The "Quickie Divorce"

CrazyGurl

Apr 17, 2006
I have a few questions that have left me confused after reading the segment on the "Quickie Divorces" by two foreigners.

Questions as follows:

1) Is this type of divorce recognized legally in Canada?

2) Is there a restriction on when you can remarry?

3) Do the notarized documents (of non-travelling spouse) need to be prepared by a Dominican consulate in my country? Or is any Canadian notary sufficient?

Anyone with experience, I would love your feedback.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
1) Is this type of divorce recognized legally in Canada? You should consult with a solicitor licensed to practice in your province. As a Dominican solicitor I cannot ethically give an opinion on the laws of a jurisdiction to which I have not been admitted to practice.

2) Is there a restriction on when you can remarry? According to Art. 35 of Divorce Law 1306-bis of 1938, a divorced woman can only remarry ten months after her divorce has been final, the only exception being when she is remarrying her old husband. However, non-compliance with this rule does not void the marriage.

3) Do the notarized documents (of non-travelling spouse) need to be prepared by a Dominican consulate in my country? Or is any Canadian notary sufficient? All documents have to be authenticated at the Dominican Consulate