Cultural question

kirklinv

Feb 20, 2006
I know this is somewhat random and off topic:
I've always wondered what the cultural classifications were in the D.R. In most Spanish influenced countries I've heard of different classifications of the people within the country: like criollo, zambo, mestizo, or indio. I was wondering if the Dominican Republic has these same classifications?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't really know that they exist, as you describethem. Zambo, mestizo and indio are racial terms and that topic is sort of a no-no, since it arouses such heated and often times disrespectful debates.
I don't know how much you know of Latin American History, but criollos were the descendants of Spaniards who were born in the Americas. As such, they were second class citizens to the Gachupines (native born Spaniards). Zambos were something like the result of a mestizo(half Indian) and a black(, while mestizos were Spaniards and Indian). "Indios" is nearly a swearword in many South or Central American countries. Zambos could also be the children of an Indian and a black.
There were an incredible number of racial/cultural designations during colonial times where people were supposed to "knowtheir stations in life."

None of these apply to the DR, where the population is basically mulatto, or a combination of black and white, since there were very few Indians left after 100 years of Spanish colonization.

However, there is a distinct lack of identification with anything black, except within a small intelligencia that makes a living by emphasizing the African roots of part of the Dominican people. I would hazard a guess that if you asked 1000 Dominicans who their ancesters were, the answer would be overwhelmingly something to do with a white culture rather than the Haitian or black culture, dispite the very obvious fact of its existance.

However, as i said this has been debated ad nausium and never satisfactorily answered. I am sure that someone will find fault with this, but it is pretty true..

HB :ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
IMHO the ascription to a individual of a singular identity (e.g., "criollo, zambo, mestizo, or indio") to the exclusion of other facets of his/her personality, leads to the miniaturization of human beings. Reducing an individual to a choiceless singularity, such as the color of the skin, or the origins of remote ancestors, leads to the solitarist bilittling of human identity...
Mr kirklinv, let's try being a little less reductionist...

-

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
As HB said none of what you are asking is really applicable to the DR. Take me for example. I am 100% Mulatto. My father's mother is the color of Pena Gomez yet her husband is white with european features. On my mother's side all family members are light skinned with roots tracing back to France and Spain.

There is a saying for all Dominicans. No matter how light skinned you are there is a little trace of black behind your ear.

HB - correct me if I am wrong but isn't the DR 70% or 80% Mulatto? I think I read that somwhere once.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
From everything I have read, the DR is about 73% mulatto, 16% Caucasoid and 11% black. Of course, into that mix you have to insert the genes of the native peoples who disappeared a long time ago. The Caucasoid segment has received a lot of genes from Syrians, Lebanese etc. as well as from the original Spanish settlers, who formed the base of that group.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As Mirador says: Who cares? It is a fabulous mix, whatever it may be.

There was a study, not too long ago, that took DNA from some South American tribesmen and compared it to typical Dominican DNA. It seems that there was a reasonably high rate of markers between the two...SOOO, it seems that the Taino blood does run deep within the population, even though the original population and culture were wiped out.

HB :D:D

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
If color/physiognomy/type etc. are, as you think, racial slurs, why does my wife's passport classify here as "Indio"?
"Racism" mostly exists in the minds of those whose agendas need it to exist.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Regarding the DR, the majority are mulatto with minorities of whites and blacks. It must be said that officials use mulattos as a convenience, the actual mixture of each individual Dominican is more complex than simply mulatto. There are many zambos, puchelas, saltaras, quadroon mulattos, etc; but since mixture between European and African are present in most of the population from a particular point in their genetic background, then the officials simply call mulatto whomever does no identifies as white or black.

As Juan Carlos stated: "73% mulatto, 16% white and 11% black", those are the most recent figures.

It's important to note that the actual racial composition of the country today is probably slightly different from the official data simply due to migration patterns and higher birth rates among some groups vs others. Since the racial classification used in officialdom (such as the stats offered by Juan Carlos) are from the last census, it makes sense that the composition may be different today since it has been quite some time since the last census.

For example, in the World Geographical Encyclopedia, which was printed in 1995, it states that Dominicans wee 60% mulattos, 28% whites, and 12% blacks. Those official figures were taken from the 1989 census.

Once the new census was made in 1996 (I think it was that year) the results were 73% mulatto, 16% white, and 11% black.

Obviously, the difference in racial composition did not abruptly changed in 1996, but rather faded from 1989 to 1996 and since it's 2006, we can all agree that it's probably much different today.

I won't be surprised if the percentage of blacks begins to increase dramatically as the millions Haitians in the DR procreate in alarming rates. In a report in Listin Diario it reported that 25% of San Pedro de Macoris' hospital budget is spent on Haitian mothers giving birth and the typical Haitian household has 9 members. This will cause demographic changes, since there are over 1 million Haitians, with thousands entering and being born within the country every month.

-NALs

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
NALs said:
Regarding the DR, the majority are mulatto with minorities of whites and blacks. It must be said that officials use mulattos as a convenience, the actual mixture of each individual Dominican is more complex than simply mulatto. There are many zambos, puchelas, saltaras, quadroon mulattos, etc; but since mixture between European and African are present in most of the population from a particular point in their genetic background, then the officials simply call mulatto whomever does no identifies as white or black.

As Juan Carlos stated: "73% mulatto, 16% white and 11% black", those are the most recent figures.

It's important to note that the actual racial composition of the country today is probably slightly different from the official data simply due to migration patterns and higher birth rates among some groups vs others. Since the racial classification used in officialdom (such as the stats offered by Juan Carlos) are from the last census, it makes sense that the composition may be different today since it has been quite some time since the last census.

For example, in the World Geographical Encyclopedia, which was printed in 1995, it states that Dominicans wee 60% mulattos, 28% whites, and 12% blacks. Those official figures were taken from the 1989 census.

Once the new census was made in 1996 (I think it was that year) the results were 73% mulatto, 16% white, and 11% black.

Obviously, the difference in racial composition did not abruptly changed in 1996, but rather faded from 1989 to 1996 and since it's 2006, we can all agree that it's probably much different today.

I won't be surprised if the percentage of blacks begins to increase dramatically as the millions Haitians in the DR procreate in alarming rates. In a report in Listin Diario it reported that 25% of San Pedro de Macoris' hospital budget is spent on Haitian mothers giving birth and the typical Haitian household has 9 members. This will cause demographic changes, since there are over 1 million Haitians, with thousands entering and being born within the country every month.

-NALs

True about the Hatian population in the DR. I see more and more Hatians on the street on every trip I take out there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
El Tigre said:
True about the Hatian population in the DR. I see more and more Hatians on the street on every trip I take out there.
In the next few decades the Dominican Republic is going to be overwhelmingly Haitian and Haitianized.

Just look at Cuba, which it's demographic shift is mostly due to emigration of mostly whites and partial immigration of black Jamaicans and Haitians. Add to this the relax racial attitudes towards miscegination and a new type of people increasingly replace the old structure.

In 1959, Cuba's census data showed 70% white, 23% mulatto, and 7% black. Recent demographic statistics from Cuba shows the following:

mulatto 51%
white 37%
black 11%
Chinese 1%

Tremendous change!

Is all of this change good or bad? This remains to be seen, but so far it appears that ideological differences threatens societies more than does mere racial differences.

-NALs

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tuan said:
If color/physiognomy/type etc. are, as you think, racial slurs, why does my wife's passport classify here as "Indio"?
"Racism" mostly exists in the minds of those whose agendas need it to exist.

"Indio" on her passport refers to the color of her skin. Indians have that bronze color. Un color indio. Ella es indiesita. etc.

Wow I didn't have an idea of the breakdown ratios: mulatos/blacks/whites. I thought there were more whites, but I understand that there is a lot of mulatos inthe DR.

A few months ago I saw a program on Public TV where they did DNA genetic tests on many known public figures to find out what percentage of each race they had in their composition. Oprah was one of celebrities tested and I think her results came out to her being like 80% African and 20 American Indian. I would love to have one of those tests done, it would be interesting to know.

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
M.A.R. said:
"Indio" on her passport refers to the color of her skin. Indians have that bronze color. Un color indio. Ella es indiesita. etc.

Wow I didn't have an idea of the breakdown ratios: mulatos/blacks/whites. I thought there were more whites, but I understand that there is a lot of mulatos inthe DR.

A few months ago I saw a program on Public TV where they did DNA genetic tests on many known public figures to find out what percentage of each race they had in their composition. Oprah was one of celebrities tested and I think her results came out to her being like 80% African and 20 American Indian. I would love to have one of those tests done, it would be interesting to know. I look completly white but I'm sure there's some other mix in my family.

A bit off topic here. MAR congrats on your 100th post hehehe ;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
El Tigre said:
A bit off topic here. MAR congrats on your 100th post hehehe ;)

Tigre, not really, I thought it would be interesting if allthose mulatos that think that they are mostly of european descent would take that kind of test. They would be surprise of their background and they can stop bragging and thinking that they're better than the darker dominicans. Tu no crees?

Last edited:

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
M.A.R. said:
Tigre, not really, I thought it would be interesting if allthose mulatos that think that they are mostly of european descent would take that kind of test. They would be surprise of their background and they can stop bragging and thinking that they're better than the darker dominicans. Tu no crees?

hahahahaha sorry i meant to say what i was doing was off topic. congratulating you on your 100th post. i remember we spoke at the reunion and you said you would post more regularly. keep posting the good stuff!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
El Tigre said:
hahahahaha sorry i meant to say what i was doing was off topic. congratulating you on your 100th post. i remember we spoke at the reunion and you said you would post more regularly. keep posting the good stuff!

OHHHHH Thank You so much.... Making to the 100th post?? most of it from discussing the thread "middle class gentlemen inthe DR." It was a lot of fun.
thanks again Tigre.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
M.A.R. said:
A few months ago I saw a program on Public TV where they did DNA genetic tests on many known public figures to find out what percentage of each race they had in their composition. Oprah was one of celebrities tested and I think her results came out to her being like 80% African and 20 American Indian. I would love to have one of those tests done, it would be interesting to know.

If you follow this link, your wish may come true:

http://www.ancestrybydna.com/welcome/home/

kirklinv

Feb 20, 2006
Mirador said:
IMHO the ascription to a individual of a singular identity (e.g., "criollo, zambo, mestizo, or indio") to the exclusion of other facets of his/her personality, leads to the miniaturization of human beings. Reducing an individual to a choiceless singularity, such as the color of the skin, or the origins of remote ancestors, leads to the solitarist bilittling of human identity...
Mr kirklinv, let's try being a little less reductionist...

-

I can personally say that it would be hard for me to categorize someone by their descendents, or lable myself a "reductionist" being that I am mulatto myself (lol), just from another location. I find the cultural influences of the Dominican Republic interesting yet beautiful, and I'm definitely for the interlacing of different cultures and ethnicities because I am "mixed" myself!
I know that those classifications have caused problems over the years and still does. For example: I do field research in Lima and there are always problems with classification. The people live among each other, yet stay out of each other's way. I understand that different nations have different rules. Being that I understand where they're coming from, I wouldn't want to be classified in that manner either. In some countries like Brazil, Mexico, and Peru, those terms are still used (offensively and categorically). I personally don't use those terms when refering to an individual. I'd never base origin on skin color because genes determine all of that, not origin. My question was whether those categories are still used because in some nations they still use them (surprisingly). I will be visiting the Dominican Republic as a student and will be researching the culture. That question has came up many times in anthropology and the way we find out is through question. Despite my "origin" or ethnicity, I still consider myself American, whether mulatto or not. Out of respect, everyone in the Dominican Republic from whatever descent, is Dominican. I hope that clears things up. My question wasn't intended to offend anyone. In fact, the language suggests curiosity. Maybe you should re-read my question for better comprehension. I could see if I actually referred to someone as "mestizo" :ermm: geez. lol

p.s. Miss kirklinv

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
NALs said:

-NALs

NALs, you know I respect you and I Like your posts becuase you think about them, but that has got to be one of the worst statements you have ever posted. Procreate at alarming Rates? What on earth are you talking about!? What, the voodoo-besotted "African devils" cant control their urges so they procreate like rabbits? Do you realize how racist that is? Millions of Haitians in DR? There is not even a million. There are maybe 800,000. Consult FLACSO. Dont get carried away. YOu who are normally so careful of your facts and figures should be especially cautious here because this is a volatile subject and should be handled diplomatically. This kind of exaggerated generalizing just fuels the demagogic rhetoric of Castillo and his Nationalist gang, who have really made a mess of things vis a vis the handling of this grave problem. DR is the victim of a huge influx of Haitians as a result of many factors: the ineptitude of the international community in helping Haiti overcome its problems; the fallout from the expulsion of Aristide and the economic spiralling down of the Haitian economy; the collusion of the army and other sectors such as the agriculturalists, ingenios, and construction in human trafficking of migrant laborers; and also the fact that DOminicans refuse to work as peons, or swing hammers in the construction of the new skyscrapers, or swing machetes para tumbar la ca?a. They instead prefer to pull up stakes and move to the cities or abroad (where they are often treated with the same prejudice and misunderstanding that Haitians experience here. IN Florida, Dominicans cut cane).

Secondly, those of you who wish to safeguard Dominican culture and society against the incursions of the Haitians overlook the fact that the culture of this island is very much a blend of the two nations, and this blending continues apace. Down to the very use of the word Tiguere, which would not be pronounced that way were it not for the Haitians (see Lipe Callado's book), we are living in the midst of a constantly changing and blending, vivid, transformative culture. Haitians and Dominicans have far more in common than, say, a Dominican and a Gallego from Spain, or an Argentinian, or Bolivian, or Mexican, or C0lombian, or Venezuelan. We are Caribbean brothers, we share a small island. We need to help each other, not hate each other.

Vis a vis the hospital stats: those are extremely suspect. First of all the new social security law, which went into effect in October, makes it much harder for these people to get service inthe country's hospitals. They have no papers and there is no provision for them to pay for the services; they are routinely denied service. Secondly this is the second report from a hospital alleging the same basic problem (the first was here in the capital) and these findings are not examined, they are just reported as though they were self evident: they are not in fact. The doctors who make these charges are speaking on their own behalf and do so because they do not want to treat these people, despite the hippocratic oath that should govern their practice (I have been involved in various programs to sensitize these doctors and discuss the problems openly, so I know whereof I speak). The fact is these are just stories, they are exaggerated and they have not ever been scrutinized properly. This is propaganda, not statistical truth.

Ya no hables mas tonter?as.

(sorry NALs, dont wish to be harsh, I should tone it down, but this problem requires diplomacy, sympathy and humanity. Let's all try to be a little more understanding, a little more reflective, and a little more skeptical of the politically motivated statements of a few people who present themselves as authorities but never back their claims up properly. We need to cooperate, not militate.)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
macocael said:
NALs, you know I respect you and I Like your posts becuase you think about them, but that has got to be one of the worst statements you have ever posted. Procreate at alarming Rates? What on earth are you talking about!? What, the voodoo-besotted "African devils" cant control their urges so they procreate like rabbits? Do you realize how racist that is? Millions of Haitians in DR? There is not even a million. There are maybe 800,000. Consult FLACSO. Dont get carried away. YOu who are normally so careful of your facts and figures should be especially cautious here because this is a volatile subject and should be handled diplomatically. This kind of exaggerated generalizing just fuels the demagogic rhetoric of Castillo and his Nationalist gang, who have really made a mess of things vis a vis the handling of this grave problem. DR is the victim of a huge influx of Haitians as a result of many factors: the ineptitude of the international community in helping Haiti overcome its problems; the fallout from the expulsion of Aristide and the economic spiralling down of the Haitian economy; the collusion of the army and other sectors such as the agriculturalists, ingenios, and construction in human trafficking of migrant laborers; and also the fact that DOminicans refuse to work as peons, or swing hammers in the construction of the new skyscrapers, or swing machetes para tumbar la ca?a. They instead prefer to pull up stakes and move to the cities or abroad (where they are often treated with the same prejudice and misunderstanding that Haitians experience here. IN Florida, Dominicans cut cane).

Secondly, those of you who wish to safeguard Dominican culture and society against the incursions of the Haitians overlook the fact that the culture of this island is very much a blend of the two nations, and this blending continues apace. Down to the very use of the word Tiguere, which would not be pronounced that way were it not for the Haitians (see Lipe Callado's book), we are living in the midst of a constantly changing and blending, vivid, transformative culture. Haitians and Dominicans have far more in common than, say, a Dominican and a Gallego from Spain, or an Argentinian, or Bolivian, or Mexican, or C0lombian, or Venezuelan. We are Caribbean brothers, we share a small island. We need to help each other, not hate each other.

Vis a vis the hospital stats: those are extremely suspect. First of all the new social security law, which went into effect in October, makes it much harder for these people to get service inthe country's hospitals. They have no papers and there is no provision for them to pay for the services; they are routinely denied service. Secondly this is the second report from a hospital alleging the same basic problem (the first was here in the capital) and these findings are not examined, they are just reported as though they were self evident: they are not in fact. The doctors who make these charges are speaking on their own behalf and do so because they do not want to treat these people, despite the hippocratic oath that should govern their practice (I have been involved in various programs to sensitize these doctors and discuss the problems openly, so I know whereof I speak). The fact is these are just stories, they are exaggerated and they have not ever been scrutinized properly. This is propaganda, not statistical truth.

Ya no hables mas tonter?as.

(sorry NALs, dont wish to be harsh, I should tone it down, but this problem requires diplomacy, sympathy and humanity. Let's all try to be a little more understanding, a little more reflective, and a little more skeptical of the politically motivated statements of a few people who present themselves as authorities but never back their claims up properly. We need to cooperate, not militate.)
Maco, I will break this response into several chuncks:

1. The rate the Haitian population is growing in Haiti is alarming. Currently it's at 2.60% annually, where as the DR is at 1.73%. For comparison, Panama is at 1.60% and Puerto Rico at 0.4%.

The global average is 1.14%, so yes, I think it's alarming.

How is Haiti going to feed those extra mouths? Haiti already has the 3rd highest rate of hunger in the world, the highest anywhere outside of Africa according to the United Nations, where are they going to feed those extra mouth from?

Haiti's population growth rate is as alarming as is its infant mortality rate at 71.65 death per 1,000 live births. This is use as an indicator of health in any given country. By comparison, DR's infant mortality rate is 28.25 death per 1,000 live births and the global average is 48.87 death per 1,000 live births.

Haiti's life expectancy is 53 years, whereas the DR is 72, Venezuela is 75, the US is 78 and the world average is 65. Yes, Haiti's low life expectancy is alarming.

What's the definition of alarming? To fill with fear. To give warning to.

Those figures are fearsome by the sheer nature of what will happen?

It is alarming and something must be done to curve this for the sake of Haiti and the Haitians themselves. If nothing is done, Haiti will self implode beyond what it has already and the Haitians in the DR will become even more marginalized as the amount of resources that reaches them will not be enough to supply the mere basics.

This sounds alarming to me. And no, it has nothing to do with their race, it's just the facts available that creates fear in the minds of those who worry of what will happen to Haiti and it's people if they don't get into the development trayectory soon. Personally, I don't think Haiti can withstand another 50 years of explosive population growth, miserable life expectancy, and all the other problems they have many times worst than in the DR and sometimes, they have problems in their country that are unkown in the DR.
--------

2. I agree Haiti needs help, but the DR is already helping Haiti the most it possibly can. The DR has trade agreements with Haiti, flow of goods is unhindered at the border. Despite the illegality, the DR manages to support the presence of millions of Haitians (we can dispute the actual number into oblivion, I'm going by what the official data states, not speculation) which helps alleviate some of the pressures in Haiti, the DR has been asking for help for Haiti at international organizations such as the UN, what else do people want?

The DR is Haiti's best friend, despite the tomoultous history between the two nations. Now, if every other North American, Central American, and Caribbean nations would have been as generous and patient as the DR has been, maybe Haiti would have been out of it's downward spiral along time ago. The DR cannot help Haiti by itself, a strong country needs to take a lead in this since the DR also needs help, albeit much less help than Haiti does.
--------

3. Compare any two country on earth and you are bound to find similarity, after all, all nations are filled with people. However, the differences is what makes each country the unique society that it is.

Having said this, there are many differences between DR and Haiti as there are similarities.

Haiti's masses speak Creole, the elites French and English. In the DR, it's all Spanish, different dialects, of course, but Spanish is Spanish.

Haiti's recognized religions are Catholicism and Vodu, DR is only Catholicism, albeit all religions are tolerated and a segment of the population believes in brujeria.

Haiti is a much more homogenous country than the DR is.

Haiti has a different array of flora, mostly altered by intensive human activity, whereas in the DR there are vast areas of forest, some of which is still virgin.

Haiti is one of the least visited countries on earth, tomoultous at the moment, with an economy that is extremely fragile and not growing by much. DR is one of the most visited countries in the Caribbean, politically stable, economically growing and strengthening.

I can go on and on pin pointing why there is a border and why the two countries exist.

Then there is the question of why did you chose to live in the DR instead of Haiti? If they are both similar, why was Haiti not your choice?

Obviously, there is something different about the DR that inclined you towards choosing her over Haiti as a place to live. What was it?

These two countries are only similar in the sense that all countries of the world are similar, but they are NOT the same much in the way the US is NOT the same as Canada or Angola is NOT the same a The Congo.
--------

4. Economics is the one thing that influences people more than anything else. Once this is settled, other things take priority but until this has not been fulfilled, this will dominate the thoughts and decision of a person.

First one must think of what is economically sound for a country, a community, a people and then comes everything else.

I'm sure at the end of the day, you make sure your personal finances are in check. You will never dare become reckless with your finances, because without that there is nothing. No time or means of entertainment, or enjoying art, or traveling, or eating, or anything.

So too must a nation and for this reason, economics comes above all else, at least in my book.

Protect your economy and things will begin to work the way they should, don't protect your economy and watch anarchy and breakdowns occur.

Protecting is not always shutting the borders or anything, it's making decisions that are economically sound at the time. If a country is in need of cheaper labor because labor has gotten too expensive, then open the border. If labor has gotten so cheap the rich can get their coats so cheap that the one who made it starves in the process, despite working like a mule, then close the border, encourage economic growth and watch the wages rise.

Obviously, it's not as simple as that and I can get extremely detailed in this department but for the sake of discussion I'll end it here.

Oh, and please, don't use the race card with me. The only people I see using that are those who assume that just because I'm Dominican or anything and I say something that may not be "politically correct" at the time that it must mean I'm a racist or a sexist or whatever. I'm not!

If I've said something, then there are many many others who have thought it! Somebody needs the guts to say what others are only thinking and refuse to say anything out of fear of repercussions.

Haiti's population growth rate is alarming. To say otherwise is to agree that the future and young generations of Haiti deserve to starve and live a life of misery.

I'm sorry, but I am not of that mindset. I cannot look in the eyes of a defenseless little child and tell him, I want you and your future generations to starve to death by not caring of the relation between available resources and population growth.

I'm sorry, I can't do that.
---------

5. Regarding culture, I recognize cultures need to change and evolve, it's the nature of things. That's how Dominican culture came to be, anyways.

This is not what worries me, but everything else here is.

-NALs

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Nal0whs...

Hey, boss, we love your passion (well, I do), but it seems as if you missed on what macocael had to say.

macocael, the more I read your posts, the more I want. Good job.