Could I find an ESL Teaching job?

reagan

Apr 21, 2006
I have recently completed a TEFL Certificate (I do not have a degree) and was planning to move to the Puerto Plata area to teach English. After reading some of the messages on the forum, I am now worried that I may not be able to find a job.I wasn't expecting to earn a lot, just enough to cover expenses, but it seems even that is near impossible! I also have the option of spending a few months in Spain with family before I leave to improve my Spanish, but was lead to believe (by my tutors) that I would easily find a job as Spanish is not essential.I would be grateful for any advice that anybody can give me on availability of teaching jobs in the area aswell as typical salary and benefits and also if I did spend a few months improving my Spanish would it increase my chances of finding a job with decent pay?
Kind Regards
Reagan

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
It will be hard to find a decent job without knowledge of Spanish. First of all, you need to know what to ask for in terms of pay, and you can only ask that once you know what your expenses are.

The best advice possible is to come with money to float for a few months, make connections and see where that takes you. If you can't make the connections where you are at now, take the time and come down and check it out.

North Coast has lots of expats, and some towns are just for hustlers, so stick to Santiago or Santo Domingo.

AGain, without Spanish, you will be learning street smarts before teaching...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i know a buddy of mine who doubled up his skills before moving to DR. He studdied sports therapy as well as teaching ESL...and is now a sports therapist and teaching English to the baseball players in SPM. what a gig!!!!

I would go to spain and hone in on your spanish. Many years ago i had a few friends who went to japan to teach ESL, and they made good money...but that was the late 80's early 90's and japan ruled.

You have given me a brilliant Idea tho. My firm has offices in santo domingo. The professionals are all bilingual....however...perhaps i might find a way to set up a program to teach support staff englishI who knows?

Best o' luck!!!

jj

reagan

Apr 21, 2006
Thank you for your advice. I've decided to go to Spain for a few months and get a job in real estate while I'm studying so hopefully that will also open more doors for me once I get to the Dominican Republic.
Thanks again.