where to stay?

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
Both times that I have been to the DR, I have stayed in AI's. I want to come down this fall, but I don't want to stay in a resort. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could stay? I want to stay in POP. Not looking for anything fancy, just a nice place to stay.
Once I'm down there, does anyone have any names or contacts for apartments? I figure I'll try to find one in the fall, so that when i move i'll have one already.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's much better to book a hotel for a few nights first and go apartment shopping, once you get here.
Seeing's believing, and you can always negotiate your best deal in person.

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
very true

Rocky said:
It's much better to book a hotel for a few nights first and go apartment shopping, once you get here.
Seeing's believing, and you can always negotiate your best deal in person.

That's the plan...gonna plan for a 2 week vacation. Nearing the end of my 2 weeks I'm going to go on the hunt. I have a friend that lives in POP, so I'm sure he's going to be of some help to me. But this time I want to experience something different, not the AI.

Has anywone ever heard of Sun Camp? It's abot 2km's from Playa Dorada...Or does anyone know of anyone who has stayed there?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mamichula24 said:
That's the plan...gonna plan for a 2 week vacation. Nearing the end of my 2 weeks I'm going to go on the hunt. I have a friend that lives in POP, so I'm sure he's going to be of some help to me. But this time I want to experience something different, not the AI.

Has anywone ever heard of Sun Camp? It's abot 2km's from Playa Dorada...Or does anyone know of anyone who has stayed there?

Isn't that the former Tropical House? Diane Pellerin's operation? Do a search on this board for Tropical House or Diane Pellerin - you'll come up with some VERY interesting stuff.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
mamichula24 said:
Too far, and not what you are looking for.
There are hotels right in town that are reasonably priced with good services.
POP members may be able to suggest which one is the best value.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Rocky said:
Too far, and not what you are looking for.
There are hotels right in town that are reasonably priced with good services.
POP members may be able to suggest which one is the best value.

Is it really only 2 km from Playa Dorada? I'd always thought it's farther than this.

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
On the website it says that's only about 2km's from the entrance of PD. There's a map on the webiste too. it's www.suncampdr.com. It looks fairly nice, though it seems out of the way. I was no looking stay during my vacation there, but is it set up for long stays?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
mamichula24 said:
On the website it says that's only about 2km's from the entrance of PD. There's a map on the webiste too. it's www.suncampdr.com. It looks fairly nice, though it seems out of the way. I was no looking stay during my vacation there, but is it set up for long stays?
I guess you haven't done a search in here yet.
It's considered by most to be less than desirable.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
mamichula24 said:

Have a read of these

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41710&highlight=camp

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22076&highlight=dianne+pellerin

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33236&highlight=dianne+pellerin

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
According to the details provided from the people who've actually stayed there or visited the place, their website is a joke. Anyone who has professed to have liked this place on the DR1 Board in the past has, in one way or another, disappeared (sock puppets). It is your perogative, of course, to see for yourself - maybe the place has changed in the last couple of years. Good or bad, please let us know what happens.

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
well well

Seems like this lady isn't nearly as reliable as she makes herself out to be. I found the info on the apartments through a search engine. I had no idea that is what she was like....well from all the posts, she doesn't seem too well liked.
I can see why people would want to stay there, with a job guarantee...but I know for sure I can't sell, and I won't sell....especially time shares. If I worked in a book store I might be able to sell you a book. Selling isn't one of my strong points.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
where to stay

Inexpensive, although may be considered a bit rustic( a 100+years old,wooden building) Hotel Castilla, near Central Park, rooms and 1 apartment, secure, pm or email for more information. Joanne

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
where to stay

field of dreams is a decent place to stay .staff is very friendly and rooms clean .its a small quaint place ...its right across from play dorada entrence .me and my sister stayed there and everyone was great .

web

Nov 5, 2005
In Sosua - El Colibri - Highly Recommended

I stayed at the El Colibri last week, and I highly recommend this place. First of all the owners and staff are great. Very friendly, and helpful. Rooms are great! Clean and comfortable. It is a very secure gated complex with a fantastic pool area, open air bar area and good food for breakfast and lunch. The location is only a short walk or motoconcho ride away from the beach. But just outside the secure complex you have many choices only steps away. For example, a small supermarket, little bars and cantinas all within 2 blocks. A great place for dominicana chicken on the corner, grilled over the coals. Restaurant El Batey, where I had a fantastic Filet Mignon in a mushroom sauce, El Toro Bar to the left as you leave the hotel. This hotel is very family oriented and quiet. Not too chica friendly if you plan on entertaining many girls, they don't go for that. But certainly, perfect for taking your girlfriend or wife or family there. Expect to pay anywhere from $30to $50 US per night, they have TV, A/C, everything you need. Car rental and even a language school if you want to brush up on your spanish. Beautiful manicured grounds, a lush tropical paradise. And the pool is wonderful, I am missing this place already. www. elcolibri . net . They speak English, Dutch, German and of course Espanol.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
web said:
I stayed at the El Colibri last week, and I highly recommend this place. .
The reason this hotel was not suggested to you, Web, was because you asked for "I would like to be on the beach,", and, as you now know, Colibri is a good 15 minute's walk from the beach.
Had we known you were willing to be that far away, we would have suggested better options.

web

Nov 5, 2005
hey, no problem. I actually stayed a couple nights at Sosua by the Sea, (fantastic but a little pricey for me) and the Waterfront Hotel (rooms not good for me, but great location) which are on the Ocean. My opinions changed once I found the El Colibri. The grounds more than make up for being so close to the beach, and you can hop a motoconcho for 20 pesos to the beach. Thanks for your help. I still found time to catch up on some work and emails while at Rocky's bar for breakfast and dinner one night, and yes the ribs are the absolute bomb there.

BluKris

May 19, 2005
If you decide to get away from the city...

I would like to suggest Pica Flor Aparta-hotel. I've been going there for years and lived there for awhile. It was an AI hotel in the 80's and now it rents out to tourist and some locals live there. It's a 5 mins motoconcho ride to Sosua beach. Mostly Canadians & Germen visitors kept clean and security is there after dark. It's very quite during the week and locals stay on holiday weekends and that is when the party starts :p . Down side-there is no AC, but the pool will cool you down ;) . It's 5 mins. from POP airport towards Cabarete, just after the water park on your left. Ask for Lillian, tell her Kristine sent you.;)

Last edited:

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I may be looking for the same thing in a couple of months but would like to stay right in the City of Puerto Plata--I have done an internet search and there doesn't seem to be many hotels in the City--is this so, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Puerto Plata city is not as touristic as Sosua or Cabarete, which explains why you are not finding many hotels or apartments on the net.
There are a lot of POP DR1 residents who may be able to give you recommendations, according to your needs.