Another immigration question.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
What other documents other than flight ticket stubs, calling cards and telephone bills, photos of the couple together, can be used to prove a relationship. I need to start collecting these things now.

Is there anything else i could use help to prove my relationship is real to the immigration in canada.

Thanks!

p.s. is the dominican republic services the only place that a person can get these legal documents(birth certificate, single status declaration, passport)translated? The cost of it all seems kind of high. approx $400 is that correct?

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
susy said:
What other documents other than flight ticket stubs, calling cards and telephone bills, photos of the couple together, can be used to prove a relationship. I need to start collecting these things now.

Is there anything else i could use help to prove my relationship is real to the immigration in canada.

Thanks!

p.s. is the dominican republic services the only place that a person can get these legal documents(birth certificate, single status declaration, passport)translated? The cost of it all seems kind of high. approx $400 is that correct?

letters from family members/close friends who will attest to the date you met and the rest of that stuff....

if you can, also include a letter from a well known member in the community... perhaps a govt official who knows you.. or one you can bribe into writing the letter for you.

id suggest learning proper english (if, of course, your english isnt up to par)

also, a tip that most people dont understand is this one....
when youre interviewed they're likely to ask you this question:

what if we refuse your application?

answer like this:

well.. we love each other very much and want to live in canada. however, if for a reason you decline my application, i guess we'll live here.. as long as we're together it really doesnt matter where we are.

trust me they'll love it.. its a small trick the good lawyers will teach you.. no fee at the boogieshop!:glasses:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
A few other things...

I had Angel as a beneficiary to my life insurance policy, so I sent a copy of this (somewhat risky move to other "couples" I've heard of ;) ).

Have you exchanged cards/letters/e-mails/faxes to him and/or his family? Send copies.

Pictures of you with his family/him with your family.

Gift receipts. If you WU'd, I'd send these too.

Wedding purchase receipts (the idea being that people who marry only for visas wouldn't throw a big wedding - it would be a quickie JP wedding with only a couple of people).

As for document translation, I didn't translate anything when I sent my papers, but that was a few years back. I think Nelly translated her own, but I could be wrong. Someone on this site did, not too long ago - I remember a post about it. I will see if I can find it.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
boogieman said:
letters from family members/close friends who will attest to the date you met and the rest of that stuff....

if you can, also include a letter from a well known member in the community... perhaps a govt official who knows you.. or one you can bribe into writing the letter for you.

id suggest learning proper english (if, of course, your english isnt up to par)

also, a tip that most people dont understand is this one....
when youre interviewed they're likely to ask you this question:

what if we refuse your application?

answer like this:

well.. we love each other very much and want to live in canada. however, if for a reason you decline my application, i guess we'll live here.. as long as we're together it really doesnt matter where we are.

trust me they'll love it.. its a small trick the good lawyers will teach you.. no fee at the boogieshop!:glasses:
In addition to your US, British and impending Dominican citizenships, I didn't realize you were Canadian also (or have been through the Canadian Immigration process)..

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I just re-read your other post, Susy - I'd forgotten that you had been married before. Why are the translations going to cost $400? You only need the Divorce Certificate translated, I'm told, not the whole thing. I have a friend who has to do the same thing due to a divorce, and she was also told to use Dominican Services. I can't see why any certified translator can't do the job, but call CIC to get your answer for sure. Anyone's guess is as good as yours - so best not leave it up to a guess.

Good luck!

susy

Sep 30, 2004
legalized

So i just need to get the legalization of the declaration of single status and the divorce certificate legalized correct.

Also, i don't need to get my passport and birth certificate translated correct? They're legalized already so no need for legalizing it again. right?

Sorry if i sound so basic with having to ask all these questions. i'm just making sure i don't get suckered into having to pay for things that are truly not necessary.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
HOWMAR said:
In addition to your US, British and impending Dominican citizenships, I didn't realize you were Canadian also (or have been through the Canadian Immigration process)..

blah blah blah blah....

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
susy said:
So i just need to get the legalization of the declaration of single status and the divorce certificate legalized correct.

Also, i don't need to get my passport and birth certificate translated correct? They're legalized already so no need for legalizing it again. right?

Sorry if i sound so basic with having to ask all these questions. i'm just making sure i don't get suckered into having to pay for things that are truly not necessary.

I didn't say that, but I didn't explain myself very well, either. I meant to say that you didn't need all the divorce documents translated, just the Divorce Certificate. As far as I know, now you do need to get the single status, passport, and birth certificate translated. At the time that Angel immigrated, we didn't translate anything, but I hadn't been divorced before, either. Your best bet is to call CIC and get your answers. Immigration rules change all the time, and they should be able to answer these questions.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
susy said:

Susy, you will need to get the dec of single status and divorce cert not just legalized, but translated as well. As well, you will have to get the birth certifcate legalized and translated too. Are you getting married at a resort? If NOT, then you may not need it for sure... but if so, then you will. Yes, seems like a waste of MONEY!!!!!!!!
Good luck :)