Seeking To Find Info On Bartending

J-DUB

Apr 25, 2006
Hi,
I am 24 years old male currently living in Seattle. I'm trying to find any information I can on coming down to the D.R. in hopes of finding a job bartending. I have much experience bartending busy places, knowledge with drinks, and can perform some level of tricks and flair. My Spanish is a bit rusty (haven't used it for a while), but the ability to pick it back up quickly is very realistic. I would appreciate any advice that could be given on how bartenders do finacially, any leads on good areas to search, and if many places would be interested in hiring a new to the area American, thanks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi J-DUB, I would say Cabarete and Sosua would be your best places to try. You'll have a hard time finding a job though. If you can hang out for a couple of months and get to know the owners, the other bartenders and so on, you'll probably find something. But it will take time and networking. Your salary including tips will probably be about 20% of bartending wages in the US though.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You have to be willing to accept the lower wages as a price for living in Paradise.
We are now coming into low season so it's a hard time to get a job, and it will pay less than in high season, as most of a bartender's salary is from tips.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is a new piano bar opening soon in Juan Dolio that might be in need of a bartender. Supposed to be a 'classy' place.
However I can't give you a number to call....you'd have to be there to speak to the owner.
Therefore best advice is come down with enough money to see you through a few months and have a look up close and personal if you want to find employment.

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
When are you coming and where are you planning on settling down in the DR and for how long?
Post some more info or PM me

Rich

J-DUB

Apr 25, 2006

Ruffino1974 said:
When are you coming and where are you planning on settling down in the DR and for how long?
Post some more info or PM me

Rich
My lease wears off in May. I was going to try and come down in May or June depending on the potential of a job. I would like to check out Santo Domingo, but again, where I moved would all depend on the job aspect. I was looking at about 6 mos to a year stay, maybe longer if I decided I would like to obtain citizenship.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
J-DUB said:
My lease wears off in May. I was going to try and come down in May or June depending on the potential of a job. I would like to check out Santo Domingo, but again, where I moved would all depend on the job aspect. I was looking at about 6 mos to a year stay, maybe longer if I decided I would like to obtain citizenship.
Obviously (I hope) you realize that the job marketin May and June in the tourist industry (bars and restaurants) is not like the winter high season. There is some spike in the summer with European travelers, but you will be competing with the locals for a relatively low paying job.