electricity connection costs-cabarete area

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
can someone tell me what the cost will be to;
connect public electricity to my house and any other 1*costs (eg electricity meter that may have to be purchased ect)?

is there a wait time for this job to take place?

contact details of the office that organises this?
thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Edenorte. They have an office in Puerto Plata city where you will need to apply. The last time I checked, there was a RD$3,000 start fee. It may be more now, also depends on what you have installed in your dwelling.

Looking at different power bills I have at hand, you may be billed from around RD$4 the kWh for consuming under 500 kWh a month to about double that when going over that amount.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Had there previously been electricity running to your house, or is this a new connection?
If there is no Edenorte office in Cabarete, the Sosua office may handle it.
We have set up new accounts for houses in Sosua, that had wiring in place, by applying at the Sosua office.
If the house already had service in the past, there may be some outstanding debts to be paid before they hook you up.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
hi thanks for the replies
the house is new and completely finished so no previouse service existed.
i just thought i may be hit with a $1000 new meter and connection costs ect.
so you really think ill only be up for 3000pesos and ill be up and running???
whats the next rate go to $4rd pkwt then after 500kwt how much per kwt???
i plan to run a pool pump!
thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know the prices for a first time installation, but you may be required to pay for wire, if your house is far from the existing lines.
At least you won't have to pay outstanding debts.
Is there any chance that you have a good Dominican friend who can apply for you?
I do believe that you may get both the installation cheaper and a better rate per KW of consumption.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Dolores said:
Edenorte. They have an office in Puerto Plata city where you will need to apply. The last time I checked, there was a RD$3,000 start fee. It may be more now, also depends on what you have installed in your dwelling.

Looking at different power bills I have at hand, you may be billed from around RD$4 the kWh for consuming under 500 kWh a month to about double that when going over that amount.

hi delores
in your opinion what amount of kwh per mth do you think i may use
im only one person /2 fans/ small fridge/ washing machine/tv.....fairly constant useage of these items too 12 hrs daily or more (tv/fans)! Do you think id easily remain under 500kwh per mth??????
cheers

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Rocky said:
I don't know the prices for a first time installation, but you may be required to pay for wire, if your house is far from the existing lines.
At least you won't have to pay outstanding debts.
Is there any chance that you have a good Dominican friend who can apply for you?
I do believe that you may get both the installation cheaper and a better rate per KW of consumption.

does that matter....hah! i shouldnt be surprised though ie get a mate to get a better rate for me ect!!!!
thanks again

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
billyidol said:
hi delores
in your opinion what amount of kwh per mth do you think i may use
im only one person /2 fans/ small fridge/ washing machine/tv.....fairly constant useage of these items too 12 hrs daily or more (tv/fans)! Do you think id easily remain under 500kwh per mth??????
cheers

You should fall under 500 kWh. Then you would pay under RD$1,500 a month.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
But if you will be operating a swimming pool, doubt your bills will be under RD$10,000. That pump will push you into the plus 500+ bracket.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
We also have a new house in cabarete that needs electricity and has a pool. On our pool at home (in Canada) we purchased a timer so that the pump only comes on at certain times as it doesn't need to be running 24/7. Can you purchase these timers in the DR or should we bring one with us? This timer would then allow you to set the pump to come on for a few hours a day (enough to clean the pool etc.) and should reduce the electricty usage.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Power & Pool Pumps

Timers on your pool pump won't work because the power isn't on long enough to complete a cycle. Unless you have your own generator that can replenish your bank of batteries, on an ongoing basis, there is no way to time the pump. Once the power starts going off and on your timer will be out of sync!!

:ermm: