Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vegetable oil and Methanol price

Stupid question i know but what are the retail prices for Vegetable oil (cheapest version) and Methanol?

Greetings

Johan

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heldengebroed
    Stupid question i know but what are the retail prices for Vegetable oil (cheapest version) and Methanol?

Greetings

Johan
    Methanol?
    That is an industrial alcohol, quite deadly for humans to use.

Are you sure it is not ethanol (pharmacy alcohol)?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears to me the OP is looking at alternative fuel usage, not household cooking or personal hygene.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt
    It appears to me the OP is looking at alternative fuel usage, not household cooking or personal hygene.

Yep making test batches and doing the maths

Greetings

Johan

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

-

Mix vegetable oil with methanol and lye to get biodiesel...

-

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the supply would be sufficient in the DR, but in the US most people who make their own biodiesel get the oil free from the deep fat friers of restaurants when they change the oil. If you agree to do the dirty job of removing the used oil, they are generally happy to give it to you.

Side benefit is your exhaust smells like french fries!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirador
    -

Mix vegetable oil with methanol and lye to get biodiesel...

-
    Basicaly yes but the result is crude with impurities at the best. So other actions are needed to get a quality fuel.

This is one side of the coin. The other side is that for every 5 liters of biodiesel you get about 1 liter of waste products that have to be cared for. So what is basicaly a verry simple matter is in fact much more complicated if you want to produce more than the odd 20 gallons a week.

Greetings

Johan

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heldengebroed
    Basicaly yes but the result is crude with impurities at the best. So other actions are needed to get a quality fuel.

This is one side of the coin. The other side is that for every 5 liters of biodiesel you get about 1 liter of waste products that have to be cared for. So what is basicaly a verry simple matter is in fact much more complicated if you want to produce more than the odd 20 gallons a week.

Greetings

Johan
    Interesting, Johan. Could we perhaps persuade you to do a "guest blog" for the Green Team on your experiments with biodiesel and their possible application in the DR context?

Keith R
    Green Team leader

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R
    Interesting, Johan. Could we perhaps persuade you to do a "guest blog" for the Green Team on your experiments with biodiesel and their possible application in the DR context?

Keith R
    Green Team leader
    Let me first do some more research to see if it is "worth" it and if i can get the finances right. I'm currently looking at 2 production plants one off 3,6 tons a day and another of 12 tons dayly biodiesel production. If i can get the figures to work for me i'll be starting some bigger scale tests (100 litre batches)

The problems that ave to be solved are:

Financial
    recources
    Production
    energy suply (for heating the oil at en environmental friendly way)
    wastemanagement (glycerine, waste water)
    Storrage
    distribution
    etc

Once i've worked that out to a certain extend i'll be glad to do so, but for now i have to start to learn how to crawl; walking and running isn't due yet

Greetings

Johan

PS how much does the oil and alcohol cost?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe you can use glycerine in the production of soap. You can research if there a local producer of soap that might be interested in glycerine, you migh get paid to get rid of your waste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast