Questions about crime - split thread

christyhughes

Apr 25, 2006
I am in the beginning stages of researching moving to the DR and came across this forum. Is the crime as bad as you all make it out to be? I live in a suburb of Tampa, FL and hear of crime all the time, but I don't live in fear. It sounds like, being a single woman, I would not be safe walking down the street.

Please let me know if I should abandon my plan to move.

Moderator's note: This thread was split out from the original here http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49644

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
christyhughes said:

No. You should just do your research very thoroughly. If you decide to live somewhere, check out your area. Is it safe? What does the neighbors say? What is the general level of security around you?

Walking down the road you should not be laden down with cameras, cell phones, expensive bags or purses. You should have your eyes open in terms of what is happening around you.

With making new friends you should be sure who you are associating with. Employees, cleaners, gardeners or other service personnel should be checked out thoroughly.

And so on.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah we are all just people who have been here a long time and have never heard of these kinds of things happenning, you get the feeling when you live here that there is virtually no crime, no violent crime anyway.

Plenty of theft and domestic stuff like drunkass people beating their spouses, but you could be walking home from the corner store at 11 PM and come accross a group of 7 or 8 guys heading your way on the sidewalk and it wouldn't even occur to you to freak out the way you would if that were to happen in the US or Canada. You just smile and wave, and so do they and it's all good.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Dont be Scared

christyhughes said:
I am in the beginning stages of researching moving to the DR and came across this forum. Is the crime as bad as you all make it out to be? I live in a suburb of Tampa, FL and hear of crime all the time, but I don't live in fear. It sounds like, being a single woman, I would not be safe walking down the street.

Christy, you cannot tell anything about a place from the threads you read on a board. Forget all this. I live a perfectly fine life here, raise my daughter, who is an exceedingly happy child, and we have a nice set of friends, neighbors and acquaintances here. When I pick my daughter up from school we run a gauntlet of people here on the Av Bolivar in the capital all of whom stop and talk with us and want to know all about my daughter and the family, and they give her free fruit and sweets, etc etc. And if they dont see us for a day or two they inquire, "o pero tu estas perdido, que pas??" Does that happen in NYC, my hometown (it did when I was a little boy, but not anymore)? Do complete strangers jump in if my daughter gets away from me, and help to make sure that she doesnt run into the street -- they do here. Here people still think in terms of "it takes a whole village - - - " Even in the capital, at least in my nabe.

remember that alot of this discussion takes place in thecontext of a surprise at the recent crime "wave" (more like a wavelet) because prior to Hipolito's reign of corrupt ineptitude, this sort of thing was almost unheard of. There has always been crime, but now it is being "democratized" or spread out a bit more. Still, on a daily basis, I rarely think about it. I was mugged several times in New YOrk city during the years I lived there. Several altercations, fights, etc. Never here. Never. I have travelled almost everywhere on this island too, from Cristo Rey to Elias Pi?a, never had a problem and have always met lots of great people.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Christyhughes,
Welcome to DR1. My first question to you is have you ever been to our beautiful island? If not then I suggest that you come on down and check it out. I myself am originally from Tampa and moved here in 96. I married a Dominican and we have a seven year old son. Like Macacoel says the people here watch out for each other especially children. Being from the US I am very protective of my son but in reality I needn’t be because someone always has an eye out for the children and that’s the culture here.

The lack of crime here was a big selling point as to why I decided to stay here along with the fact that everyone speaks to each other and always greet each other when they meet or pass a total 180% turnaround from life in the US.

Starting in about 2001 the crime here has increased and the types of crime have changed from the years prior. Having said that then let me also add that in comparison to the US there is none as the US has much more crime then here. Having been raised in the US and having traveled all over the world I have learned how to conduct and present myself to diminish the possibility of a crime happening to me. In the 10 years I’ve been here I’ve had no problems with crime against me, my family or my house and property.

The problem for me is that the typical Dominican has not had the upbringing that we Americans have had and because of that this present wave is completely foreign to them and I would think it along with the use and selling of drugs has them in a state of miscomprehension where to us Americans it is a normalcy of parts of life.

Rick

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
Hmm DR is pretty safe accually... i mean neighbors and even strangers help out each other when they're in need theres no real BIG issue on crime just play it safe dont wear things that attract too much attention to yourself , be aware of your surroundings and everything would be fine

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I feel safer here than anywhere else I have lived in my life, which is a pretty long list.
Still, when a person first moves here, he/she would do well to hook up with some expats of good reputation to get advice on what to watch for.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Good advice all around.......

We walk down the street here every day (and most evenings also) much as we do back home in Canada.

Recent events have us all shocked (as you would be if it happened in your meighbourhood in Tampa -which is where my son lives ) however we do realize that somehow they are all connected.

The person who was 'eliminated' and I use that word deliberately in our complex was engaged in a 'high risk' occupation - that of a change bank (cambio) and was at risk. We ourselves had suggested more than once to him that he was 'playing with fire' and was apt to get 'burnt'.

None of the restaurant or guest house owners in the area are afraid for their safety.

What recent events have reinforced is the knowledge that a functioning police department and justice system is sorely lacking in the country, as is the case in many third world countries.

What you must remember is that the Dominican Republic IS a third world country, with all the fallicy's of a Spanish dominated heirarcy and one must conduct themselves accordingly.

Simply put this means you do your homework, find a relatively 'safe' area to live in, associate with the 'right' people and don't put yourself in situations that could lead to 'problems'.

So come on down.......look around, stay for awhile and decide if the DR is where you want to make your home!

If you need specific info on the Juan Dolio area feel free to PM me! Evn with recent events, it is still one of the safest areas on the island!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky said:
Still, when a person first moves here, he/she would do well to hook up with some expats of good reputation to get advice on what to watch for.

People "of good reputation" is the important part. If you keep hearing people refer to a particular individual as a less than desirable person...you'd best heed their advice. We all have one or two enemies in the world but if someone manages to alienate damn near everyone...take note.

There are plenty of good people around who will give you sound advice. Get a variety of opinions on things and then do your own thing.

Scandall

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks so much you guys for putting this in perspective for a new poster. This thread and the one that it was born from, probably gave me my biggest 'moderation' challenge ever. I'm happy to report that both threads are well and alive and good! :knockedou

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
... Having said that then let me also add that in comparison to the US there is none as the US has much more crime then here.
Rick, that is pure speculation. I haven't seen any statistics to back that up. :nervous:

To the OP, I do not live in the DR, but I've been traveling there for about 15 years and IMHO I have noticed that there has been an uptick in violent crime (and not coincidentally, drug use as well).

Whether that uptick is a pattern for the future or just a temporary blip, remains to be seen. One thing for sure, I don't feel as safe in the DR as I once have; and for the first time I am considering other areas of the world for my ultimate retirement.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Easy Money

rellosk said:
... One thing for sure, I don't feel as safe in the DR as I once have....
Same here (in Saman?).
Although I like to believe that becoming a victim still has to do a lot with being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I must say that a lot of ugly things have happened to friends and one wonders whether one could be next...

Traffic has also become much more dangerous.

The biggest threat yet I feel is the justice system in which almost anybody who wants to can rob your money and property with a little help of a so called abogado and a so called juez.

m'frog

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, I do agree with this statement......

rellosk said:
One thing for sure, I don't feel as safe in the DR as I once have.

Things definitely are not as they once were. We used to walk several kilometers in the evening after dark, whereas now we limit our stroll to a few blocks. We didn't used to have muggings and the Politur carried firearms and were a visible presence that responded to 'threats'. They knew all the 'regulars' and strangers to the area were observed closely and questioned frequently.

The Politur are still around, although not as visible as in previous years, and heaven forbid that you should need their help. The year we were mugged one of the perpetrators was wearing a Politur shirt!???

Has crime gotten worse....Yes.

Is it more violent......Yes.

Are there drugs where none were before.....Yes.

Is it any different than in country we came from.....NO

Every country in the Western hemisphere is feeling the effect of increasing drug use and increasing crime.

We are also not as safe in Canada as we used to be.....the difference is in the way crime is treated - in the way the police and judicial system function.

Does that mean we shouldn't be in the DR??

If one answers yes then one must consider if it also means we shouldn't be in our 'home' country.

It is each persons' responsibility to ensure their own safety by doing the right things to be safe wherever you happen to be.

I used to be able to leave my front door unlocked when I left the house (in Canada) however now it is a matter of safety to ensure that it is locked....

So be smart and be safe and remember.....schitt happens!