Never been to the DR

christyhughes

Apr 25, 2006
I am a single woman in my 30s and I am thinking of moving to the DR, but I have never been there. So I would like to visit before making a decision. I am a science and math teacher and would like to teach at an english school. I am open to any suggestions anyone can give for my first trip to visit and/or finding a job and/or moving. Are there any areas that are a must to visit (not as tourist, but as a prospective resident)?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
TEFL, etc.

christyhughes said:
.... I am a .... teacher and would like to teach at an english school....
England then?

These days the number of foreign teachers who feel compelled to help this country with their skills is overwhelming and indeed encouraging.

Yes, this country needs you...
and your money.
Welcome.

m'frog

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Use the search function.....

Keywords.....

Teaching, English Schools, Pay rates, best places to live,

Before you even begin to think of moving here you need to come for summer vacation and spend a couple months touring the country, familiarizing yourself with the island.

Better yet volunteer with one of the organizations that do charity work here and you'll experience real life in the DR.

Have you thought of moving to one of the Asian or Middle Eastern countries that are crying for English language teachers???

Or has the lure of a tropical paradise close to home infiltrated your grey matter?

Asia and the middle east have tropical paradises also at a much more lucrative pay scale.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Forgot to ask......

Do you speak Spanish?????

Even if you could get a job teaching in an English language school, you will still need to speak the local language!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Most people will advise you to stay here for an extended period of time, to feel out the place, find the area you want to live in and secure work, before moving here, and good advice it is, but I can tell you that I and several others have moved here with very little preparation and just made it work.
If you want it bad enough, you can make it work out.
You have to have the right attitude and be willing to do anything (within reason) to get started.
You may want to consider the Sosua-Cabarete area, as there are a lot of other expats here who could help you out with advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go to some job fairs in the States and get hired there by one of the Dominican schools that look for next year's teachers at these fairs.. The pay is much better. The job fairs can be found in the search function

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Hillbilly is right in his advice. The job fairs are usually in February though so you might have to wait a while. As far as I know A. Lincoln school in La Romana is the only one that follows a modified English (country - not language) curriculm and they don't go to the job fairs in the States they go to the one in London. You might try contacting Harry McGee - he is the headmaster at Lincoln.

Spanish is helpful in everyday life but it is not a necessity at some of the schools. So don't let a lack of Spanish stop you from coming. Just learn it as you live here, that's what we did.

benna

Jan 30, 2006
Rocky makes a good suggestion. When I moved here, I planned a two month trip to figure out if I liked the area and country. If I didn't, it was just a two month holiday and I could go home at the end of it.

I did fall in love with the life here and have been kicking around Sosua for just over three months now....

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Just a suggestion what u can do and thats what im planning on doing in sept is why dont u get an open ticket so if ever u dont like u can go back home when ever u want but do give it 2 months to mk sure u adapt to the life style