Alamo Rent-a-Car-Insurance

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Has anyone rented a car from Alamo (In Bavaro) lately? I wanted to know what type of insurance do they offer, example liability, CDW, etc. and what the rates are for each one.

I am renting a car from them in May, but am using my Credit Card for the Collision Damage Waiver Coverage. I want to purchase the other insurance they offer, so that I can be fully covered. Any info. will be helpful. Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Unless you can show proof that your personal liability policy covers you in the DR, it is mandatory to purchase the liability coverage offered by the rental company anywhere in the DR. If your credit card provides CDW coverage, you can waive that, but be aware that to be reimbursed for any damage through a credit card, you MUST have a police report. This is not the case if you buy the CDW coverage. I spent 8 hours at the police station in PP waiting to get all the signatures I needed for a claim when I knocked my side view mirror off backing up too close to a wall late one night. I'd have just paid for it, but it was a motorized mirror, and the repair was over $600.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
i have rented with alamo in sti airport and sti city. I don't have to show proof of credit card auto insur... i just tell them i will use my ccard insur and that's it... what i do recommend to take is the glass/tire windshield coverage... us$3/day.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
THE GAME said:
i have rented with alamo in sti airport and sti city. I don't have to show proof of credit card auto insur... i just tell them i will use my ccard insur and that's it... what i do recommend to take is the glass/tire windshield coverage... us$3/day.

You dont purchase liability insurance?

Sep 19, 2005
my visa company said I would have to call them with al the details of the transaction at the time of rental to be covered. It is NOT automatic!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
I was under the impression that Secondary Liability Insurance was included in the cost of the rental. When I called the 800 number that is what I was told, but then again, what they tell you if you call the 800 number can vary greatly from what they tell you at the counter.

I have a related question for anyone who has rented from Alamo. Is it true that they put a minimun hold of $300 on your credit card? I'm trying to avoid any unpleasant surprises at the counter.:surprised