bringing children to live in DR

svmher

Apr 10, 2006
I keep getting second thoughts about moving to DR. It may not be the place to raise kids. The tourism industry, retirement communities, and party scene is not conducive to a family with small children. It may not be this way but it was I am feeling from the posts. It makes me wonder if the schools are good since in many tourism areas (even in the US) they are not very good.
Can someone enlighten me on this?
THanks,
Lynne

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
In addition to the quality of the schools, you will also need to consider the cost. A "first world" caliber education in the DR is not cheap. I've noticed that in the many discussions/arguments here on the board about how much it costs to live in the DR, the people who say it is expensive are often the ones who are raising children and have to pay tuition at private schools.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You can provide a very good education.......if you pay. You will want to be hands on and make sure they are making the progress you expect. You will want to question everything about the school, teachers, study, etc. And remember, they will tell you what you want to hear. You have to vigilant.

If you can combine the good from the DR with the good from your country then you will do fine. If you work a little at it....the diet of your family will improve as you will be eating much more veggies and fruits and not be as tempted by processed foods. Once you learn spanish and become acclimated to the culture, learn the boundaries of engagement, etc...you will live a much more stressless life. It is very easy to fill your life with people here and that is very healthy for your children. You just have to pick people you let in very carefully. But the neighbors will say hello, sit out in front and talk, etc...and that is very healthy for people. You will be close to nice beaches and beautiful mountains. There are much less rules and regulations here....also I believe very healthy. Now if you can combine that with what your homeland provides....occasional trips there to museums, parks, events, restaurants, the extended family there, etc...then you can indeed have a good life. Best of luck.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting to get your perspective. I have been living in the DR for 20 years and am not familiar with the party scene you mention. Also, though there are presently no children in the condominium where I live, I don't feel I am living in a retirement community, either. I know a number of families living in the Sosua area, where I live.

In my other life I was involved in public education, serving as a superintendent of school districts in Michigan and New York for many years. When people talked with me about moving with their children onto a cruising sailboat or moving to another country, I always encouraged them

It is my experience that children who have parents who are supportive of them, who read to them when they are young, and who provide them with many enrichment experiences are the children who succeed in school and in later life. There are a lot of pluses to living in another country, experiencing life in another culture, and becoming fluent in another language, as children do, even if their parents don't.

I think what you need to do is to come here and spend time visiting the schools, talking with the educators, talking with the parents of children in the schools. Given the questions you have in your mind, I don't see how you can possibly make what you believe is the right decision unless you do that.

svmher

Apr 10, 2006
Bringing children to DR

Oh, thank you so much for the responses. We currently live in Kuwait, but are Americans. The kids have been able to travel--all over the region here. In fact, I was in Bahrain last week and the 4 year old was upset with me and said she was taking her suitcase and walking back to Kuwait. They have experienced so much culture here. My 6 year olds best friend is from Pakastan. My 4year old's friend speaks Arabic and French. They are in a British school right now. Their education is more important to me than where I live. I do supplement thier education even though their school is wonderful by reading, doing extra math and science etc. Kuwait is a very family friendly country.
Your responses are much appreciated. Moving is always a scary adventure especially when children are involved.
Thanks so much,
Lynne

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
svmher said:
I keep getting second thoughts about moving to DR. It may not be the place to raise kids. The tourism industry, retirement communities, and party scene is not conducive to a family with small children. It may not be this way but it was I am feeling from the posts. It makes me wonder if the schools are good since in many tourism areas (even in the US) they are not very good.
Can someone enlighten me on this?
THanks,
Lynne

Lynne while a lot depends on where you might be living, and I agree you might have more trouble in the resort areas finding good schools for your children, and education is the one real problem here, the rest of your concerns are probably unfounded. My child certainly has no experience of tourism, retirement communities, and the party scene. she has an extensive family here and loads of friends, is smothered in affection and attention, and unlike children in developed nations, has been very thoroughly socialized (children here play like normal children, they dont sit in front of video screens all day long). True, the culture as a whole has a general love of drink and dance, but that neednt be a bad influence on your child if you dont allow it to be. Plus you dont see too many teens down here, as you do in the states, who just hang around and get high all the time. Children in general behave pretty well here.

I think Snuffy pretty much hit it on the nose. Now when I say that education is the big issue, it boils down to this: the public education system is woefully inadequate. Many of the private schools, what we call "colegios" are also inadequate. YOu have to do your research. Parental support can make up for a lot, but one still has to have a school with the right attitude and resources. The most expensive in the capital is Carol Morgan (around 7 or 8000US per annum), but while the campus is gorgeous and ample, the atmosphere is way too elitist for my taste. There are many others just as good or better for half that amount. Since you will be saving on other expenses, the education of your children may not end up being the burden it otherwise might be.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I, generaly regarded as the curmudgeon of the board, always push for Santiago, a real Dominican city with an interesting mix of people.

I hope you play bridge! We always need a fourth.:)

And we have schools that are quite adequate for youngsters. My kids have done well here and in graduate school in the States. One of my former students just told me last night that she got 94s on her first two medical boards, and #2 was clinical administered in Philadelphia! (8 hours long).

I personally do not worry much about education, since if they can learn to read and write, that is just about enough if they have the wherewithall to study a bit. (Simplistic, I know..)

Obviously, you should spend a bit of time looking around and getting a feel for life here....then make your decision..

HB:D:D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I personally do not worry much about education, since if they can learn to read and write, that is just about enough if they have the wherewithall to study a bit. (Simplistic, I know..)

I agree with Hillbilly. This is what I was trying to say, but HB said it better. All of life is a school, and your children have a richer curriculum than most. And now that we have a global economy, your children will have a big advantage over the children who attended "conventional" schools because they will have learned how to live iand succeed in other countries and will be fluent in the languages of the countries they have lived in.

I envy your children having this experience. I wish mine had been as fortunate.

Be honest with yourself. How much did you really benefit from your elementary and high school education in your own country? I know I got very little out of mine. What made me successful in my "other life" were the values and the work ethic that I got from my parents.

Encourage your children to take their studies seriously, work with them at home as needed, and continue providing them with these rich experiences. And stop worrying about whether the school in town X in the DR is as good as the one in town X in your own country.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
...I personally do not worry much about education, since if they can learn to read and write, that is just about enough if they have the wherewithall to study a bit. (Simplistic, I know..)...
HB:D:D:D

You forgot the 3rd 'R' - Reckoning ;)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you are moving due to business reasons you may not have a choice as to the area. One thing to keep in mind when moving with children is what is important to the needs of your child at their present age. I have a friend here in SD whose youngest child is in a Montessori school while her oldest attends Carol Morgan. You also have to keep in mind what is important to you for your children to experience at school, is it sports, the arts, to be fully immersed in Spanish, etc, etc? These should be the guidelines you consider first in my opinion.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you are going to be here long enough for the children to complete their schooling. If you are not you might want to consider a school that is certified by one of the US acredidation associations (or Abe Lincoln in Romana - a cross between the English and Domincan systems) since this will help keep your children in a position to transfer more easily to a wider range of schools worldwide if you move on to another country before they graduate.

This is a great country to raise young children. We came here expecting to stay two or three years and this is our ninth year. Our son was born here and this has been a great experience for our family. We are moving on to another country in June (we are international educators) but feel free to get in contact with me if you have any questions.

roknroni

Apr 23, 2006
Need registered nurses in the northern parts of DR?

Please start a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
roknroni, a big NO-NO on this message board is hijacking somebody else's thread. Please start a new thread with your question and let smvher get her question answered.