Arrabiata Recipe

We were recently in DR and had "arrabiatta" sauce on pasta. It was delicious and I would like to make it at home. The one we had was a smooth tomato sauce with a hot, peppery flavor.
Does anyone have a recipe for this sauce? Thank you!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Arrabiata sauce is a basic tomato sauce with lots of crushed red chili pepper!

Saute one diced onion and two cloves of minced garlic in a pot with about 3 tbls. of olive oil. When soft add one 28 oz can of Italian plum tomatoes that have been seived or put through a blender.
Add crushed or fresh red chili pepper until desired 'heat' is reached (start off with a little and add as the sauce cooks until it is hot enough for you - I make mine 'al diavolo' instead of 'arrabiata'). Arrabiata means 'angry' while al diavolo means 'as the devil' (or hot as hades!)
Cook over medium heat, adding salt and pepper to taste, until thick.

Add basil (dried or fresh) about two minutes before serving.

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

Serve over pasta (spaghetti, linguine, fettucine, tagliatelli, etc).

Enjoy with a glass of red wine and garlic bread!!

You're welcome!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ahhh but then it isn't arrabiata!!

Can't for the life of me remember what it's called with the olives and capers not being from Italy myself but when PapaTony gets home from work I'll ask if it hasn't come to me by then. He might remember.
Mayby AnnaC can pipe in here with the name. She might also know........:bunny:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You're right!!! I thought of it the same moment I clicked the post reply button!
Dang....with all the "puta's" running around Juan Dolio I shoulda' remembered it right away!!

'Course then I got a phone call so it took awhile to get back here......:)