Playa Dorado Golf Course

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
drtampa said:
Any update on Playa Dorado Golf Course closing May, June and July for repairs?

Have not heard anything about that...BUT the course is in horrible condition, and the course is bad, regardless of condition. I was there one week ago and we played three holes, to much water on e course, cr?dit to play again, not sure if I want. According to Golf Digest among the 100 best courses outside US, hmmm Playa Grande is not in there, and Playa Doradas best hole is not better than the worst hole (probably the 5th) at Playa Grande...

Why do you want to play Playa Dorada?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Playa Dorado much improved.

I played Playa Dorado twice last week along with playing Playa Grande, Jarabacoa, and Santiago (Hillbilly and Grahame). Gotta use the "free" Fedogolf rounds wnen you can.
I have never seen such a complete turn around from the condition of PD for the past several Christmas'.
The course was as near perfect as possible. Fairways were lush and excellent. The greens had a few places that were cut too closely but were up to Playa Grande's current standards.
I did not find any changes in the course itself from renovation but I was most impressed by condition. Carts were 90 degree, but I walked without having to dodge any wet spots.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
drtampa said:
I played Playa Dorado twice last week along with playing Playa Grande, Jarabacoa, and Santiago (Hillbilly and Grahame). Gotta use the "free" Fedogolf rounds wnen you can.
I have never seen such a complete turn around from the condition of PD for the past several Christmas'.
The course was as near perfect as possible. Fairways were lush and excellent. The greens had a few places that were cut too closely but were up to Playa Grande's current standards.
I did not find any changes in the course itself from renovation but I was most impressed by condition. Carts were 90 degree, but I walked without having to dodge any wet spots.

Thanks for the great news drtampa. What were the conditions like at playa Grande? Any signs there pointing to them going private as previously stated? As well of the course you played can you give us your rankings from perspective of 1. Conditions, 2. Course layout, 3. Course toughness 4. Scenery and 5. Price. Thanks so much drtampa...tom

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Playa Grande and Playa Dorado same condition, excellent, but it has not been raining for some time. Both are overpriced without Fedogolf. Nothing has changed at Playa Grande course or hotel.
Scenery and price go to Santiago. Jaracaboa is beautiful but no overlooks.
Jarabacoa had just plugged and sanded four of their their greens. The other five are some of the quickest I have ever played, and I have played many of the USA's top courses. Greens are small and all are crowned.
Santiago is the toughest followed by Jarabacoa, Playa Grande and Playa Dorado. I just cant seem to put together a good round in Santiago and I never fail to break 80 at Playa Dorado (handicap 11.1).

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
drtampa said:
Playa Grande and Playa Dorado same condition, excellent, but it has not been raining for some time. Both are overpriced without Fedogolf. Nothing has changed at Playa Grande course or hotel.
Scenery and price go to Santiago. Jaracaboa is beautiful but no overlooks.
Jarabacoa had just plugged and sanded four of their their greens. The other five are some of the quickest I have ever played, and I have played many of the USA's top courses. Greens are small and all are crowned.
Santiago is the toughest followed by Jarabacoa, Playa Grande and Playa Dorado. I just cant seem to put together a good round in Santiago and I never fail to break 80 at Playa Dorado (handicap 11.1).

Thanks so much drtampa. GReat information...tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I thinkit's something i put in the pancakes!!! Or, it might be that 100% Real maple syrup!!

Anyway, we had some good fun! Also good to know that Pg is coming back as i remember it!!

Thanks for the post

HB :D:D:D

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Hillbilly said:
I thinkit's something i put in the pancakes!!! Or, it might be that 100% Real maple syrup!!

Anyway, we had some good fun! Also good to know that Pg is coming back as i remember it!!

Thanks for the post

HB :D:D:D

I see you've been enjoying yourself ;) .. hope you had a better round on Santiago this time around..

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
drtampa said:
The greens may be much better but they are still crap.

I find it hard to believe Playa Grande has greens like these.

At least Playa Dorada has lowered the greens fee.
I think the Summer fee was $50 US and is now $40 plus 16% taxes.
After 4:00 the fee is $25.

The rentals are horrible.
I can't wait to use my clubs today.