drbill

Dec 3, 2005
smart and mateure

Childish post. Removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The bar at the Gran Almirante is nice.
There are several places where people get together, but there are no real "Bars" like PJ's in NYC, or Cheers in Boston...
Well dressed is subjective...sort of depends on what you are looking for ..

HB :D:D:D

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
Hillbilly said:
The bar at the Gran Almirante is nice.
There are several places where people get together, but there are no real "Bars" like PJ's in NYC, or Cheers in Boston...
Well dressed is subjective...sort of depends on what you are looking for ..

HB :D:D:D

well....
i still cant understand how jeans/tennis shoes are accepted in 'acclaimed' classy bars.

you know im way laid back.. shorts and sandals as much as possible... but once a week or two i get the feeling to dress up and look sharp.. that means slacks and a nice dress shirt... POSSIBLE jacket too (i mean a suit jacket).

yet, in many places around the world, 'acclaimed' classy bars allow just about anybody to come in just so that they can make money.

so yeah.. im lookin for a more classy joint where selection is strict.

thanks for the replies.. i appreciate the help.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It's kinda harsh to expect people to dress like they're in a different climate and sit there and sweat with clothes designed for European weather.

You may dress up and go out wanting to look "sharp" but you're just going to end up looking silly once you step out of the air conditioned cab and the sweat starts rolling down your face.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
robert, what the heck? Was not, was not, was not... .

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
boogieman said:
yet, in many places around the world, 'acclaimed' classy bars allow just about anybody to come in just so that they can make money.

so yeah.. im lookin for a more classy joint where selection is strict.

thanks for the replies.. i appreciate the help.
In NYC, some of the most selective clubs in Manhattan allows Dress Jeans, shoes, collared button-down shirt, no chains and no hats. This is considered the dress code for the young hipsters, scenesters, artists, hedge-fund kids & A or B listers. All of the Major Law & Wall Street firms have been dressed down since the boom of the ninety's, so of course clubs have reflected this including, Copa, 40/40, Bungalow 8, Cabana, APT, & Frederick's of course.

Also, many clubs that were mentioned in the DR could be very selective, like no gold chains and no earings and if you look like a tiguere, forget it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
boogieman said:
im sure such bars exist... perhaps YOU just havent found em!!!

Trust me, I have been to all of them.

After 10 years here, you get to know what's in and what's not etc.

It's more about who you are or with and the color of your skin if you get in or not. Yes, racism is alive and kicking in the DR, along with jeans and a shirt to get into the best clubs/bars.

Go take a look at http://bonche.com to get and idea of the dress code for "high-end" places.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
Robert said:
Trust me, I have been to all of them.

After 10 years here, you get to know what's in and what's not etc.

It's more about who you are or with and the color of your skin if you get in or not. Yes, racism is alive and kicking in the DR, along with jeans and a shirt to get into the best clubs/bars.

Go take a look at http://bonche.com to get and idea of the dress code for "high-end" places.

well.....
i guess anything is possible although in each of the many countries ive visited in my life, i always found the classy joints.

ill take your word for it mate...
by the way... when you say 'color of your skin'.... you mean to tell me a lighter skin will get you in?????

do the 'higher' class joints allow easy entry to eurpeans/foreigners of light skin?

kinda distubring and unjust... but cant complain as im white:squareeye

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
boogieman said:
well.....
i guess anything is possible although in each of the many countries ive visited in my life, i always found the classy joints.

ill take your word for it mate...
by the way... when you say 'color of your skin'.... you mean to tell me a lighter skin will get you in?????

do the 'higher' class joints allow easy entry to eurpeans/foreigners of light skin?

kinda distubring and unjust... but cant complain as im white:squareeye
But if you look like white trash ex: body loaded with tattooes and dressed in dirty jeans, sneakers and faded T shirt, then you are also booted out.
So please, no laid-back looks in some places.
Your place would be Francifol cafe and tribecca in santiago.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, lighter.

Foreigners sometimes get turned away at the door, because they are usually with a girl that is outside a particular social set. As I said, it can also be who you are with.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tamborista said:
What if you look like a well dressed Terrorista?
welcome to DR, we may all fit your description of a terrorista. Keep watching CNN it makes you sound very intelligent.
Terrorista, hahahaha, is that all you can come up with? chaep, but how original.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
Yes, lighter.

Foreigners sometimes get turned away at the door, because they are usually with a girl that is outside a particular social set. As I said, it can also be who you are with.
So true.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh, I think he means the places he'll never get to visit.
The lounge at La Romana CountryClub
The 19thhole a the CountryClub in Santo Domingo
The bar at the Casa Espa?a
The bar at the Centro Espa?ol

But again, these are not really bars....neither are Francifol or Tribeca....

It's who you know, all the way....

HB

And there are some places in Santo Domingo that are very nice, but, again, they are not really bars, are they? Tr?o, and that sort of place?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah, if you want to find snobby places to hang out there are a few around, but...they don't want you there unless you're somebody, and if you're somebody you don't need to ask where they are on DR1.