Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DR1 Daily News - Suicide statistics

Just wondering how it is possible that 132% of all suicides happend in the national district incl santo domingo. Does this mean 2249,83 people killed themself? Where there no suicides outside Santo Domingo/National District/Santiago? Questions over questions...

<QUOTE>
    Suicide statistics
    1,243 suicides were registered in the DR since 2003. This figure includes 858 young people between the ages of 12 and 30, representing 69.02% of the total. The province with the highest rate is Santo Domingo (81%), followed by the National District (51%), and Santiago (49%), according to a report in El Caribe.
    </QUOTE>

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna comment on this yestereday, but I think the percentages quoted refer to the percentage suicides that are young people. (between 12-30 yrs old)

Otherwise the DR has a suicide rate well in excess of 100% and there should be no Dominicans left by now and a good number of foreign residents ending it all for good measure.

Post Thanks / Like

That figure is probably based on a number of the population, say for every 100,000 there are X number of suicides.

It still doesn't make much sense.

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it this was not your translation, HB? I was going easy on it because I thought it might be your work.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MeMike's interpetation. It appears that 69.02% of the suicides in the DR overall were of people between the ages of 12 and 30. 81% of suicides in Santo Domingo were in that age group. 51% of suicides in the National District and 49% of suicides in Santiago were also of people between 12 and 30.