Los Hidalgos/Bayaguana Info

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
I had posted this earlier on the Santo Domingo forum, since I believe this is near there... but I am trying to get as much information on this area as possible, as that is where my boyfriend just found out he will be living for Peace Corps. Has anyone been there (either Bayaguana or Los Hidalgos) that can tell me about it? Does anyone have a map that includes Bayaguana and/or Los Hidalgos? Also, how far is it to get to Bayaguana from Santo Domingo, and what is the quickest and most efficient way to get there?
Thanks so much!
Ambre

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Bayaguana is a nice little city about 1 hour north and east of Santo Domingo. The streets are now beginning to be paved. Most structures are wood, and the streets do have sidewalks and curbs in place. It is a slower pace than in Santo Domingo, and once you are past the edge of the town, you are in the country, with grassy pastures surrounded by fences and trees.

Sometime in the future (probably between 6 months and 6 years) , there will be a new major expressway that will run from eastern Santo Domingo and then past Bayaguana on its way north.

The easiest way to get there (if you don't have a car) is to ride the guaguas. (mid-size buses). There are express guaguas that go from Santo Domingo straight to Bayaguana . These buses are found below the elevated portion of 27 de Febrero, a few blocks east from Avenida Duarte, and near the end of the elevated portion just before the bridges over the river in Santo Domingo. They are on the north side, parked in front of a Texaco gas station found there. When you are in that area, just ask the drivers and they will get you on the right bus.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Nice quiet town in an area that doesnt get alot of visitors, it also has an interesting fiesta patronale. I like the area myself. On the same route if you head north you will cross the Eastern Cordillera and get breathtaking views from the mountains, then end up in a sleepy little town called Miches,from which you can take a boat to a nice beach called Playa Esmeralda.

The east around Barahona is mostly cattle and the surrounding regions have lots of cane. Not too far from the capital at all, and the ride is nice. Plus from there you have your choice of beaches to head to, and there is the Haitises National Park. All in all it is not a bad posting for a Peace Corps volunteer.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Thank you - what about Maps?

Thanks for the info - I am excited to visit now... I think I am going to find a job and live in SD and just visit him in his town of Los Hidalgos. Can you point me to a map that would show me all of this area - including Playa Esmeralda and the Eastern Cordillera? Also, I am in need of a good map of Santo Domingo...
Thanks again-
AMbre

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You can get almost any map made for La Republica, from Mapas Gaar, tel: 809-688-8004, El Conde # 502 (they are on the 2nd or 3rd floor), on the first corner heading away from Parque Independencia.

Their maps are also sold at most of the larger bookstores, like Cuesta or Thesaurus Books in Santo Domingo.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Exactly. Plus if you are in the states you can get some maps to start out. The best map of the country (but not the city of Santo Domingo) is Hildebrandt's. Get Sean Harvey's Rough Guide to DR also. Getting work wont be easy and wont pay much, so be prepared to struggle a bit. Perhaps you can get a job with one of the NGOs that have offices in the capital, and then you can share an apt with other young people and thus cut down on costs. Many young people do that.