible application in the DR context?

Keith R
Green Team leader

Let me first do some more research to see if it is "worth" it and if i can get the finances right. I'm currently looking at 2 production plants one off 3,6 tons a day and another of 12 tons dayly biodiesel production. If i can get the figures to work for me i'll be starting some bigger scale tests (100 litre batches)

The problems that ave to be solved are:

Financial
recources
Production
energy suply (for heating the oil at en environmental friendly way)
wastemanagement (glycerine, waste water)
Storrage
distribution
etc

Once i've worked that out to a certain extend i'll be glad to do so, but for now i have to start to learn how to crawl; walking and running isn't due yet

Greetings

Johan

PS how much does the oil and alcohol cost?

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
I believe you can use glycerine in the production of soap. You can research if there a local producer of soap that might be interested in glycerine, you migh get paid to get rid of your waste :glasses:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Soap, lotions, shampoo and many other cosmetic items have glycerine as one of the primary ingredients. I know the biodiesel "hobbiests" in the US don't seem to have a problem finding takers for their bi-products, but the DR may be a different matter altogether.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The glycerine isn't such a great problem but the production demands washing off the end product in order to remove impurities. For all i know at the moment for every ton off biodiesel you need 2 to 4000 littre off water that is poluted. I have to find a solution for this.

But first the price of oil and methanol

Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Greetings

Johan

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I bought methanol in Bellon last week so that I could start up production. It's in bottles marked "Claudette". I threw the receipt away. Please don't corner the entire damned market - I doubt if there's too much around. Perhaps someone from Santiago could pop in and get a price for you, or the number for Claudette who seem to sell glue, bleach, and so forth.