What to pack?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Will be moving to the DR in the next few months, wondering what those of you who have already moved can give me some insight as to what you wished you had brought and what you should have left.. trying to cut down on packing.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Welcome

Where are you coming from? It may be easier if you write a list of those items you need in your life back home (couldn't live without!) and then ask whether you can purchase them in the DR?

It really depends person to person I think

Which part of the island are you moving to?
Daydream

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What to pack?

Need answers to the following questions then you will receive more detailed information.

Is your stay longterm?

Are you a citizen or legal resident?

How many members in your household?

Where do you plan to settle?

Can you live in an area with frequent power interruptions, sporadic water, distribution, and limited transport.

Are you renting, leasing, or buying?

If you are renting or leasing, do you want a furnished household or unfurnished?

If you are buying do you intend to purchase furnishings here?

Will you depend on personal transport or public transport?

A little background information regarding the above questions may help the forum provide a proper advice to you.

Regards,
PJT

benna

Jan 30, 2006
things I wish I brought....

If you wear contacts, bring plenty of contact solution. Not only is it hard to find here, but the way it is priced, you would think you are buying liquid gold!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good bed linen and towels and wash clothes should be on the list to bring.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
In answer to some of the questions, Yes, it will be a long term stay,
Not a legal resident or citizen, 2 people in household, Will be in the Sosua/Cabarete area, have a condo furniture and appliances will need upgrading, and for now will be using public transportation.

Thanks for the link on the towels and sheets also...
Spicedwine

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Spicedwine said:
In answer to some of the questions, Yes, it will be a long term stay,
Not a legal resident or citizen, 2 people in household, Will be in the Sosua/Cabarete area, have a condo furniture and appliances will need upgrading, and for now will be using public transportation.

Public transportation is good. My wife and I have been living here without a car for 20 years. We live in Sosua and will be glad to pass on some tips on using public transportation in place of a car.

Between Sosua, Puerto Plata and Santiago you can get most appliances and you are better off getting your furniture here. There are a number of threads in the archives on where to get furniture, either purchased from a store or made by a factory.

If my wife and I can help you in any way, PM me for our phone number and email address.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Public Transportation

Ken

I will be visiting (for about the 10th time) and staying for the first time in an apartment that is removed from the town (Sosua) for about 3-4 weeks.

I'm very interested to know the best way to travel with public transportation. I have used the bus/cab for 25 peso going from POP to Sosua.

I'm interested in coming from let's say the hills of Sosua to the town and back. Can I hire a taxi and for how much? Or what do you suggest.

Thanks for any info.
Ro

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Kitchen appliances?

Im in the same boat as the OP... and getting nervous and excited.

This may seem somewhat frivolous, but will I be able to find a decent and affordable blender down there? (I seem to remember some post about a bar on the north coast unable to make Margaritas...):ermm:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Be self-reliant and bring tools and hardware. The more the better. If you do your own handiwork you will have the satisfaction of knowing you performed the task and it is done to your specifications.

Regards,
PJT

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Here is what I have had friends bring for me.........

Here are some of the things that I have had friends bring for me that is
Tough to get here on the North Coast (I live in Gaspar Hernandez) or Priced out of whack:

Q tips, (The Brand Name) , tylenol, (Here they sell them Individually) , A good set of mastercraft or Craftsman tools , Power tools (Priced 2 -3 times more than home) , Kraft Peanut butter, Toothpaste (Expensive for the brands) , And home Entertainment items from Playstation and CD's to Home theaters. (Forget TV's Can't pack it in your suitcase and the taxes at the border make it sensible to buy here). Dove Soap, Decent running shoes, Good Frying pans, Good Cutlery, Good PENS Believe it or not (Like real Bic pens) , spices, like Dill, Basil, or exotic spices like coriander etc. Here is alot of Cinammon, Oregano and a few others but if you want to cook Italian Bring your own. Also poultry seasoning and Cranberries (Like the canned Ocean Spray) are hard or impossible to find. Neutrogena Shampoo , cartridges for your printer (CRAZY Expensive). A toaster (Can You Bring Me one too? !) A Wok . And Sweetener ! (VERY VERY Expensive here .....) Bed Linens, towels are not too too bad. A Hot Water Bottle. Bought one in Sosua this week cost me 475 Pesos ! (About 18 Dollars CAD) but we needed it. Oh, and Rub A535, (I Could use one of those too LOL !) Band AIds, Polysporin.

Blenders are about 1000-2000 Pesos (We just bought one) . You may want to consider a good juicer though.

Thats all that I can think of for now........... But these are based on experience, and disappointment when I couldnt find them. Good Luck and if you need a friend Franny and I are here !

Joe and Fran

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
what to pack

Thanks for the great list, that is the type of stuff I am trying to find out.. who would have thought pens. But for me that will be important.. Also the Neutrogena... one of my favorites... so that is giving me a great heads up on what to bring and what to unattach from... I appreciate all the imput.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
You are welcome.......

thought of a few other thing....

Tek Screws......... Impossible to find. AS a matter of fact some of those assorted screw plastic things that you can get at the hardware stores would come in really handy...... Nuts and bolts are always good to have around......

Any type of batteries for Vid Cameras , Digital Cameras, telephones etc etc...... Stock up on those off of ebay before you come too.........

If you like Strawberries .....Better bring Preserved Jams .......Or Strawberry preserves cause they suck here.

So does this mean that you will bring my stuff? toaster and A535?

(Ill pay you of course ! ) And for the transportation costs the normal currency is BEER !

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Will have to see how much space in luggage I have!! Can we switch the transportation costs to rum?? Have started making lists so everything is a help..

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Rum !

Sounds Cool !

Blanco? Extra Veijo, Anejo or Dorado ?

Whew Hewwwwwwwwwwwwwww TOAST ! Real TOAST Without the Propane taste !

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
fightingirish said:
This may seem somewhat frivolous, but will I be able to find a decent and affordable blender down there? (I seem to remember some post about a bar on the north coast unable to make Margaritas...):ermm:
The name of the place is Margaritas on Sosua beach (Casita #39). She now has a blender and actually makes Margaritas, about 10 different types.:)