Doing business in free zones?

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Hola DR1 members,

Would someone, who has insider knowledge and / or personal experience of doing business in tax-free zones around Santo Domingo, be willing to share this knowledge? I realize that there are probably lots of ins and outs to it, in addition to simple obtaining RNC and renting the space. I have a small technology business which I am considering to move here.

If anyone is willing to share the information, please PM me or send a message to partbeamsystech@yahoo.com

Sincere appreciations in the form of Presidente (or any equivalent of your choosing) is offered?

Thanks a lot
russian

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have you done a search typing in free zones in the search mechanism of this forum? If you have not done so, take the plunge. Did so myself and some interesting posts that can give you an oversight are to be found.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Dolores, thank you for the idea, I got quite a bit of information from past posts.

So did CAFTA come into effect in January, or will it do so in July? Can anyone share some knowledge on how typically is business done in free zones? Is it common to rent a couple of hundreds of square meters, or you have to be talking in high thousands? What are the common "undocumented expenses" of being is a free zone? How does security handled? How electrical outages do normally handled, would owner of the free zone have generator, or would tenant have to install his own? What are typical terms of the lease (annual or monthly payments?) and typical duration (can you rent for one year, or you have to sign five years lease to get in)?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just generally, all free zones are not created equal. Some of them are privately owned and administered and some are government owned and administered. You need to find the free zone that does the kind of business that you would like to do, and understand your business model. Many free zones have installed their own power generators and many free zone companies have installed their own power generators. Undocumented expenses would be things like additional security, sometimes a little 'gift' for the aduana personnel that work in the free zones - not many of those, if you choose a reliable free zone. Best is to visit, talk with the owners or administrators and then ask to talk to some of the businesses in the free zone. Most free zones also have some kind of representative business group that discusses issues with the management of the free zone on a formal basis.

Typical leases to my knowledge would be 5 years. Small premises are very hard to find in the Zones and frequently you have to figure a way to sublease from another larger business if you are not interested in lots of space. One free zone in Santiago has smaller spaces but the waiting list is long.

If you're dealing in container loads full of goods, free zones are absolutely the way to go. If not, perhaps there may be other more reasonable options.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Free Zone info

Russian said:
Hola DR1 members,

Would someone, who has insider knowledge and / or personal experience of doing business in tax-free zones around Santo Domingo, be willing to share this knowledge? I realize that there are probably lots of ins and outs to it, in addition to simple obtaining RNC and renting the space. I have a small technology business which I am considering to move here.

Dear Russian,

I had originally come here and set up a mortgage business in the free zone for someone. Now I have my business outside the zone.

If I understand your post, you are looking to manufacture some type of tech. merchandise? Depending on what it is. The labor pay in the zone is less than the rest of the country. They also have some different labor laws. Rents are expensive, and space is generally large unless you can sublet from someone who has a divided space. Electricity, we had our own generators, and as far as a/c that you have to install yourself.

If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I was in the San Isidro free zone. I still have contact with them if you need an intro.

As an aside, if your product is technical, I do know of some people in the free zone that would do the contracting work for you. That might work out better for you. He does contractin g for some other people.

JRR

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Russian -

I am also interested in subleasing space for or sub-contracting out callcenter work. I would greatly appreciate anyone with information on which free trade zone handles such work or companies that are located in the FTZs and how I can contact them -