Immigration-What is the average wait time?

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this....pls be nice...;)

Like many others on this board, i have recently sent the application for my husband to immigrate to Canada.

Does anyone have any insight as to how long the average wait time is?

i know that it could take anywhere from 3 months-16 months...but wanted to hear from anyone who has recently been sucessful.

Thank you,
Dominican_Daisy

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Thank you Anna,

But...

I would like to hear from anyone who has already gone through this and has been successful in bringing their spouse to Canada recently.

I would like to hear from people who can give information on their recent experiences, so I can know what to expect next!

For example: How many people have had to go through the interview process, what kinds of questions they ask? etc.....

I know every case is different but it would be nice to read about people who have just finished this process

Thanks,
Dominican Daisy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Although not the DR, My brother's wife just came to Canada from Cuba and the process took 10 months. In 99/2000 it took my wife (Dominican) 8 months.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
It took us 7 months from April - November 2005 including a 2 month wait, for the visa and return of passport, after the September interview.

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
scotia said:
It took us 7 months from April - November 2005 including a 2 month wait, for the visa and return of passport, after the September interview.

Thanks everyone,

Scotia....may I ask what is involved in the interview, were you both interviewed and what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks...your info would be great!

Dominican Daisy

rhodesey

Apr 17, 2006
Visitor Visa-is this possible at all?

My fiancee lives in Santo Domingo and I have been going down to visit him every 2 months, I live in Canada. But this is getting very expensive and want him to come here for a visit. We are just starting the paperwork for the visitors visa, but I have read tons of stories and it is very disscouraging. As well I am not willing to marry him right away to make this easier, for this seems like the only solution to this problem. Can someone please give me some sort of hope? Or maybe just some insight on this situation.

By the way this is my first attempt to post and am not sure how to start my own thread or to post so I hope this works.

Lynn

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
dominican_daisy said:
Thanks everyone,

Scotia....may I ask what is involved in the interview, were you both interviewed and what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks...your info would be great!

Dominican Daisy

It took Angel and I about five months to get a spousal visa. I may have had some "help from above" as I was pregnant at the time, and once my doctor wrote a letter confirming this and I faxed it to the Embassy, things moved along very fast.

Interview questions I remember or have heard about were:

How did you meet?
When did you meet?
How many times has xxxxx come to visit? How much time have you spent together?
What will you do (for work) in Canada?
When is (insert spouse name)'s birthday?
What do you currently do for work?
Where does (insert spouse name) live?
Have you ever had any problems with the law?

I can't remember anymore - it's been a while since I've thought about this, but if I think of anymore, I will post them here.

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
trina said:
It took Angel and I about five months to get a spousal visa. I may have had some "help from above" as I was pregnant at the time, and once my doctor wrote a letter confirming this and I faxed it to the Embassy, things moved along very fast.

Interview questions I remember or have heard about were:

How did you meet?
When did you meet?
How many times has xxxxx come to visit? How much time have you spent together?
What will you do (for work) in Canada?
When is (insert spouse name)'s birthday?
What do you currently do for work?
Where does (insert spouse name) live?
Have you ever had any problems with the law?

I can't remember anymore - it's been a while since I've thought about this, but if I think of anymore, I will post them here.

Thanks Trina,

I was hoping you would post something. It is encouraging to hear that it may not take as long as I had originally thought.

Dominican Daisy

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
dominican_daisy said:
Thanks Trina,

I was hoping you would post something. It is encouraging to hear that it may not take as long as I had originally thought.

Dominican Daisy

From what I've heard through the grapevine, I think it really does depend on everyone's personal situation. When I sent my papers, I had it completely organized for them, via a table of contents in the same format as the checklist provided by CIC. I also wrote them a letter, explaining our relationship, how we met, how we'd lived together in the DR, etc. I sent all the calling cards I'd used, even though they say not to. I detailed my trips, evidenced by my passport to show the validity of our relationship. I tried to personalize it as best as I could, which I believe showed sincerity.

I'd e-mailed the Embassy to ask a question, and the person who answered me just happened to be the person to receive and work on my file in Haiti. I communicated with her throughout the process, in French, to accomodate her. My French is rudimentary at best, but I think she respected the fact that I was trying.

I've heard cases take as long as two-three years, but not recently. The one's I've heard about in the last couple of years have gone relatively fast, anywhere between four months and nine months, to give you some sort of idea.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
PHP:
I've heard cases take as long as two-three years, but not recently

No, Trina , that is only the case when it is an American trying to get into Canada - remember !! LOL

(sorry, just had to add that, since that is how long it took my husband from Minnesota to get his residency, and I know, not DR related!! )

Carry on...;)

Marlie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
marliejaneca said:
PHP:
I've heard cases take as long as two-three years, but not recently

No, Trina , that is only the case when it is an American trying to get into Canada - remember !! LOL

(sorry, just had to add that, since that is how long it took my husband from Minnesota to get his residency, and I know, not DR related!! )

Carry on...;)

Marlie

I remember, that was terrible...I'm glad that ordeal is over for you.